Contribute
Register

[Guide] 10.11+ USB changes and solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I've been trying for a while now to get a "USB" device working that simply isn't being recognised by macOS; what I have is a
Broadcom BCM94352 PCIe Half Mini combined Wi-Fi and Bluetooth card. With a few fixes and tweaks from Toleda's Thread on InsanelyMac the Wi-Fi works perfectly with no fuss, but the Bluetooth continues to elude me.

Toleda's thread requires having a fixed USB setup following this guide here, but nothing I've tried seems to allow the Bluetooth aspect of the card to be recognised. Here's a quick overview of what I did:

• Used DSDT patch to rename EHC1 to EH01, I don't appear to have an EHC2 but renamed that to EH02 anyway. XHC is already correctly named.
  • Installed FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, which seems to be working quite happily (all my USB2 devices show up under EH01). I also have FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext as per Toleda's thread, along with the BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext to inject Bluetooth firmware if it is ever recognised.
  • Installed USBInjectAll.kext, this disabled all of my USB3 devices (external hard drives) so I added the -uia_exclude_xhc boot option which brought them back.
  • Since Bluetooth wasn't visible at this point I also tried the _OSI fix by adding the supplied (and then compiled) SSDT-XOSI.aml, added it to my SortedOrder in Clover's config.plist, and added the appropriate DSDT patch. This didn't appear to make any difference though, so I've removed it for now.
  • I'm not 100% sure if I have the type of 8-series system that needs a port limit patch as I wasn't sure which specific device-id I was supposed to look for, but under XHC@14 the compatible property mentioned pci8086,8c31 so I figured I'd give the port limit patch a try by raising from 15 to 20, but this doesn't appear to have helped either, so I've likewise disabled that for the time being.

Toleda seems to be blaming me for not having fixed USB, but nothing I've tried from this guide seems to make the Bluetooth device visible anywhere at all; I believe it's supposed to show up on one of the internal USB hubs but isn't, so the firmware injector for it is never getting a chance to do anything.

Thing is, the USB for my motherboard worked pretty well with macOS out of the box; it only has 4 USB3 ports, and a header for more USB2 that I haven't used, so I haven't much need to disable anything, it's just enabling this one specific device that I'm having problems with and don't know why.

I did have Bluetooth working way back once upon a time, but it was under macOS 10.10 I think, and using a much older firmware injector, so while I know that it can work, I'm just at a total loss as to why it won't. It broke when I updated to 10.11 and since I never used bluetooth much I didn't bother investigating further until I finally got around to updating to 10.13, and would like to get Bluetooth finally working again if I can.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone might have, do let me know if there's anymore information I can provide. My system details should all be listed in my profile (I'm going to double check them now).

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

I followed this instruction some time ago and everything works fine (usb 3 stuff with expected transmission speed) until recently (updated to 10.13.3 and migrated to AptioMemoryFix) I noticed that all my usb 3 devices are now working in usb2 mode. I tried to diagnose a bit but came out nothing.

in the ioreg dump, the usb hub I connected is actually a usb3.0 hub, however only the usb2 part was showing and the usb3 counter part is totally missing.

P.S. I have implemented usbinjectall ssdt patch and disabled the port limit patch as instructed.

Also, I've implemented USBX device in my UIAC (even though it has no affect as I'm using mac book pro 11,3 smbios, just wanted to leave it there for my future pc and as a reference), but it's also nowhere to be seen in my ioreg dump, is that normal?

update: it just came to me that, recently i purchased a nvme ssd and since my hm87 mother board doesn't support booting from nvme device, I modified it following this guide (essentially inserting a nvme module much like ozmsis), i didn't think it related but just in case.

Attachments

• debug_285.zip
    7.9 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I followed this instruction some time ago and everything works fine (usb 3 stuff with expected transmission speed) until recently (updated to 10.13.3 and migrated to AptioMemoryFix) I noticed that all my usb 3 devices are now working in usb2 mode. I tried to diagnose a bit but came out nothing.

in the ioreg dump, the usb hub I connected is actually a usb3.0 hub, however only the usb2 part was showing and the usb3 counter part is totally missing.

P.S. I have implemented usbinjectall ssdt patch and disabled the port limit patch as instructed.

Also, I've implemented USBX device in my UIAC (even though it has no affect as I'm using mac book pro 11,3 smbios, just wanted to leave it there for my future pc and as a reference), but it's also nowhere to be seen in my ioreg dump, is that normal?

update: it just came to me that, recently i purchased a nvme ssd and since my hm87 mother board doesn't support booting from nvme device, I modified it following this guide (essentially inserting a nvme module much like ozmsis), i didn't think it related but just in case.

ACPI/origin files are too old (they are from Jan 27, today is Jan 30).
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Attachments

• origin.zip
    66.9 KB · Views: 87
Must be along with EFI/Clover, ioreg, etc, as per problem reporting.

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.

My hm87 mother board doesn't support booting from nvme device, I have modified it following this guide (essentially inserting a nvme module much like ozmsis).

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    11.1 MB · Views: 68

My hm87 mother board doesn't support booting from nvme device, I have modified it following this guide (essentially inserting a nvme module much like ozmsis).

Your ioreg is corrupt. It was not captured with IORegistryExplorer v2.1.
Please read "Problem Reporting" carefully.

Your ioreg is corrupt. It was not captured with IORegistryExplorer v2.1.
Please read "Problem Reporting" carefully.
sorry my bad.
the tool picked 3.0 version rather than v2.1 and I didn't check

Attachments

• debug_23685.zip
    8 MB · Views: 106
sorry my bad.
the tool picked 3.0 version rather than v2.1 and I didn't check

Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

You should consider removing FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and putting everything on XHC.
See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Sorry for the slow update, looks like when I asked a followup I forgot to quote anyone; was just wondering in what state should I generate the problem reporting files? Should I do this after reapplying all the Bluetooth specific patching steps I took (which includes USBInjectAll.kext's guide) or should I do it as I am now, where I reverted all of those changes (i.e- nothing added/patched for Bluetooth)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back