Contribute
Register

Guidance requested: Mountain Lion to latest Mac OS (or close)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
GT 640
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello
My friend and I built my system in 2012. We used Multibeat 5.2.0 to install Mountain Lion. It has been a while and life has been good with the system. My browsers are no longer working with many sites. It is time to upgrade

Current version: 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)
Processor: Intel 3.4 Ghz Core i7. 32 GB RAM

If there a post already with instructions, can the moderator of this forum provide a link?
If there is none, looking for help.

Thank you
Atul

Hello... A quick check-in... Requesting someone/moderator to confirm that I have to simply download Sierra and install (nothing else, except I guess backup)?

Atul

Hello... A quick check-in... Requesting someone/moderator to confirm that I have to simply download Sierra and install (nothing else, except I guess backup)?

Atul
You can either install over Mountain Lion or upgrade to a SSD.
Strongly suggest the SSD. You can then download Sierra app, select the SSD and let the app install to the SSD.
Then if there are problems getting audio/networking etc. working you have the ML drive to fall back on for an OS until you find a fix for the problems.
It also gives you a chance to migrate apps to the new drive and make sure they work with Sierra.

Thank you!

My primary boot drive for ML is already SSD.

I like your suggestion so wanted to seek clarification. Are you suggesting a second internal SSD (to do this will be first time for me, instructions will help tremendously), install Sierra on that new secondary one and boot from that drive? If all works, I make that as my primary boot drive going forward. Is that the suggested plan?

If yes, this lets me continue using ML while taking the time to troubleshoot Sierra on the side, if there are any.

Thanks,
Atul

Thank you!

My primary boot drive for ML is already SSD.

I like your suggestion so wanted to seek clarification. Are you suggesting a second internal SSD (to do this will be first time for me, instructions will help tremendously), install Sierra on that new secondary one and boot from that drive? If all works, I make that as my primary boot drive going forward. Is that the suggested plan?

If yes, this lets me continue using ML while taking the time to troubleshoot Sierra on the side, if there are any.

Thanks,
Atul
Exactly right. Just install the SSD internally as if it was a storage drive, format it for Mac OS with ML Disk Utility, launch the install Sierra app and point it at the new drive.

You will need to install Clover to boot Sierra and you will need to make the Sierra drive the primary boot drive, or you can replace Chimera/Chameleon on the ML drive with Clover.

Troubleshooting would be a lot easier if you enter your hardware manufacturer/models in your profile. As it is right now your profile info is useless.

Hello ... I am back. My apologies. Life needed other focus for a while.

First off, I have updated my profile with hardware information. Please let me know what else may be helpful

My quest to upgrade continues... I was thinking of another approach before I try the one advised above (separate SSD etc.)

I downloaded El Capitan because that is the path from MLion to HSierra.

Do you still recommend the separate SSD way or can I install/upgrade to El Capitan and upgrade to HSierra?

Please advise
Atul

Hello ... I am back. My apologies. Life needed other focus for a while.

First off, I have updated my profile with hardware information. Please let me know what else may be helpful

Please advise
Atul
I have never heard of your mobo model - where did you get it?

You can go straight to HSierra from MLion without needing ElCap.

Hi ... I did add that information, may not have added in the correct place. It is in my profile.

Anyways, it is “Gigabyte Intel Z77 Dual Thunderbolt ATX Motherboard”. I got it from Amazon as per the install instructions and purchase instructions 4 years back.

Earlier in this thread, you had suggested to install on another SSD just in case there are problems. My App Store has been showing that I can upgrade to HSierra but have not taken that plunge.

If the simple act of upgrade via App Store like other apps have been so far works, I would prefer doing that if the chance of things going wrong are small or none. That vs getting another SSD, adding the hardware and the instructions.

I am looking at your expert guidance. Please advise.

Atul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back