Contribute
Register

[Guide] 2015 X1 Carbon Yosemite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bios unlock can help me?

It doesn't really seem WiFi whitelist related... but instead some other BIOS problem.
But that's just a guess.

It doesn't really seem WiFi whitelist related... but instead some other BIOS problem.
But that's just a guess.

Everything I found about the problem was yours. Your idea is that something is wrong "code" in the bios.

I was looking for a bios forum, I found this bios with whitelist that makes me doubt if there is an active whitelist ...

" X1 carbon gen3 2015 1.06 N14ET28W whitelist+unlock menu source Leokim" link source https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Guide-Whitelist-remove-for-2014-Lenovo-thinkpad

My other idea is to comment on the support of lenovo but I think they ignore me ...

@RehabMan I was looking at the DW1830 BCM943602BAED, it is likely that I continue having the problem there?

@RehabMan I was looking at the DW1830 BCM943602BAED, it is likely that I continue having the problem there?

It is not possible to predict the future.
Best way to find out is to purchase one and install it.

It is not possible to predict the future.
Best way to find out is to purchase one and install it.
Yes...I will try. One question bcm94350zae works fine??, Lenovo have one for thinkpads number fru00jt494

Yes...I will try. One question bcm94350zae works fine??, Lenovo have one for thinkpads number fru00jt494

BCM94350ZAE has shown to have certain problems on certain laptops.
YMMV.

Hey everyone... long time no talk. Umm, I've been using this setup for a few years now. This isn't my daily os, there are some weeks where I don't boot into OSX at all. That being said, it was always a goal to get this closer to a perfect setup.

As a quick recap: This laptop was shipped with an Intel AC7265 network card which has no chance of working with OSX. I got an external usb dongle and that allowed me to have wireless internet but I hated sacrificing a usb port for terrible and non-native internet. I bought a Dell DW1560 and installed it in my laptop (BCM94352Z) and that card worked on OSX but not on Windows or Linux no matter what I tried. The card was recognized but no networks would ever appear. (I even found the wifi disable pins and taped them!) I also tried the Lenovo version of the BCM94352Z (Lenovo P/N: 20-200480) and it demonstrated the same behavior.

I gave up on getting those cards to work, but a new found motivation hit me recently to try again. I ordered a Dell DW1830. The 1830 is a lot bigger than the 7265 and the DW1560. The NVME drive must be removed before installing the 1830 and it's a very tight squeeze. I'm happy to report that for the past couple of hours, I have had wifi on both Windows and OSX with the Dell DW1830! Linux is not working yet, it freezes when connecting to networks. I've had to disable and re-enable the network adapter in Windows upon reboot a couple of times.

There are a few quirks that I will find workarounds for but the 1830 is definitely a step in the right direction for this laptop.

I am going to continue messing around over the next few days and will likely attempt a High Sierra install, if/when I get to that point I will write a new guide for everyone!

Best,
JC

Hey everyone... long time no talk. Umm, I've been using this setup for a few years now. This isn't my daily os, there are some weeks where I don't boot into OSX at all. That being said, it was always a goal to get this closer to a perfect setup.

As a quick recap: This laptop was shipped with an Intel AC7265 network card which has no chance of working with OSX. I got an external usb dongle and that allowed me to have wireless internet but I hated sacrificing a usb port for terrible and non-native internet. I bought a Dell DW1560 and installed it in my laptop (BCM94352Z) and that card worked on OSX but not on Windows or Linux no matter what I tried. The card was recognized but no networks would ever appear. (I even found the wifi disable pins and taped them!) I also tried the Lenovo version of the BCM94352Z (Lenovo P/N: 20-200480) and it demonstrated the same behavior.

I gave up on getting those cards to work, but a new found motivation hit me recently to try again. I ordered a Dell DW1830. The 1830 is a lot bigger than the 7265 and the DW1560. The NVME drive must be removed before installing the 1830 and it's a very tight squeeze. I'm happy to report that for the past couple of hours, I have had wifi on both Windows and OSX with the Dell DW1830! Linux is not working yet, it freezes when connecting to networks. I've had to disable and re-enable the network adapter in Windows upon reboot a couple of times.

There are a few quirks that I will find workarounds for but the 1830 is definitely a step in the right direction for this laptop.

I am going to continue messing around over the next few days and will likely attempt a High Sierra install, if/when I get to that point I will write a new guide for everyone!

Best,
JC
Glad to hear you're back in the game! I follow this thread solely for the fact that I own a Lenovo T440s, which is very similar to the hardware of your machine. Your guide has helped me in a few scenarios.

One thing us T440s owners are struggling with is the VoodooPS2Controller customizations a few people have made (tluck and yourself). The problem is, sometimes the customizations don't work on boot. Only a reboot will get them to work. If you manage to get it working with Sierra or later MacOS, please let us know! You can follow along here where I plan to work with @Sniki to try to solve this problem once and for all:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-lenovo-thinkpad-t440s.244798/page-2#post-1723825

@CoBrA2168 there's no doubt in my mind that I will be diving back into the code of VoodooPS2Controller over the next few days or weeks.

I literally just got the High Sierra installer to pop up on my screen, so I am a little ways off at this point in time. I'm hoping that I might be able to make my changes again in such a way that I could submit a pull request and get them into @RehabMan's repo (assuming I can make these changes without breaking anything on other machines)

If I make any progress whatsoever I will make sure to share and tag you all! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back