Contribute
Register

[Guide] 10.11+ USB changes and solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think now is according to the rules.

Please fill out your profile with hardware details as requested.

You have not implemented any of the suggestions in post #1.

Read the entire post to get an idea about the various problems and solutions.

Then read post #1, "Specific recommendations..." as pertains to your hardware.

Note: From your ioreg, it appears that the XHCI controller is disabled (in BIOS?)

Hi Rehabman,

Thanks for all your effort in the community. I have been out of the osx86 game for a while but was recently asked to build a machine for a friend. It was early days el capitan and I used z97 d3h gigabyte board with intel graphics. We agreed he wouldn't need USB 3 at present so I didn't get this working.

Now he tells me the system reboots randomly but quite often. I'm going down to see him next weekend to try and solve the problem but googling about is leading me to believe that it may be caused by the kernel making calls to devices that are not present.

My question: Could the instability be caused by lack of correct USB operation? And where would I find logs that may tell me if this was the case?

Any signposting would be much appreciated,

Stu

Hi Rehabman,

Thanks for all your effort in the community. I have been out of the osx86 game for a while but was recently asked to build a machine for a friend. It was early days el capitan and I used z97 d3h gigabyte board with intel graphics. We agreed he wouldn't need USB 3 at present so I didn't get this working.

Now he tells me the system reboots randomly but quite often. I'm going down to see him next weekend to try and solve the problem but googling about is leading me to believe that it may be caused by the kernel making calls to devices that are not present.

My question: Could the instability be caused by lack of correct USB operation? And where would I find logs that may tell me if this was the case?

Any signposting would be much appreciated,

Stu

It is a little difficult to give advice on "instability" without knowing the details of how the system was installed. It could be anything.

It is a bad idea to rename XHCI to XH01. That makes it match Apple's name, which is exactly what you don't want. Rename to XHC instead (note ACPI represents all names as four characters with underscore padding, so XHC is actually XHC_).

And something is wrong with your EHCI#1 USB2 controller... drivers are not loading for it. May be some sort of ACPI power problem... I've seen it before with X99, but since I'm not familiar with these boards (no plans to get one), I'm not sure what the solution is.

But if your EHCI#1 controller is disabled, it is not going to help to route USB2 on XHCI to it (that's what FakePCIID_XHCIMux does).

There is evidence that the port limit patch is active. Be aware that using the port limit patch is not a long term solution, and instead should be used only to determine all active ports.

If you can stay within the 15-port limit, perhaps a better solution for you (unless you can get EHCI#1 working) is to keep all USB2 on XHCI (don't use FakePCIID_XHCIMux).

Thanks RehabMan, you are great ... If I were not married I would marry you :D
No one imagines what had to read and try to get it! Sometimes the suggestions seem similar, but not always work and at this point my system is a mixture of several tutorials lol, but the important thing is always quick starts like Windows, without KPS and even dsdt use or ssdt lol. Just do not yet have the BT work, but I know I'm very close to get ...
My UEFI Bios settings for EHCI Handoff are enable an as you suggested, i rename XHCI to XHC and removed the FakePCIID_XHCIMux kext from Clover folder and the result is attached. A few more USBs to life (not yet tested now all running, but I think so) and the name of the Bluetooth adapter already appears in the tree of USB, but unfortunately is not yet available in the network connections ... is still missing something but I'm close.
Hi-fi my Asus X-99 Pro USB 3.1 now also runs on OS X 11.4, but it was through another site and do not know if I can put the link here...
RehabMan one more question: The only kext that until now installed in S/L/E was the HI-FI kext, after having edited. All other kexts are in Clover folder. What do you think best? I install them as well or leave them only in Clover folder? The truth is that just as it is works! Thanks :thumbup:

Attachments

• Asus X-99 Pro Usbs 2.0 and ASM 3.0 working on 11.04.zip
    606.7 KB · Views: 69
Thanks RehabMan, you are great ... If I were not married I would marry you :D
No one imagines what had to read and try to get it! Sometimes the suggestions seem similar, but not always work and at this point my system is a mixture of several tutorials lol, but the important thing is always quick starts like Windows, without KPS and even dsdt use or ssdt lol. Just do not yet have the BT work, but I know I'm very close to get ...
My UEFI Bios settings for EHCI Handoff are enable an as you suggested, i rename XHCI to XHC and removed the FakePCIID_XHCIMux kext from Clover folder and the result is attached. A few more USBs to life (not yet tested now all running, but I think so) and the name of the Bluetooth adapter already appears in the tree of USB, but unfortunately is not yet available in the network connections ... is still missing something but I'm close.
Hi-fi my Asus X-99 Pro USB 3.1 now also runs on OS X 11.4, but it was through another site and do not know if I can put the link here...
RehabMan one more question: The only kext that until now installed in S/L/E was the HI-FI kext, after having edited. All other kexts are in Clover folder. What do you think best? I install them as well or leave them only in Clover folder? The truth is that just as it is works! Thanks :thumbup:

No "Problem Reporting" files, so a little difficult to respond.

Bluetooth is showing as working on Asmedia ports. Did you install BrcmPatchRAM?

No idea what you mean by "HI-FI".

All kexts you need should be installed to the system volume. Essential kexts should be in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other so you can boot the recovery partition and/or installer.

No "Problem Reporting" files, so a little difficult to respond.

Bluetooth is showing as working on Asmedia ports. Did you install BrcmPatchRAM?

No idea what you mean by "HI-FI".

All kexts you need should be installed to the system volume. Essential kexts should be in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other so you can boot the recovery partition and/or installer.

Ok now, my Asus X99 Pro USB 3.1 is fully working with El Capitan 11.04. All hardware is recognized and works great!
Rahabman, excuse my mistake I wrote wrong when I said "hi-fi". I was referring to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0, both already work and my Windows Phone was quickly detected and connected :headbang:
I've always heard that what is good should not change, and I think I'll keep kexts only in clover folder. As is the system starts very quickly and never give errors and O.S keeps clean :mrgreen:
If interesting for the forum, I will make a specific guide based on my system for El Cap 11.04
Again, for me it works, as you can see in the attached files!
Thanks

Attachments

• All working prints.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
Ok now, my Asus X99 Pro USB 3.1 is fully working with El Capitan 11.04. All hardware is recognized and works great!
Rahabman, excuse my mistake I wrote wrong when I said "hi-fi". I was referring to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0, both already work and my Windows Phone was quickly detected and connected :headbang:
I've always heard that what is good should not change, and I think I'll keep kexts only in clover folder. As is the system starts very quickly and never give errors and O.S keeps clean :mrgreen:
If interesting for the forum, I will make a specific guide based on my system for El Cap 11.04
Again, for me it works, as you can see in the attached files!
Thanks

You're free to do what you want, but it is my opinion that it is better to use kext injection only when needed. It is "more native" to install than to inject. Think of it this way: If you purchase non-Apple hardware for your Mac and it comes with its own kexts, does the hardware vendor come up with a crazy method to get the kext to load without being installed? ... No, they don't... they install the kext to the system volume so they can go to kernel cache just like the rest of the Apple provided kexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back