Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte H81M-S2H
CPU
Intel i5 4460 Quad Core
Graphics
Radeon R9 280
Trying to install El Capitan and I keep receiving the GUID Partition Table scheme is required.

Tried to format the partition I want to install El Capitan on but I don't get a scheme option.

It's a 2TB HDD that's partitioned. One partition holds Windows 10 and the other had Yosemite on there but I'm now trying to install El Capitan onto there.

Help?

Trying to install El Capitan and I keep receiving the GUID Partition Table scheme is required.

Tried to format the partition I want to install El Capitan on but I don't get a scheme option.

It's a 2TB HDD that's partitioned. One partition holds Windows 10 and the other had Yosemite on there but I'm now trying to install El Capitan onto there.

Help?

Did you install Windows 10 in UEFI Mode? If not, you will either have to reinstall Windows or install El Capitan in Legacy BIOS mode in order to have them coexist on the same drive. All OS's on a hard drive must be installed in either UEFI or Legacy BIOS mode, they can't be mixed.

GUID Partition Map is the partitioning scheme you use for UEFI mode. Master Boot Record (MBR) is the partitioning scheme you use for Legacy BIOS mode.

To partition using a GUID Partition Table, partition the drive in OS X's Disk Utility, choosing "GUID Partition Map" for the Scheme (it's under the "Options" button at the bottom).

Did you install Windows 10 in UEFI Mode? If not, you will either have to reinstall Windows or install El Capitan in Legacy BIOS mode in order to have them coexist on the same drive. All OS's on a hard drive must be installed in either UEFI or Legacy BIOS mode, they can't be mixed.

GUID Partition Map is the partitioning scheme you use for UEFI mode. Master Boot Record (MBR) is the partitioning scheme you use for Legacy BIOS mode.

To partition using a GUID Partition Table, partition the drive in OS X's Disk Utility, choosing "GUID Partition Map" for the Scheme (it's under the "Options" button at the bottom).

Hi nobodynose. Greatly appreciate your reply

From what I can see, the hard drive that holds both OS's has a partition map of Master Boot Record. Within that has the two partitions been created; one holding Windows OS and the other Mac.

How do I now install El Capitan in legacy BIOS mode?

Help?
When the original installation was done, was Win10 installed on the first or second partition? Was Win10 installed Legacy mode or UEFI mode?
If Win10 is on second partition, and you are using Chimera as a boot loader, then chances are you formatted the drive originally GUID to install OS X, then formatted the second partition MSDOS FAT, thereby creating a hybrid GUID/MBR partition for Win10 and it is installed Legacy mode.
Do you still have Yosemite installed? If yes, there is no need to format the partition. At the OS X install screen launch disk utility and select the OS X partition. Select erase, make sure it says OS X Extended (Journaled), and look for a button to click to check the format GUID/MBR and verify GUID is selected. Then go ahead and erase the partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back