Contribute
Register

Guidance requested: Mountain Lion to latest Mac OS (or close)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ... I did add that information, may not have added in the correct place. It is in my profile.

Anyways, it is “Gigabyte Intel Z77 Dual Thunderbolt ATX Motherboard”. I got it from Amazon as per the install instructions and purchase instructions 4 years back.

Earlier in this thread, you had suggested to install on another SSD just in case there are problems. My App Store has been showing that I can upgrade to HSierra but have not taken that plunge.

If the simple act of upgrade via App Store like other apps have been so far works, I would prefer doing that if the chance of things going wrong are small or none. That vs getting another SSD, adding the hardware and the instructions.

I am looking at your expert guidance. Please advise.

Atul
Upgrade should go smoothly, but backup to another drive or to off-line time machine storage before upgrading from ML to HS.

Upgrade should go smoothly, but backup to another drive or to off-line time machine storage before upgrading from ML to HS.

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation with Mountain Lion, looking to upgrade. I've got a current time machine backup on a non-boot drive, so I'm OK with just doing the in place upgrade. When I try to download from the app store I get the message - We could not complete your purchase. This version of macOS 10.13.4 cannot be installed on this computer.

Any ideas? I can post my hardware settings if needed, but I'm sure I have plenty of memory and storage. The machine was built from instructions here when ML was current.

Thanks,

DE

This version of macOS 10.13.4 cannot be installed on this computer.
You should probably change your system definition to that of a Mac that qualifies for the High Sierra upgrade.

You should probably change your system definition to that of a Mac that qualifies for the High Sierra upgrade.

I just attempted to upgrade from the App Store/Update, I got the same message "could not complete purchase...cannot install 10.13.4". How do we change the system definition?

Note: In my earlier post on this thread when I was approaching this as a stepped upgrade (i.e. go from ML to El Cap and then to HighSierra), I was able to download El Capitan and it was letting me install. Is that a route to take?

Great! Unfortunately, I am not aware how to. Would you be able to share instructions?

Also, what do you recommend about the upgrade route of MLion to ElCap and then to HighSierra?

Thank you.
Atul

Great! Unfortunately, I am not aware how to. Would you be able to share instructions?
Run MultiBeast and change the system definition.

Also, what do you recommend about the upgrade route of MLion to ElCap and then to HighSierra?
Your choice.

Hi,

How do I see/know my current system definition?
- I am probably MacPro3,1 (my friend may have chosen to keep the default when we (mostly him) built this in 2014.

For me to directly attempt installing High Sierra: What should be the system definition for High Sierra?

Just in case I go the normal install El Capitan route: What should be the system definition for El Capitan?

Thanks for your help,
Atul

Hi,

How do I see/know my current system definition?
- I am probably MacPro3,1 (my friend may have chosen to keep the default when we (mostly him) built this in 2014.

For me to directly attempt installing High Sierra: What should be the system definition for High Sierra?

Just in case I go the normal install El Capitan route: What should be the system definition for El Capitan?
It is time for you to start working for yourself, I do not have the patience to teach you Hackintoshing from scratch.
Your current system definition is shown in "About This Mac".
As for what it needs to be for High Sierra, you can Google the requirements to qualify for that operating system and likewise for El Capitan. You can use everymac.com or the free Mactracker app to find a system definition that matches your hardware as closely as possible.

There are many guides available on this site to help you - The forum Search tool will prove useful in that respect.
You should ascertain your current boot loader (probably Chimera) and if necessary read how to upgrade to Clover because you will need Clover in order to boot High Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back