Contribute
Register

[Guide] Acer S3-391 Ivy Bridge with Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of minor nitpicks:

You don't seem to be running a Darwin patch. If you're not adding Darwin to Method _INI with Clover (I generally stay away from Clover DSDT fixes and try to do things manually when possible), you'll need to apply that patch from RehabMan's repo.

https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/system/system_OSYS.txt as windows xp

You can edit Windows 2001 in that patch to be any of the appropriate options found in Method _INI. As a whole, this code doesn't seem to do much on your machine. Your DSDT has no conditionals for 0x07D9, Windows 2009 (Windows 7), so it does nothing different than the current code paths. There are a few conditionals that check for 0x07D6, Windows 2006 (Vista). The three Windows 2001 (XP) options have a couple of conditionals between them. If it were me, I'd probably edit the patch to apply for Windows 2009, even though it doesn't effect much.

Also, it doesn't look like you have the MCHC patch.
https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/system/system_MCHC.txt

For giggles you might try foregoing the ACPI_Backlight.kext by building an injector to use the stock AppleBacklight.kext. I followed this simple guide to get that working on my machine (use v2 script):

http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...screen-using-patched-applebacklight-kext.html

Otherwise, looks good; great work. :)

I love it how everytime you reply on this thread, I learn more and more! Thanks a million for the new info. I will try it out. It does indeed seem like a great idea to figure out how to use the original applebacklight.kext.

For the Darwin patch, I had never heard of it, and didn't really understand what it was for. On my desktop, I don't have that either. Or is this a laptop specific thingie?

I love it how everytime you reply on this thread, I learn more and more! Thanks a million for the new info. I will try it out. It does indeed seem like a great idea to figure out how to use the original applebacklight.kext.

The problem with it is you'll lose smooth transitions between levels (I wish I understood why).

For the Darwin patch, I had never heard of it, and didn't really understand what it was for. On my desktop, I don't have that either. Or is this a laptop specific thingie?

Refer to guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html

It is the "OS Check Fix" patches...

I have followed the guide, and gotten my laptop 90% there, I just can not get sleep when closing the top to work, nor can I get brightness to work. I

My specs

Acer Aspire S3-391-6046 ,

Processor Intel Core i3 2nd Gen. 2367M (1.4 GHz)

Intel HD Graphics 3000

I have installed all the recommended patches to my DSDT as well as installed the backlight kext.

Attached are my DSDT, SSDT and config.plist -

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• mark files .zip
    26.3 KB · Views: 107
I have followed the guide, and gotten my laptop 90% there, I just can not get sleep when closing the top to work, nor can I get brightness to work. I

My specs

Acer Aspire S3-391-6046 ,

Processor Intel Core i3 2nd Gen. 2367M (1.4 GHz)

Intel HD Graphics 3000

I have installed all the recommended patches to my DSDT as well as installed the backlight kext.

Attached are my DSDT, SSDT and config.plist -

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brightness/sleep/ACPI patches covered/linked from FAQ.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

The DSDT.aml you provide is not patched for backlight control.

Thanks Rehabman! Finally got it working. I couldn't find any DSDT patches called Brightness under the directory, so I read through them all and leveraged the graphics_PNLF_ivy_sandy.txt , patched my DSDT, and it worked! Thanks for the help.

I also used the DCPI manager to look at my P states - with the cord plugged in. It tells me P states 14, Current state 14, I unplug the cord it says P State 8,14, Current State 14. I also tried using the drop OEM flag in Clover and get the following, so I just removed the flag. - I am not sure what the IO error is but it does show it throttling down

1/26/16, 12:12:01 PM, P States: 8, 14
1/26/16, 12:11:54 PM, Current State: 14
1/26/16, 12:11:54 PM, P States: 8, 14
1/26/16, 12:11:48 PM, kernel[0]: considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel com.coresystems.driver.DirectHW triggered rebuild
1/26/16, 12:11:48 PM, Current State: 14
1/26/16, 12:11:48 PM, P States: 8, 14
1/26/16, 12:11:41 PM, Current State: 14
1/26/16, 12:11:41 PM, P States: 8, 14
1/26/16, 12:11:34 PM, Current State: 14
1/26/16, 12:11:34 PM, P States: 8, 14
1/26/16, 12:11:32 PM, P States: I/O error, throttling to 6Hz
1/26/16, 12:11:27 PM, Current State: 14
1/26/16, 12:11:27 PM, P States: 8, 14
1/26/16, 12:11:21 PM, Current State: 14
1/26/16, 12:11:21 PM, P States: 8, 14
1/26/16, 12:11:14 PM, Current State: 14
1/26/16, 12:11:14 PM, P States: 8, 14
1/26/16, 12:11:08 PM, Current State: 14
1/26/16, 12:11:08 PM, P States: 8, 14
1/26/16, 12:11:06 PM, P States: I/O error, throttling to 7Hz
1/26/16, 12:11:03 PM, P States: I/O error, throttling to 8Hz
1/26/16, 12:10:58 PM, Current State: 14
1/26/16, 12:10:58 PM, P States: 8, 14
1/26/16, 12:10:51 PM, Current State: 14
1/26/16, 12:10:51 PM, P States: 8, 14
1/26/16, 12:10:44 PM, Current State: 14
1/26/16, 12:10:44 PM, P States: 8, 14
1/26/16, 12:10:41 PM, P States: I/O error, throttling to 9Hz

I couldn't find any DSDT patches called Brightness under the directory,

It is because you were not using MaciASL properly. Next time, read the README.

I also used the DCPI manager to look at my P states - with the cord plugged in. It tells me P states 14, Current state 14,

Not possible to tell you anything. Your profile is not detailed enough.

--

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

Mobo: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
Mobo: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Note: When specifying your bootloader, if using Clover legacy, please be sure to specify "Clover legacy"). Specifying "Clover" will be assumed as "Clover UEFI"

Ok, thanks. I think I have all the info now.

Ok, thanks. I think I have all the info now.

The guide in post #1 is for Ivy Bridge/HD4000 (note title of thread).

You do not have Ivy Bridge... Instead you have Sandy Bridge/HD3000 (on 7-series), which will require different DSDT patches (this guide does graphics inject via DSDT), and different patches in config.plist (to enable HDMI audio).

You would also be using a different config.plist in order to boot the installer.

In addition, you will need a different SMBIOS for power management (MacBookPro8,x). And you should not use the Multiplex patch, but instead use FakePCIID+FakePCIID_XHCIMux.

Have you accounted for all these differences?

Thanks RehabMan!, I switched the SMBIOS to the Macbook Pro, and Installed the FakePCIID_XHCIMux. kext and got everything working except HDMI. I was reading through the master S3 thread, but still haven't figured out how to enable HDMI. What do I have to change in my config.plist to get HDMI working?

Thanks RehabMan!, I switched the SMBIOS to the Macbook Pro, and Installed the FakePCIID_XHCIMux. kext and got everything working except HDMI. I was reading through the master S3 thread, but still haven't figured out how to enable HDMI. What do I have to change in my config.plist to get HDMI working?

HDMI works OOB. You probably did something wrong to break it.

--

Download patchmatic: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-maciasl-patchmatic/downloads/RehabMan-patchmatic-2015-0107.zip
Extract the 'patchmatic' binary from the ZIP. Copy it to /usr/bin, such that you have the binary at /usr/bin/patchmatic.

In terminal,
Code:
if [ -d ~/Downloads/RehabMan ]; then rm -R ~/Downloads/RehabMan; fi
mkdir ~/Downloads/RehabMan
cd ~/Downloads/RehabMan
patchmatic -extract

Note: It is easier if you use copy/paste instead of typing the commands manually.

Post contents of Downloads/RehabMan directory (as ZIP).

Also, post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

And output from:
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
kextstat|grep -y applelpc

Also, post EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory, especially if you have an overabundance of themes installed.

Also post output of:
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Compress all files as ZIP. Do not use external links. Attach all files using site attachments only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back