Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So i acquired a lovely shaped mac g5 Quad with certain overheating problems.
I disassembled to clean of dust and in the meantime i noticed that this thing have a 1kw psu!!!
So after cleaning inside, i took notice of the labels on the pcb of the psu, and digging a little bit on internet was able to find more info about pinouts.
Here is a schematic i made for it.
Just one afternoon of trials and the damm thing ended up working perfectly as ATX!
The damn thing waked up!!

All you need is:
1- A non working standard ATX power supply, to cut wires and molex plug.
2- A Known good shape ACBEL PSU. Mine is labeled AcBel API4FS13

A non provided voltage is -12 (Blue wire on ATX) but for what i have read this is not needed unles you use Serial port. Just cut it from ATX plug

ATX1.jpg
ATX3.jpg
ATX2.jpg

Last edited:
Than you very much for that.
I have tried to power on this power supply (i have the exact same model)
but he don't work when i put the power on pin to gnd.

When I do that I hear a relay inside that turns on and off immediately (two noises)
Can youhelp me, ore give me a good website ?

Thank you

I have one of these PSUs and I need to test it.... how can I most easily do that?

So i acquired a lovely shaped mac g5 Quad with certain overheating problems.
I disassembled to clean of dust and in the meantime i noticed that this thing have a 1kw psu!!!
So after cleaning inside, i took notice of the labels on the pcb of the psu, and digging a little bit on internet was able to find more info about pinouts.
Here is a schematic i made for it.
Just one afternoon of trials and the damm thing ended up working perfectly as ATX!
The damn thing waked up!!

All you need is:
1- A non working standard ATX power supply, to cut wires and molex plug.
2- A Known good shape ACBEL PSU. Mine is labeled AcBel API4FS13

A non provided voltage is -12 (Blue wire on ATX) but for what i have read this is not needed unles you use Serial port. Just cut it from ATX plug

I have one of these PSUs and I need to test it.... how can I most easily do that?
Take a look at the pictures above: By joining pins PowerOn (Green) and Ground, the psu should turn on (Fans should run).

Take a look at the pictures above: By joining pins PowerOn (Green) and Ground, the psu should turn on (Fans should run).
Thanks a ton, and sorry for all the questions but I'm very new to this.... I see the PowerOn (Green), but I can't tell by your photo which pin is Ground, so can you tell me which one is that? If PowerOn (Green) is pin 1, which one is Ground, assuming they are numbered starting bottom row, L-R 1-3, top row L-R 4-6? Also, which gauge wire do I need to create this jumper, is 16 gauge small enough?

And if possible, can you please give me the full pinouts of both of the connectors, the 6-pin one and the 10-pin one, along with which voltages I should see on each one on my multimeter? Thanks so much man, I've looked very hard for this info, to no avail before now, so I appreciate you a lot!

Last edited:
And if possible, can you please give me the full pinouts of both of the connectors, the 6-pin one and the 10-pin one, along with which voltages I should see on each one on my multimeter?
Maybe you should take it to a service store.

Last edited:
There is not a chance that i waste my time like that dude, whats wrong with you? Maybe you should take it to a service store and period.
I really only needed to know which pin was ground..as for the rest, that's why I said "And if possible"... and I only asked that because you mentioned that you had found the pinouts in your OP... not sure what I did do upset you so much, I was polite. I don't take it to a tech because of service charges and the lack of good techs in my small town... they already destroyed one of these Macs about 4 years ago, and it turned out to only be a defective airport card in it, which led to the same symptoms, not booting at all, which I had to discover on my own by buying another exact copy of the computer and installing the same airport card in it. SO, that fact, and the fact that my business has gone down to half under still existing COVID restrictions for most people here, means I have to do things on my own... not that any of this should be relevant to me asking you a simple question on a public forum that is meant, if for nothing else, than for people to help each other with exactly this type of issue. But, I guess the pinouts you found are a government secret.

All I really NEEDED to know, was which pin was ground.... that's all. I'm sorry that was too much of an ask for you.

P.S. - copied & pasted from the tonymacx86.com General Rules: "This forum was created to provide help by posting questions and getting answers."

Last edited:
I really only needed to know which pin was ground..as for the rest, that's why I said "And if possible"... and I only asked that because you mentioned that you had found the pinouts in your OP... not sure what I did do upset you so much, I was polite. I don't take it to a tech because of service charges and the lack of good techs in my small town... they already destroyed one of these Macs about 4 years ago, and it turned out to only be a defective airport card in it, which led to the same symptoms, not booting at all, which I had to discover on my own by buying another exact copy of the computer and installing the same airport card in it. SO, that fact, and the fact that my business has gone down to half under still existing COVID restrictions for most people here, means I have to do things on my own... not that any of this should be relevant to me asking you a simple question on a public forum that is meant, if for nothing else, than for people to help each other with exactly this type of issue. But, I guess the pinouts you found are a government secret.

All I really NEEDED to know, was which pin was ground.... that's all. I'm sorry that was too much of an ask for you.

P.S. - copied & pasted from the tonymacx86.com General Rules: "This forum was created to provide help by posting questions and getting answers."
The first picture on this same post have Ground tabs marked clear. Despite you explanations, i remark the suggestion about taking to a known It Support store: Ground it is, on any electronic device, the most easy to find pin for an experienced tech guy with an multimeter on hand. If you dont have such begginer skill, may not be a good idea to scramble on a dangerous thing like a PSU. You may destroy-ruin the thing, or kill your self.

give me the full pinouts of both of the connectors, the 6-pin one and the 10-pin one, along with which voltages I should see on each one on my multimeter?
You are requesting that i invest HOURS, skills and equipment, for free, to give you facts no one else in 15 years have done. But sorry if it touch your feellings, i fixed the phrase for something more "Friendly"...

Last edited:
You are requesting that i invest HOURS, skills and equipment, for free, to give you facts no one else in 15 years have done. But sorry if it touch your feellings, i fixed the phrase for something more "Friendly"...
I'm sorry you feel that way, I respectfully disagree... Everything I asked you for should have been included with the pinouts that you said you had found. It should have taken mere moments of your time and cost you nothing to post those pinouts. Never mind, I received the help I needed from someone who took a few moments to post the relevant pinouts to my query on facebook. Sorry to have bothered you, all the best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back