Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] 4530s Display Upgrade to 1080p (Update: 2012-06-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you test your screen/install on Windows or Linux? Did you patch DSDT correctly for your new screen?

I have windows 7 installed at the moment, I assume that the dsdt thing is for running osx only?
Or is the dsdt moderation required for all OS's?
I cant even get to BIOS. Just no display upon startup. However when plugging the old screen in with the new cable, works fine.

I have windows 7 installed at the moment, I assume that the dsdt thing is for running osx only?
Or is the dsdt moderation required for all OS's?
I cant even get to BIOS. Just no display upon startup. However when plugging the old screen in with the new cable, works fine.

Windows/BIOS/Linux will work with a 1080p without anything special.

Your problem is a hardware or installation problem...

One of:
- bad screen
- bad cable
- flawed installation

Windows/BIOS/Linux will work with a 1080p without anything special.

Your problem is a hardware or installation problem...

One of:
- bad screen
- bad cable
- flawed installation

Well lets see... The cable and installation must be fine because the old screen works fine when plugged in.
So it must be the screen.
Great, china f*cked me over again. :problem:

Well lets see... The cable and installation must be fine because the old screen works fine when plugged in.

No. The old screen uses a different cable than the new screen. Old screen is single link. New screen is dual link. Using the old screen with the new cable only uses one of the links in the cable. Cable could still be bad (second link bad, first link ok).

The only way to separate the issue, is to have two (dual link) cables or two (dual link) screens.

And don't rule out installation. You may have the cable improperly seated at either the motherboard end or the panel end.

You know that, right?

No. The old screen uses a different cable than the new screen. Old screen is single link. New screen is dual link. Using the old screen with the new cable only uses one of the links in the cable. Cable could still be bad (second link bad, first link ok).

The only way to separate the issue, is to have two (dual link) cables or two (dual link) screens.

And don't rule out installation. You may have the cable improperly seated at either the motherboard end or the panel end.

You know that, right?

Dam... well this is going to take some time to resolve. I've checked the installation of the cable so many times, there's no way it could be improperly installed. I'll send this screen back to china and and get a replacement. Once I do that I'll speak of the results.

Dam... well this is going to take some time to resolve. I've checked the installation of the cable so many times, there's no way it could be improperly installed. I'll send this screen back to china and and get a replacement. Once I do that I'll speak of the results.

I'd be tempted to order a new cable instead since the cable is cheaper and easier to ship.

Greetings all,

Just wanted to say thank you to the authors of the guide and end-users who have posted here, as I just successfully upgraded my 4530s to a 2630QM and Full HD matte display. Your experiences and tips made this a very quick and painless process, but now I'm going to have to get a full-on SSD for my OS X install :D (it's currently on a Seagate SSHD)

One thing that I've found particularly helpful: I took the mounting bracket off the optical drive so I easily pull it out and replace it with an HD in an optical bay caddy. Basically, I have a 256SSD mounted in the HD bay, then I swap out multiple optical bay caddies for my OS X drive, Linux drive, and Ableton sample/project drive. I set BIOS to boot to the expansion bay first, so when I plug in the OS X or Linux drives, it'll boot right to those operating systems, but with the Blu ray drive or Ableton sample drive installed, it will auto-boot Windows (which I only use for DAW purposes).

Thanks again, cheers all!

So I purchased display cable 646273-001 and LCD LP156WF1-TLF3. I followed the directions in this post but the screen has a green tint to it at boot instead of dark black boot screen. Then after OSX boot up the login screen looks blotchy with a green tint and bad looking text. I tried reseating the cable but it didn't make a difference. The strange thing is when i plug the new screen in the display is perfect. No green tint or blotchyness. I have returned the screen and asked for a replacement figuring that it was a defective screen. I'm currently waiting for the replacement but they tell me the screen I returned worked just fine? Is there something Im missing? Do I need to have a specific BIOS version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back