Contribute
Register

[Guide] 10.11+ USB changes and solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your ioreg is corrupt... probably wrong version of IORegistryExplorer.
And your problem reporting files are incomplete anyway.

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully.

Thanks for your patience RehabMan. I appreciate I'm really slow at this. I got mixed up with the "problem reporting stuff" as I saw a post saying describe your problem clearly and attach relevant files. I think I finally found the right post for "Problem Reporting". When I first read post #1 on this thread and clicked on the link to FAQ "problem reporting" it seemed to be all about laptops so I was confused and not sure if it applied to me as my setup is a desktop. Anyway further down that thread I found the question: "What are typical "problem reporting" files. Hopefully these are the right one and relevant to a desktop as well. I've done my best to follow those instructions (hopefully that's right) and I downloaded the patchamatic zip and put it in usr/bin along with the other things recommended. Changed my IOReg to version 2.1 and I think I've made all the right zips of everything. I exported the Terminal outputs but somehow they wouldn't upload to this site so I took screen shots of them instead.
Screen Shot 2017-05-18 Terminal outpu A.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-18 terminal output B.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-18 terminal output B.png
Still having the same issue with USB3. i.e. it is intermittent. It seems to be somehow linked to sleep. Sometimes after sleep USB3 ports are all active. Sometimes not. Attached are the files and outputs suggested. Hope this helps. And thanks again.

Attachments

• CLOVER copy no themes 170517.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 84
  • IO Reg Craig’s iMac 170517.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 83
  • RehabMan.zip
    52.7 KB · Views: 66
Thanks for your patience RehabMan. I appreciate I'm really slow at this. I got mixed up with the "problem reporting stuff" as I saw a post saying describe your problem clearly and attach relevant files. I think I finally found the right post for "Problem Reporting". When I first read post #1 on this thread and clicked on the link to FAQ "problem reporting" it seemed to be all about laptops so I was confused and not sure if it applied to me as my setup is a desktop. Anyway further down that thread I found the question: "What are typical "problem reporting" files. Hopefully these are the right one and relevant to a desktop as well. I've done my best to follow those instructions (hopefully that's right) and I downloaded the patchamatic zip and put it in usr/bin along with the other things recommended. Changed my IOReg to version 2.1 and I think I've made all the right zips of everything. I exported the Terminal outputs but somehow they wouldn't upload to this site so I took screen shots of them instead. View attachment 255654 View attachment 255654 View attachment 255655 View attachment 255654 View attachment 255655 Still having the same issue with USB3. i.e. it is intermittent. It seems to be somehow linked to sleep. Sometimes after sleep USB3 ports are all active. Sometimes not. Attached are the files and outputs suggested. Hope this helps. And thanks again.

The ioreg is still corrupt.

Strange that it's corrupt. I followed the instructions and did "save a copy as", then opened the file to check it opened in IOReg and it did. Not sure what I'm missing. Attached is another IOReg copy done just now. Hope it helps. Thanks

A couple more questions. 1) Given that USB3 is still intermittent is it okay to go ahead and make the customised SSDT? I've read the guide and think, although somewhat intimidating, I'm up to give it a go and I need to so.... 2) Will that fix the issue or does something else need to be resolved prior? 3) In your guide to making a custom SSDT there were 2 different ports for each USB 3 port:

"Note that the SSxx ports will have a corresponding HSxx port. The SSxx port (or SSPx) is used when you plug in a USB3 device. The HSxx port is used when you plug in a USB2 device. USB2 only ports will use only HSxx."

My IOReg is only showing HSxx ports. What is wrong here?

Attachments

• Craig’s iMac 190517.ioreg
    5.6 MB · Views: 79
Strange that it's corrupt. I followed the instructions and did "save a copy as", then opened the file to check it opened in IOReg and it did. Not sure what I'm missing. Attached is another IOReg copy done just now. Hope it helps. Thanks

A couple more questions. 1) Given that USB3 is still intermittent is it okay to go ahead and make the customised SSDT? I've read the guide and think, although somewhat intimidating, I'm up to give it a go and I need to so.... 2) Will that fix the issue or does something else need to be resolved prior? 3) In your guide to making a custom SSDT there were 2 different ports for each USB 3 port:

"Note that the SSxx ports will have a corresponding HSxx port. The SSxx port (or SSPx) is used when you plug in a USB3 device. The HSxx port is used when you plug in a USB2 device. USB2 only ports will use only HSxx."

My IOReg is only showing HSxx ports. What is wrong here?

Your USB configuration is wrong.
Read the guide for creating custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext.

I exported the Terminal outputs but somehow they wouldn't upload to this site so I took screen shots of them instead.
Terminal's "Export Text As..." command creates a .txt file. Upload that. If it doesn't work, compress it and upload the zip. You know zip works because you were able to attach those...

Terminal's "Export Text As..." command creates a .txt file. Upload that. If it doesn't work, compress it and upload the zip. You know zip works because you were able to attach those...

TIP: You can select/copy text in Terminal to the clipboard.

TIP: You can select/copy text in Terminal to the clipboard.
Yes, you can paste the contents into a forum post between [ code ] [ /code ] tags, but for large amounts of text an attachment may be preferable. You can paste the contents into a new text file and try to attach that, but then CraigDenham had a problem with that for some reason I still don't know, so I suggested the zip option as an alternative.

Thanks, will do that next time if I have the same problem. I had read somewhere that upload txt files was no good.

Your USB configuration is wrong.
Read the guide for creating custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext.

I have read the entire guide a number of times now and have been following it as best I can. I can't see anything in there that describes how or why my USB configuration is wrong. I installed the USBInjectAll.kext, I changed XHCI - XHC, I've managed to do the port discovery (whilst my USB3 is going). The only thing I'm not using from the guide is: FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and as I haven't made an SSDT yet I am assuming I don't need to use
-uia_ignore_rmcf.

I have no idea why I only see HSxx ports and not the equivalent SSxx ports on the relevant USB3 ports. Really not sure what I'm missing.

1) is it OK to uninstall USBInjectAll.kext. and start again?
2) how do I do uninstall it?

Yes, you can paste the contents into a forum post between [ code ] [ /code ] tags, but for large amounts of text an attachment may be preferable. You can paste the contents into a new text file and try to attach that, but then CraigDenham had a problem with that for some reason I still don't know, so I suggested the zip option as an alternative.

For "Problem Reporting" as per post #1, the amount of text is not large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back