Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] 4530s Display Upgrade to 1080p (Update: 2012-06-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
update on my washed out screen and red ghosting issue
i received a replacement panel from laptop screen.com today. i changed the screens and i see an immediate improvement
the ghosting and over saturation seems to have gone (although the reds and the greens still seem a bit bright)...so it seems that i did have a faulty panel
the people at laptop screen.com were EXTREMELY helpful and understanding

was it worth replacing the screen ultimately?

im still not sure...the only real downside for me is the broken hinge covers but i can live with that and at least i learned how to dismantle and reassemble a laptop and replace a screen

i'm not sure the screen is really as good as people have been making it out to be, but it is an improvement over the original HP screen

so...yes, it was worth it

Still preparing, parts are in. I changed my aml file but was not 100% sure about what I did. Saving the aml from installer to USB failed, no matter how I formatted (tried two macosx options unencrypted and exfat) USB the installer would not let me us it as an install location. I also tried dumping my DSDT in windows, worked but could not open in mac, got an error.

In the end I duplicated my existing DSDT.aml file and named the second one DSDT2.aml - confirmed I can boot with it. Then just ran installer and installed 1080p DSDT which will overwrite the original, Now I don't see desktop if I boot (which in this case is expected and can still boot by using parameters. Hopefully some time tonight for the hardware part.

Wow, I did it! So much thanks to anyone who contributed here! I've made some notes and pics to try and do something in return. Here are my observations:

1) Took me three hours, never opened a laptop before in my life but have always assembled my own pc's
2) The keyboard connector is a latch, not a plug! flip it, don't pull
3) Put all screws on an a4 of paper and make notes, there are many. Here my table when everything was open:
photo4.jpg

4) Hinges are doable. Thanks to tip here, use a very thin screwdriver. Picture here:
photo1.jpg

And another as this is the hard part, you see it is attached in the middle
photo2.jpg

everything open pic:
photo3.jpg

5) Don't worry about the screw covers on the screen. I was very easy on them but there are two new ones with the spare cable!
6)Said before but if you ordered cable 646274-001 you might receive 648977-001 which is just another number for the same part
7) when assembling and putting the hings on all cables go to the inside of the screen, hard to see in manual
8) I managed to pull off the white part that holds the power connector cable to the board (the actual latch). took me 30 minutes to click it back so please treat these latches carefully!
9) lastly. my new screen came with a plastic cover, good idea to put that on again once screen is installed and you still have like 20 screws to place.

Many thanks, much obliged!

Im trying to be careful in not hyjacking the thread. I had Lion working on my LJ521UT with the upgrade screen installed until oneday the operating system stopped booting properly. I had to reinstall everything but am having one little prob. When I install Lion or ML via my Unibeast USB stick I get the Apple logo and the rotating fan at the bottom of the screen but then after a while it goes blank or pitch black. I never reach the OSX installer screen. Could this be because I have the upgrade screen still in my LJ521UT and have to downgrade again so as to be able to reinstall Lion or ML? I have a funny feeling this is a stupid question since the two different video cables should be compatible for the OSX Installing screen I just dunno, could someone shed some light on this?

Im trying to be careful in not hyjacking the thread. I had Lion working on my LJ521UT with the upgrade screen installed until oneday the operating system stopped booting properly. I had to reinstall everything but am having one little prob. When I install Lion or ML via my Unibeast USB stick I get the Apple logo and the rotating fan at the bottom of the screen but then after a while it goes blank or pitch black. I never reach the OSX installer screen. Could this be because I have the upgrade screen still in my LJ521UT and have to downgrade again so as to be able to reinstall Lion or ML? I have a funny feeling this is a stupid question since the two different video cables should be compatible for the OSX Installing screen I just dunno, could someone shed some light on this?

Read the guide (see sticky threads at top of forum). Pay attention to step 4a and it will work.

Hey all, I'm interested in giving this a shot with the AUO v4. I have an LJ518UT which has been proven to work with an F0A BIOS, but mine is F20 (which of course has worked out on other models). I have two questions:

1) Is it safe to assume this will work considering it's worked on a separate model with the same BIOS and the same model with a different BIOS?
2) Do I NEED to order a new cable for my 4530s, or is that only for the 4730s? Will the cable already inside not work out with the new display?

THANK YOU! This is interesting work.

Hey all, I'm interested in giving this a shot with the AUO v4. I have an LJ518UT which has been proven to work with an F0A BIOS, but mine is F20 (which of course has worked out on other models). I have two questions:

1) Is it safe to assume this will work considering it's worked on a separate model with the same BIOS and the same model with a different BIOS?

I don't think BIOS matters. Maybe was an issue where people were using pre-built DSDT, but by now everyone should be using their own DSDT by patching it.

2) Do I NEED to order a new cable for my 4530s, or is that only for the 4730s? Will the cable already inside not work out with the new display?

THANK YOU! This is interesting work.

You will need a cable since the screen requires dual-link.

Thank you for tweakers abroad. This guide has a lot of info in here. I picked up a 4530 recently for 299$ so might be a change to tinker on it .

thanks team

I don't think BIOS matters. Maybe was an issue where people were using pre-built DSDT, but by now everyone should be using their own DSDT by patching it.

Thank you for the quick answers. There's nothing more to it than the DSDT patch described in the guide? I think last time I modified my DSDT (or it might have been the system update), I got the boot0 error as I have a 4k drive. I have my install media ready just in case, but will this mess up Chimera or need I not worry?

Thank you for the quick answers. There's nothing more to it than the DSDT patch described in the guide? I think last time I modified my DSDT (or it might have been the system update), I got the boot0 error as I have a 4k drive. I have my install media ready just in case, but will this mess up Chimera or need I not worry?

DSDT patching has nothing to do with Chimera or the boot0 error on AF/4k drives...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back