Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I am trying to build a dual boot (Yosemite and Windows) custom PC. Here are my components:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Pending... Ideally a GTX970 GPU

I would like to get a GTX970 GPU, but I've read that there are some compatibility issues that need tweaking before I can get it to work. However, when I read about these tweaks/fixes (like kernal flag edition), it seems like they are all done through either Chameleon or Clover. Does that mean I can't use Unibeast to install Yosemite if I want to add a GTX970?

If I can set up my dual boot with Unibeast and still have a working GTX970, then can someone enlighten me on how it's done?

And If I do need to use Chameleon or Clover if I want to use a GTX970, then can some one point me to a guide where I can read about setting up dual booting with Chameleon or Clover? It seems like most of the dual-booting guide I read uses Unibeast...

Thank you so much!

Hi,

I am trying to build a dual boot (Yosemite and Windows) custom PC. Here are my components:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Pending... Ideally a GTX970 GPU

I would like to get a GTX970 GPU, but I've read that there are some compatibility issues that need tweaking before I can get it to work. However, when I read about these tweaks/fixes (like kernal flag edition), it seems like they are all done through either Chameleon or Clover. Does that mean I can't use Unibeast to install Yosemite if I want to add a GTX970?

If I can set up my dual boot with Unibeast and still have a working GTX970, then can someone enlighten me on how it's done?

And If I do need to use Chameleon or Clover if I want to use a GTX970, then can some one point me to a guide where I can read about setting up dual booting with Chameleon or Clover? It seems like most of the dual-booting guide I read uses Unibeast...

Thank you so much!

Unibeast is only for installing OS X. After that you boot from the Unibeast drive and install your bootloader (Chimera, Chameleon or Clover) from OS X. Unibeast uses the Chimera bootloader so all the same kernel flags still apply - just boot with nv_disable=1 while installing and for the first boot of OS X before you install the Nvidia drivers.

Hi,

Just a follow up, because I wanted to confirm compatibility before ordering, most of my parts are here except for my GTX970 graphics card (ordering now). Is it possible to set up my hackintosh without my graphics card first (just use the one on motherboard), then change the settings (kernel flags) in bootloader after my GPU arrive? Or does it have to be done when I install my OS for the first time?

Thanks!

Hi,

Just a follow up, because I wanted to confirm compatibility before ordering, most of my parts are here except for my GTX970 graphics card (ordering now). Is it possible to set up my hackintosh without my graphics card first (just use the one on motherboard), then change the settings (kernel flags) in bootloader after my GPU arrive? Or does it have to be done when I install my OS for the first time?

Thanks!

I'm running an MSI GTX970 Gaming card and it's working well

I used these flags when installing Yosemite

nv_disable=1, GraphicsEnabler=No, -x, -v

After install finishes, load mulibeast and install the Nvidia drivers and you should be good to go

You will also need to restart with nvda_drv=1 to enable the graphics card

Sorry I guess I wasn't clear on my question.

I was thinking about setting up my dual-booting system this weekend. But my GPU won't be here until next weekend. So I was wondering if I can complete Yosemite installation this weekend without the GPU (with no change to kernel flag, just use the integrated motherboard chip), and install the GPU (and change the kernel flag) next weekend after my GPU arrives.

Since I am new to hackintosh, I'm confused to when the kernel flag can be (or should be) changed. Is it something that I can easily change anytime after the initial Yosemite installation? Or is it something that I MUST DO when I install Yosemite for the first time (which I will be doing this weekend ideally).

So long question short, if I build my computer and set up a functional dual boot system without my GPU this weekend, will I be able to easily change my kernel flag and install my GPU next weekend?

Thank you so much and sorry for the newbie questions.

Sorry I guess I wasn't clear on my question.

I was thinking about setting up my dual-booting system this weekend. But my GPU won't be here until next weekend. So I was wondering if I can complete Yosemite installation this weekend without the GPU (with no change to kernel flag, just use the integrated motherboard chip), and install the GPU (and change the kernel flag) next weekend after my GPU arrives.

Since I am new to hackintosh, I'm confused to when the kernel flag can be (or should be) changed. Is it something that I can easily change anytime after the initial Yosemite installation? Or is it something that I MUST DO when I install Yosemite for the first time (which I will be doing this weekend ideally).

So long question short, if I build my computer and set up a functional dual boot system without my GPU this weekend, will I be able to easily change my kernel flag and install my GPU next weekend?

Thank you so much and sorry for the newbie questions.

i think the preferred method is to install with the onboard video 1st and then add the GPU 2nd.

So I think you have answered your own question

I only did it the way I did as didn't read the documentation!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back