Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] 4530s Display Upgrade to 1080p (Update: 2012-06-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I purchased display cable 646273-001 and LCD LP156WF1-TLF3. I followed the directions in this post but the screen has a green tint to it at boot instead of dark black boot screen. Then after OSX boot up the login screen looks blotchy with a green tint and bad looking text. I tried reseating the cable but it didn't make a difference. The strange thing is when i plug the new screen in the display is perfect. No green tint or blotchyness. I have returned the screen and asked for a replacement figuring that it was a defective screen. I'm currently waiting for the replacement but they tell me the screen I returned worked just fine? Is there something Im missing? Do I need to have a specific BIOS version?

What hardware?

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

--

What do you mean by "when i plug the new screen in"? Do you mean you have already received the replacement and it works? If so, sounds like you're done.

My laptop is in pieces so it's hard to give full details but it's an hp 4530s with an i3 and hd3000 graphics card. I meant old screen. When I plug the old screen in with the new cable it works perfectly. I'm still waiting for the replacement screen. Its taking forever and they told me the screen work without issue. It worked for me to except it looked awful. Just wondering if the fact that I'm on bios F2 is causing issues. I haven't really read much on this thread about bios issues with the screen upgrade. Any ideas of a fix or something I missed

My laptop is in pieces so it's hard to give full details but it's an hp 4530s with an i3 and hd3000 graphics card. I meant old screen. When I plug the old screen in with the new cable it works perfectly. I'm still waiting for the replacement screen. Its taking forever and they told me the screen work without issue. It worked for me to except it looked awful. Just wondering if the fact that I'm on bios F2 is causing issues. I haven't really read much on this thread about bios issues with the screen upgrade. Any ideas of a fix or something I missed

Sounds like you may have a bad cable (bad second link, good primary link). Your old screen only uses one link. New 1080p screen uses both links.

It could also be a motherboard problem, but hopefully not...

I guess I'll try to find another cable. Most places have tell me the cable is on backorder. I still think the screen is bad and will order a new one if it doesn't work with a second cable. I don't see how my motherboard could be the problem. If the video card was bad then it wouldn't work at all or i would have other issues. Hopefully my lcd will be in soon.

I guess I'll try to find another cable. Most places have tell me the cable is on backorder. I still think the screen is bad and will order a new one if it doesn't work with a second cable. I don't see how my motherboard could be the problem. If the video card was bad then it wouldn't work at all or i would have other issues. Hopefully my lcd will be in soon.

Cable connects to the motherboard. It is possible (although unlikely) that the second link connections are bad on the motherboard. Not related to video card, but rather second link on dual-link lead from cable.

I think this may be beyond the scope of this thread but anyway.
I installed a new 1080p screen part no : B156HW01 v4.0

Stupidly enough, I plugged the new display cable (part no.
646274-000) into the motherboard upside down (I know I should have taken the charger and battery out before doing this, I'm an idiot):problem:. It actually went in and fit HOWEVER upon plugging it in upside down, i saw smoke, yes ... SMOKE .. arise from underneath the metal panel that is underneath the top cover. So i couldn't see exactly where the smoke came from. So anyway, I plugged it in the right way afterwards and moved on.

Now, when I turn on the laptop WITH the new screen installed correctly and double checked connections, the laptop takes a very long time to boot. Upon pressing the power button and after several seconds, the cpu fan blasts at full speed for about 4 seconds before the display turns on and after that everything is normal.

The brightness (backlight) of the screen cannot be adjusted once in any OS. (the brightness bar will go up and down but no change). I think its permanently on full. Also there is terrible gradient banding problems, the colour blue seems fine but any other colour gradients look ghastly. There is also flickering that comes and goes.

If I go back to the original screen however there is no colour problems but the brightness issue remains.
I thought maybe there could be a problem with the new screen because of the colour problems, so I ordered a replacement, same model number, but still same colour issue. I also replaced the dual link cable so it cant be that either. So now I sit wondering what the hell did I burn on the motherboard?
any ideas?

So I just got a new screen from a different seller. The label on the box says it's the same LG model screen but the actual screen has some Chinese manufacturers name. I checked the specs on the screen and they are actually a little better then the LG screen. The problem is that the screen gives me zero image. The backlight turns on but no Iimage. I'm still waiting for a new cable to be delivered and that should fix it. I'm just wondering why the first screen gave me a crappy image with a green collor and this screen gives me no image :banghead:. Maybe a bad inverter? I'll hold off on rreturning the screen until I test it with a new cable. Any thoughts or suggestions people?

Hi, today i've upgrade the display of my Probook 4530s.

At first i want to say thanks for the great "How to"-Guide.

I've some information for people in Germany, who want to upgrade there display.

The AUO B156HW01 V4.0 i found at this shop (www.tdcomponents.com).

To get the new cable was a little bit tricky. At first, I was redirected to the Austrian HP PartsStore. But there I can't place an order from Germany.
After a several different attemps I found the German PartsStore. ( German HP PartsStore )

The cost for the display was ~ 115€ and for the cable ~ 27€.

I hope this infos will help someone.

P.s.: I#m an Windows User, so after the first reboot everthing worked fine.

is there a list on here somewhere of other alternatives for screen replacements?

any new recommendations since the guide was updated in 2012?

Ive ordered another Auo v4 for my 4530s. Now i was going to order the same Dual link LVDS cable what i got for my 4540s. Is it the same cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back