CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a GTX980Ti Kingpin edition card that I only recently picked up. https://www.evga.com/articles/00944/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-KINGPIN/

This card is strong enough to push Battlefield 1 at 2560 x 1600 resolution with a workable fps of around 60. I am running dual 4K monitors but I only use that same 2560 x 1600 resolution on my desktops.

The problem I have is:
If I have both monitors turned on while playing BF1 the computer freezes after 20~ minutes. If I turn OFF the second monitor the game plays as expected. This is for Win 10 Pro.​

On the Mac side, I run into a problem only while exporting FCPX video files. I can get about the first 15~ minutes of an hour and a half show to export before the system freezes and I need to reboot. Once again, if I turn off the second monitor FCPX works as expected.

I thought it was something wrong with this card so I contacted EVGA and they agreed to replace the card. I got the replacement card and lo and behold - same issue.

As a troubleshooting effort, I removed the 980Ti and put in an older GTX 970. I kept everything else the same and the computer never freezes. I only get half the FPS (which would force me to run BF1 at lower settings) but at least the system says running.

Thanks,

/Bob

hmmm.... as I was typing this up I had FCPX running in the background exporting that same show and my second monitor has been on the whole time.... it's at 53% done which is twice what it usually dies at... I wonder if this problem might be related to sleep issues because I sometimes walk away from the computer while it exports. I had changed the Sys Pref Energy Setting to NEVER SLEEP just for this export.

Strange issue. Did you try a different connector on your GPU? Since the crashs only appear under load, it could also be a power issue.

Interesting idea. That card did require more power than anything I ever had before. It requires two 8-pin AND one 6-pin power connectors to even boot. I scrambled to cobble together another power connector to add that extra power.

Well, I am hoping I might have solved this issue. I am not OC'ing this card, just running it stock. When I got the card it must have been a refurbished one because I just spotted that the card's BIOS switch had been set to LN2. With the switch set at that setting all sorts of protection/sensor setting are turned OFF so you can push the card to it's limits.

In essence the card was not protecting itself from anything...

I moved it to "NORMAL" and will run it for a while and see what happens.

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 8.58.29 AM.png

FYI- http://forum.kingpincooling.com/showthread.php?t=3820

That has not helped... I am getting frustrated...
I sent an email to EVGA and we'll see what happens. Today the card went off twice while just reading the morning news in Safari.

Is there a way for me to see the temps on the video card with OS X? EVGA only has Windows software.

What kind/model of Power Sulppy do you have built in?

I have the same problem. Seems running it in Kboost helps however it is still intermittent. bump

I pulled this card out and put it back in it's box.... seems like a waste. It runs great with a single monitor. I replaced it with a eVGA GTX 1080Ti. That card runs two 4K monitors just fine. With the same power supply and MB.
I have a Corsair 650W PS, 6 years old and still going strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back