Asus Z170 VIII Maximus Gene
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

This guide is an update and a summary of Crunchie's Mavericks guide and the Master Thread.

Firstly, many thanks to Crunchie, Kidman, Rehabman, Dominic714342 and all the others who contributed their results!

Following on from getting this laptop to work with Mavericks, here is the method for Yosemite with Clover.

A. PRE-INSTALL

First of all, enter the BIOS of the laptop (F2), load setup defaults and ENABLE the F12 function.

Follow the Clover guide.
In my case, I installed Clover in the ESP of my USB drive.

Install clover configurator and make these changes to your config.plist:
Acpi —> DSDT.aml
Boot —> Verbose, dart=0, kext-dev-mode=1
Devices —> USB Inject, UseIntelHDMI
Graphics —> Inject Intel, ig-platform-id = 01660003
Kernel & kext patches —>
Code:
<dict>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>HD4000 HDMI Audio</string>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>
    BQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAHBAAAAwQAAAAEAACBAAAA
    </data>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>AppleIntelFramebufferCapri</string>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>
    BQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAIAAAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    </data>
</dict>
<dict>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>AppleHDA</string>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>Expect 4 matches</string>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>hBnUEQ==</data>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>aQLsEA==</data>
</dict>
<dict>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>AppleHDA</string>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>Expect 4 matches</string>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>hAjsEA==</data>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>AAAAAA==</data>
</dict>
<dict>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>Trim Enabler</string>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>
    AEFQUExFIFNTRAA=
    </data>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=
    </data>
</dict>
SMBIOS —> MacbookAir5,2

Now go to EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/10.10 and install FakeSMC.kext, and VoodooPS2.kext.

Add a folder to your USB and put a copy of Clover Configurator, Clover installer, Kext Wizard and all the patched kexts, DSDT, SSDT, …

That should do the trick!

B. INSTALLATION

When booting the laptop, press F12 and choose your USB device. When you installed Clover in the ESP, choose the EFI device.

In the Clover menu, press F4 to save an unpatched DSDT in /EFI/CLOVER/acpi/

Hit “install OS X” with enter.

The installation takes about 15 minutes.

You may need a USB keyboard/Mouse temporarily.

C. POST INSTALL

Reboot with the USB into Clover and select to boot from the HDD this time.

Copy your extra folder from the USB to the desktop.

Install Clover —> Customize —> Bootloader = Install boot0ss in MBR.

With Clover Configurator, mount the EFI partition on your USB and copy the config.plist to the EFI partition on your HDD.

Open Kext Wizard and install these kexts:
Battery % [Patched ACPIBatteryManager.kext by Rehabman]
Brightness [Patched ACPIBacklight.kext by Rehabman]
Audio [based on patched AppleHDA.kext by Kidman, AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext],
Touchpad [VoodooPS2Controller.kext by Rehabman]

Repair permissions, rebuild kextcache.

D. DSDT patching

Starting off with a clean DSDT, use MaciASL and appy the following patches using Rehabman's patch REPO.

Rehabman patch repo:

http://raw.github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/master

- HD4000 Low res. (GraphicsEnabler=No)
- IRQ Fix
- HPET Fix
- 7-series USB
- 7 series USB3 Multiplex ( comment out last line —> // and uncomment the alternative line underneath instead)
- 6 series USB
- SMBUS Fix
- RTC Fix
- AC Adapter Fix (with/without)
- OS Check Fix
- Brightness Fix HD4000
- Audio Layout ID 12 ( changed the 12 to 69)
- Fix _Wak arg0v2 ( seems to fix problem where it reboots after waking from sleep)

E. SPEEDSTEP/POWER MANAGEMENT

You will NEED to generate your own SSDT for your particular CPU

Use the SSDTPrGen script found here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/86906-ssdt-generation-script-ivybridge-pm.html

Copy your patched DSDT and SSDT to the /EFI/CLOVER/acpi/patched

F. SOUND/HDMI AUDIO

This laptop uses the ALC269 Codec.

The patch involves fixing the DSDT and patching AppleHDA.kext AND AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext

AppleHDA.kext and AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext are both patched by Clover. However, AppleHDA won't work unless we add a DummyHDA.kext which contains the information that OSX needs to enable sound on this motherboard.

This method is described here (post 28). The ingredients for a working DummyHDA.kext can be found in the Kidman's patched AppleHDA.kext (post 109).

Download the patched AppleHDA and DummyHDA.

From the patched AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/, copy Layout69.xml.zlib and Platforms.xml.zlib to DummyHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/

From the patched AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/, open the Info.plist in TextEdit. Copy and replace this part to the Info.plist in DummyHDA.kext/Contents/ under
Code:
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>    
<dict>
        <key>HDA Hardware Config Resource</key>
        <dict>
            <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
            <string>com.apple.driver.AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver</string>
            <key>HDAConfigDefault</key>
<array>
:
Code:
<dict>
    <key>Codec</key>
    <string>Realtek ALC269 for Acer S3-391</string>
    <key>CodecID</key>
    <integer>283902569</integer>
    <key>ConfigData</key>
    <data>
    ASccIAEnHQEBJx6gAScfkAFHHBABRx0BAUce
    EwFHH5kBdxzwAXcdAAF3HgABdx9AAYcc8AGH
    HQABhx4AAYcfQAGXHPABlx0AAZceAAGXH0AB
    pxzwAacdAAGnHgABpx9AAbcc8AG3HQABtx4A
    AbcfQAHXHPAB1x0AAdceAAHXH0AB5xzwAecd
    AAHnHgAB5x9AAhccMAIXHUACFx4hAhcfAQ==
    </data>
    <key>FuncGroup</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>LayoutID</key>
    <integer>69</integer>
</dict>

Last edited:
[Guide] Acer S3-391 Ivy Bridge

Please read the Rules.

Animated avatars are not allowed

Thanks in anticipation

I don't think you need the 7-series usb patch with the generic USB kext. Choose one: either try and get USB3 working with DSDT patches, in which case you'll probably need RehabMan's Multiplex patch too, or just use the generic kext.

What type of trackpad do you have? (Elan, Synaptics, etc.)

Is the version of AppleHDA you're using from Mountain Lion? You may find something newer with the kexts found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298663-applehda-for-yosemite/

I notice that you're using RehabMan's battery kext without the accompanying necessary DSDT patch. More info can be found here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...de-how-patch-dsdt-working-battery-status.html

I don't think you need the AppleRTC fix with Yosemite; at the very least, I didn't need it on my Acer with a 7-series board. The KernelPM Clover option is for Haswell CPUs, if I remember correctly, so that isn't needed either.
F. SOUND/HDMI AUDIO

This laptop uses the ALC269 Codec.

The patch involves fixing the DSDT and patching AppleHDA.kext AND AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext

Patched AppleHDA from Kidman, found here.

AppleIntelFramebufferCapri patch (thanks dominic714342 ) :

Copy your AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext from S/L/E to the desktop —> right click “show package contents” —> Contents -->MacOS folder —> inside is a binary. Copy it to the desktop, download Hex Fiend, open the binary and find:
Code:
 05030000 02000000 30000000 02050000 00040000 07040000 03040000 00040000 81000000

and replace with

Code:
05030000 02000000 30000000 02050000 00080000 06000000 00000000 00000000 00000000

Why not use a Clover kext patch instead of bin patching AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri directly?

Code:
             <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                </data>
            </dict>

I converted your find and replace hex values to base64.

I don't think you need the 7-series usb patch with the generic USB kext. Choose one: either try and get USB3 working with DSDT patches, in which case you'll probably need RehabMan's Multiplex patch too, or just use the generic kext.

What type of trackpad do you have? (Elan, Synaptics, etc.)

Is the version of AppleHDA you're using from Mountain Lion? You may find something newer with the kexts found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298663-applehda-for-yosemite/

I notice that you're using RehabMan's backlight kext without the accompanying necessary DSDT patch. More info can be found here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...de-how-patch-dsdt-working-battery-status.html

I don't think you need the AppleRTC fix with Yosemite; at the very least, I didn't need it on my Acer with a 7-series board. The KernelPM Clover option is for Haswell CPUs, if I remember correctly, so that isn't needed either.

Why not use a Clover kext patch instead of bin patching AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri directly?

Code:
             <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                </data>
            </dict>

Thank you for your help! I don't have time to try it all out this weekend, but I will let you know how what you propose reflects on my machine.

Anyway, as you mentioned, I did use the DSDT patch for the backlight, I will have to add that to my guide.

And my trackpad is a synaptics one, so that's why I chose the voodoops2 kext from rehabman.

Grtz
Metalcored00d

Anyway, as you mentioned, I did use the DSDT patch for the backlight, I will have to add that to my guide.

I meant battery kext, not backlight, sorry. As RehabMan explains in the linked thread, OSX doesn't like registers larger than 8bit in EmbeddedControl. I didn't see a mention of this DSDT patch in your guide.

I meant battery kext, not backlight, sorry. As RehabMan explains in the linked thread, OSX doesn't like registers larger than 8bit in EmbeddedControl. I didn't see a mention of this DSDT patch in your guide.

It is rare, but not all DSDTs have EC fields larger than 8-bit.

It is rare, but not all DSDTs have EC fields larger than 8-bit.

interesting, I was not aware of that. As always, your breadth of knowledge is humbling. :)

I started from scratch with a new DSDT and can confirm that it does indeed work with the multiplex patch. I deleted the GenericUSBXHCI.kext.

It is indeed an older kext, but I will try to implement the kext patching in Clover (once I figure that out)

I notice that you're using RehabMan's battery kext without the accompanying necessary DSDT patch. More info can be found here:

True, I haven't added anything and this works without problem.

True again, I removed both of these from my config.plist and all works well!

Code:
             <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                </data>
            </dict>

Thank you so much for your help here! I never tried to patch a kext on the go with clover before! Will definitely have to look more into this matter! For now I applied the patch, but I still have to replace the kext with the original one.

Note: Moved to guides subforum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back