Contribute
Register

[GUIDE 4530s] Lion --> Mountain Lion Upgrade Method - WiFi, Bluetooth, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP ProBook 4530s
CPU
i3 2330M
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
****** FIRST AND FOREMOST THANK YOU BOOYA*******

My system specs:

Probook 4530s
Standard screen
i3 2330m
8gb RAM
Intel HD 3000
Bios Version F20

Software I used:

ProBook Installer v4
UniBoot 1.5.1 ML
The Kexts attatched to this guide

What you need to already have for this to work:

A fully functional Lion install. This means your WiFi, BT, gestures, keyboard, etc need to be working in Lion. Think of this as the "foundation" for the install. Weak foundation = problems down the road, so make sure its right before you proceed.

NOTE: The process Im describing in this thread did NOT remove any of my apps or user data (files in /User/Documents, Downloads, etc). Your results may vary. All I am saying is that Ive run through this twice and it did not seem to harm my data or files or apps in any way. Sophisticated apps may need reinstallation. Again, your results may vary. A backup is sometimes literally worth its weight in gold.
Procedure:

1. Once again, verify you have a fully working Lion install. Check WiFi and BT especially. Make sure gestures work (scrolling, flipping thru Launch Pad).

2. Using your LEGIT PURCHASED App Store Mountain Lion installer and UniBoot 1.5.1, proceed to create your bootable installation media.

3. Boot into the setup (on my system i did not need ANY flags to get into setup) and complete the installation right over top of your existing Lion install. (In other words, don't use Disk Utility to change anything, just choose your existing disk where Lion is already installed.

4. When setup completes, reboot. Leave your USB drive connected. When the UniBoot loader appears on screen, Now choose your Mountain Lion disk instead of the Installer (or USB or whatever you named it). It is a good idea to use a -v boot flag, just so that incase it does hang, you can see where its occurring.

5. Most likely, your machine will hang. If it does, reboot again, and now boot with a -x boot flag. This SHOULD get you to desktop.

6. Run ProBook installer 4 and choose the following:
- OSX version 10.7.4
- Ethernet
- Bluetooth
- DSDT and SSDT for the bios and cpu for your HP
- System definition 8,2
-Install the entire Extra Tools (or Tools) package.
Complete the pro book v4 installer BUT DONT REBOOT!

- DO NOT REBOOT.

7. Run Chimera 1.11.0
8. Use kext wizard to install the two kexts within the zip attached to this post.
9. Double click the script to patch your ahci bus with a 200ms delay (to prevent card reader from hanging up[see:waiting for root device])
10. Use kext wizard to fix disk permission and rebuild cache
11. Done. Reboot. No flag needed and everything work as with Lion.
Best of luck!

UPDATE 1: Just tested, HDMI output to TV including Audio are working just fine for me.
UPDATE 2: two finger gestures [scrolling left and right in launch pad and two finger scrolling] all working.

Attachments

• ML 4530s Kexts+ahci patch[BOOYA].zip
    181.3 KB · Views: 988
Ok kids gather around.

My system specs:

Probook 4530s
Standard screen
i3 2330m
8gb RAM
Intel HD 3000
Bios Version F20

Software I used:

ProBook Installer v4
UniBoot 1.5.1 ML
The Kext attatched to this guide

A fully functional Lion install. This means your WiFi, BT, gestures, keyboard, etc need to be working in Lion. Think of this as the "foundation" for the install. Weak foundation = problems down the road, so make sure its right before you proceed.

Procedure:

1. Once again, verify you have a fully working Lion install. Check WiFi and BT especially. Make sure gestures work (scrolling, flipping thru Launch Pad).

2. Using your LEGIT PURCHASED App Store Mountain Lion installer and UniBoot 1.5.1, proceed to create your bootable installation media.

3. Boot into the setup (on my system i did not need ANY flags to get into setup) and complete the installation right over top of your existing Lion install. (In other words, don't use Disk Utility to change anything, just choose your existing disk where Lion is already installed.

4. When setup completes, reboot. Leave your USB drive connected. When the UniBoot loader appears on screen, Now choose your Mountain Lion disk instead of the Installer (or USB or whatever you named it). It is a good idea to use a -v boot flag, just so that incase it does hang, you can see where its occurring.

5. Most likely, your machine will hang. If it does, reboot again, and now boot with a -x boot flag. This SHOULD get you to desktop.

6. If you're at desktop, now you want to run ProBook Installer v4.
Choose the following options in Probook installer v4:
OSX Version -- 10.7.4
Chimera 1.10.0
****DO NOT CHOOSE/CHECK EITHER OF THE ETHERNET OR BLUETOOTH CHOICES****
CPU SSDTs -- i3 2330m (choose which you have, but you should have the same i3 I do.)
Graphic Glitch Fix -- Check this, you will want this.
DSDT for Standard Screens -- Choose the 4530s Bios ver F20 (this is what my machine is, you choose accordingly)
System Definitions -- I chose Mac Book Pro 8,2
Extra Tools -- Do yourself a favor and install these, they're useful!

7. Run the installer with the choices you chose above. DO NOT REBOOT.

8. Upon completion, use the attached Kext + Kext Wizard (which is on your Desktop in that nifty Tools folder) and install this Kext that is attached to this post.

9. Run a repair permissions + rebuild cache if you'd like under the Maintenance section.

10. Open up your /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist with TextEdit

11. You'll see a section that indicates Kernel Flags, such as seen below.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

12. Modify that section so it looks like this one below:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-f -v</string>

NOTE: Yes i KNOW this flag isn't supposed to be applicable anymore but it does indeed work. I know the "same thing" is Setting Kernel Cache = no, but this method worked and its what I'll recommend. Experiment at your own risk/leisure.

13. Close TextEdit and REOPEN the .plist you just modified, just to double check the modifications stuck.

14. Hope for the best and reboot.

This works for me including WiFi, Bluetooth, Audio, gestures on touch pad, no graphics glitches, full QE/CI, and working USBs.

NOTE: Do NOT use the "Blue" usb 3.0 port... it really upsets my pro book.

Best of luck!

Is it really an upgrade? My apps and files would be still there after doing this process?

Is it really an upgrade? My apps and files would be still there after doing this process?

I wondered this same thing, so i installed two free apps from App Store, and also put some photos and random text files in my Downloads and Documents folders... upon completion of the "overlay install" everything was still there. INCLUDING my special key mappings and bookmarks in Safari

sounds great.....I will give it a try tomorrow!

Ok kids gather around.

My system specs:

Probook 4530s
Standard screen
i3 2330m
8gb RAM
Intel HD 3000
Bios Version F20

Software I used:

ProBook Installer v4
UniBoot 1.5.1 ML
The Kext attatched to this guide

Procedure:

6. If you're at desktop, now you want to run ProBook Installer v4.
Choose the following options in Probook installer v4:
OSX Version -- 10.7.4
Chimera 1.10.0
****DO NOT CHOOSE/CHECK EITHER OF THE ETHERNET OR BLUETOOTH CHOICES****
CPU SSDTs -- i3 2330m (choose which you have, but you should have the same i3 I do.)
Graphic Glitch Fix -- Check this, you will want this.
DSDT for Standard Screens -- Choose the 4530s Bios ver F20 (this is what my machine is, you choose accordingly)
System Definitions -- I chose Mac Book Pro 8,2
Extra Tools -- Do yourself a favor and install these, they're useful!

7. Run the installer with the choices you chose above. DO NOT REBOOT.

8. Upon completion, use the attached Kext + Kext Wizard (which is on your Desktop in that nifty Tools folder) and install this Kext that is attached to this post.

9. Run a repair permissions + rebuild cache if you'd like under the Maintenance section.

10. Open up your /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist with TextEdit

11. You'll see a section that indicates Kernel Flags, such as seen below.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

12. Modify that section so it looks like this one below:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-f -v</string>

NOTE: Yes i KNOW this flag isn't supposed to be applicable anymore but it does indeed work. I know the "same thing" is Setting Kernel Cache = no, but this method worked and its what I'll recommend. Experiment at your own risk/leisure.

13. Close TextEdit and REOPEN the .plist you just modified, just to double check the modifications stuck.

14. Hope for the best and reboot.

This works for me including WiFi, Bluetooth, Audio, gestures on touch pad, no graphics glitches, full QE/CI, and working USBs.

NOTE: Do NOT use the "Blue" usb 3.0 port... it really upsets my pro book.

Best of luck!

Sorry to hijack your thread here but booting in -f mode will make your trackpad work but your sd carder will not and not to mention the graphic glitches is so bad it leave your screen unless. The graphic fix will not work. And -v flag, who would want to see texts scrolling up the screen for 5 minutes.
Since you use the probook installer that replaces ML AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext, You will need this along with the patch AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Give this a go, no boot flag needed.

Get the kexts from this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/61504-hp-probook-4530s-mountain-lion-process.html .

1. Get the patch patch-ahci that aschewe posted on page 1 post #3. This will be needed to get SD card reader working without hanging on waiting for root device.
2. Get the two kexts that Gerard71 posted on page 3 post #24.
3. Chimera 1.11.0

post install.
1. Run ProBook installer 4 and choose the following:
- OSX version 10.7.4
- Ethernet
- Bluetooth
- System definition 8,2
- Any tool you want. Kext wizard recommended to install kexts and rebuild cache
- DO NOT REBOOT.
3. Run Chimera 1.11.0
4. Use kext wizard to install the two kexts Gerard71 posted.
5. Double click the patch-achi that aschewe posted.
6. Use kext wizard to fix disk permission and rebuild cache
7. Done. Reboot. No flag needed and everything work as with Lion.

Sorry to hijack your thread here but booting in -f mode will make your trackpad work but your sd carder will not and not to mention the graphic glitches is so bad it leave your screen unless. The graphic fix will not work. And -v flag, who would want to see texts scrolling up the screen for 5 minutes.
Since you use the probook installer that replaces ML AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext, You will need this along with the patch AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Get the kexts from this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/61504-hp-probook-4530s-mountain-lion-process.html .

1. Get the patch patch-ahci that aschewe posted on page 1 post #3. This will be needed to get SD card reader working without hanging on waiting for root device.
3. Chimera 1.11.0

post install.
- OSX version 10.7.4
- Ethernet
- Bluetooth
- System definition 8,2
- DO NOT REBOOT.
3. Run Chimera 1.11.0

You Rule man!! If you private message me the "tweaks" need for my guide I'll implement them in the original post and give you credit as credit is due! thanks man!!

Just saying thanks =]

3. Chimera 1.11.0

post install.
- OSX version 10.7.4
- Ethernet
- Bluetooth
- System definition 8,2
- DO NOT REBOOT.
3. Run Chimera 1.11.0

Thank you guys sooooooo freaking much!!! I tried upgrading to mountain lion yesterday and i didn't have working trackpad or keyboard. I used your installation process and EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY!

Cant wait to upgrade. First I gotta upgrade from 10.7.3 to 4, then I'll upgrade to ML. Just gotta order ML from Apple and should be set.

I dont use bluetooth though, and I only get 2 finger scrolling on the trackpad. No other gestures. Lions been working great for a long time now so I feel pretty confident in upgrading to ML. But should I really get BT/Gestures working before hand? I wasnt aware you could get any more gestures working with this trackpad.

"Make sure gestures work (scrolling, flipping thru Launch Pad)."

Wow, how did you get gestures working on Probook 4530? I have got only two-fingers scrolling... Could you tell me (and anybody else ;d)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back