Contribute
Register

[Guide] Acer Aspire V5-171-6675 using Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated the OP.

Included instructions for functional Hibernation, and included instructions for enabling USB using stock Apple kexts.

With that, all hardware and software is working as it should. This install is golden.

Nice job Shinzon. Not touched my V5-171 for a while, hence the thread languished. But will try yours soon.

Meth

Nice job Shinzon. Not touched my V5-171 for a while, hence the thread languished. But will try yours soon.

Meth

Looking at your sig, you likely have the V5-171-6614 or -6689 model, not the -6675 model I have. You're actually in a better place than I am because your laptop is not a mixed configuration. If it is still using the HM77 board (likely it does), then the vast majority of my guide should still apply minus the graphics section. The DSDT patches may need to be tweaked, and the HDMI audio clover patch will likely be different, but there is a good chance the AppleHDA section will work to get the internal speakers, mic, etc functioning properly. SMBios MacBookPro9,2 is what you'd likely want to use, instead of 8,1.

I'd love to get a copy of your untouched DSDT and an IOREG for your system so I can tweak this guide to apply to all V5-171s.

If you need any help, feel free to ask.

I applied the 10.10.2 > 10.10.3 update from the App Store--it installed without issue and all hardware remains fully functional. Just like a real Mac.

edit:

In addition, today I went through the process of upgrading my machine from System BIOS version 2.10 to version 2.21. It was listed on Acer's support site alongside the v1.09 BIOS and listed as "Not For Upgrades." Since I was already on a 2.x series bios, and since the V5-171 has a BIOS recovery feature to prevent bricking, I took the plunge and installed the bios update with the .exe installer in Windows8.1. The install completed without error, and the machine booted immediately afterwards (though bios settings were reset to defaults). Running this bios with the edited DSDT from 2.10 is not a problem. Given this success, I think it's safe to assume the warning on Acer's website, "Not for Upgrades," means upgrades from the 1.x series to the 2.x series.

I extracted the new DSDT file and there are more than trival changes, but nothing major. Most of it seems centered around adding support for Windows8.1 (2013)--adding a bunch of conditionals using the new OSYS value. There is also a new USB3 variable, and a new CHAR, Package (0x10) under scope ec0. There are changes to the brightness step values for 0x07dc.

The new DSDT compiles with the same error, warnings, and optimizations as the old version. My fixes patch, my optimize patch, my apple-like patch, and all of RehabMan's patches discussed in the OP apply without issue, and function as expected.

I did, however, modify his Windows2012 patch to apply to Windows2013 thusly:

Code:
#Maintained by: RehabMan for: Laptop Patches
#system_OSYS_win8.txt

# Cause the DSDT to simulate "Windows 2012" when running under "Darwin" (OS X).
#
# This can fix various DSDT related problems for code within the DSDT
# that is conditional on the operating system version.
#
# Sometimes "Windows 2013" is a better choice than "Windows 2012" or "Windows 2006"

into_all method code_regex If\s+\([\\]?_OSI\s+\(\"Windows\s2013\"\)\) replace_matched begin If(LOr(_OSI("Darwin"),_OSI("Windows 2013"))) end;

to take advantage of the new conditionals.

Updated the OP to address some bugs I found in the native USB3 implementation.

As was with the 10.10.3 update, I updated to 10.10.4 via the App Store without a problem. All hardware continues to function without issue or modification. I love Clover.

As of 10.10.4, the Clover trim enabler kext patch is deprecated; Apple has added trim support for 3rd party SSDs. One need only run this command in Terminal:

Code:
$ sudo trimforce enable

method for apple backlight on macOS Sierra 10.12.6
hd3000 graphic card work with applebacklightinjector.kext

Looking at your sig, you likely have the V5-171-6614 or -6689 model, not the -6675 model I have. You're actually in a better place than I am because your laptop is not a mixed configuration. If it is still using the HM77 board (likely it does), then the vast majority of my guide should still apply minus the graphics section. The DSDT patches may need to be tweaked, and the HDMI audio clover patch will likely be different, but there is a good chance the AppleHDA section will work to get the internal speakers, mic, etc functioning properly. SMBios MacBookPro9,2 is what you'd likely want to use, instead of 8,1.

I'd love to get a copy of your untouched DSDT and an IOREG for your system so I can tweak this guide to apply to all V5-171s.

If you need any help, feel free to ask.

Never got round to it but dug out the laptop today and was thinking to dual boot it... So....

1) How to heck do I found out my exact model? V5-171-33216G50xxxxx or model Q1V2C ??
2) I can get you DSDT from Linux can't I? IOreg?

Would love to see if your guide covers multiple versions of OSX too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back