Contribute
Register

GTX960 HDMI 2.0 - 4K TV - 30hz only - how to get 60hz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi IAmSpectre, sorry for my belated reply. Hope the below screenshots can still help you. I took these ones from my SwitchResX.

View attachment 218015 View attachment 218016 View attachment 218017

Hey everyone. I have been at this for over a week and I'm really starting to cringe every time I test the custom resolutions cause my TV gets no signal and then it's very hard to recover. I have an x79 board and a gtx 980. My tv is a Sony x850c and has hdmi 2.0 via the "enhanced" mode enabled in the tv's settings. I've run both pixel clock patches with sip disabled. Any time I click on 3840x2160 or the 1080p hidpi (which is ultimately what I'm after) I get a black screen followed by a loss of display signal a few moments after. I should also mention I have a club3d and have tried these methods with and without it. I have a brand new high speed hdmi cable as well. I've been worried that maybe I just don't have the right tv or right video card or whatever, but everything works perfectly in windows, so there's gotta be a way for me to get this working on the hackintosh side of things. I am running sierra 10.12.1. The only other thing I was thinking I might have to try is to setup my smbios as a 5K iMac (either 15,1 or 17,1) because I thought maybe something would be different since those machines are made to drive resolutions that high without any hacking. I don't know. Just a thought. I prefer to use Mac Pro 6,1 since my system is an X79 with an Ivy proc, but I am having the issue where the gtx 980 doesn't output any signal at any resolution when I use Mac Pro 6,1, iMac 15,1 or 17,1. I know there is a lengthy fix for that issue that I tried tonight and didn't have any luck with but I might reinstall sierra for probably the 30th time this week tomorrow and try to follow those instructions and see what happens on one of the 3 smbios I mentioned. If anyone has any other ideas at all, I'd be more than happy to PayPal a donation if I can get this thing working.

Thanks!

You need to choose 1080P HiDpi at 60 hrtz. That will run at 1080p with retina-like clarity.

I had to do this first to get them to show up.

Enable Hidpi Resolutions

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

I have managed to get 4K@60 Hz using SwitchResX, but I can not scale down to something like 2560x1440 because the control panel for my Samsung KU7590 does not provide detailed configuration settings like the one for my old Toshiba HD-TV does (see attached pictures). Is there any way to set the physical resolution AND the HiDPI resolution in SwitchResX or enable the detailed configuration control panel for the Samsung TV?

Attachments

• Samsung Control Panel.png
    Samsung Control Panel.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 426
  • Toshiba Control Panel.png
    Toshiba Control Panel.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 417
I have managed to get 4K@60 Hz using SwitchResX, but I can not scale down to something like 2560x1440 because the control panel for my Samsung KU7590 does not provide detailed configuration settings like the one for my old Toshiba HD-TV does (see attached pictures). Is there any way to set the physical resolution AND the HiDPI resolution in SwitchResX or enable the detailed configuration control panel for the Samsung TV?

Are you sure you ran the pixel clock patch and ran that terminal command to reveal hidpi resolutions?

https://github.com/Floris497/mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2

When I got those two things installed I had a huge list of resolutions in switchresx and did not have to make a custom one. I see 3840x2160 at various refresh rates including 60 and I also see the 1080p 60 hidpi which is what I use by default now.

I see 3840x2160 at various refresh rates including 60 and I also see the 1080p 60 hidpi which is what I use by default now.

Yes, I did patch the IOKit and am starting OS X (10.11.6) with "nv_spanmodepolicy = 1". What do you mean by revealing the HiDPI resolutions, is there a second command to issue beside the patch itself?

I do have 1080p60 in the list, but I had to create a 2160p60 by myself. I would like to use 1440p60 because my screen is 65 inches in size and this would give me a bit more space without reducing readability. Unfortunately there is no 2550x1440 with 60 Hz in the list, even after patching. And I am unable to create one, because either I create a scaled resolution (which in turn uses 30Hz) or I create a physical resolution but the textboxes for scaling are invisible.

Yes, I did patch the IOKit and am starting OS X (10.11.6) with "nv_spanmodepolicy = 1". What do you mean by revealing the HiDPI resolutions, is there a second command to issue beside the patch itself?

I do have 1080p60 in the list, but I had to create a 2160p60 by myself. I would like to use 1440p60 because my screen is 65 inches in size and this would give me a bit more space without reducing readability. Unfortunately there is no 2550x1440 with 60 Hz in the list, even after patching. And I am unable to create one, because either I create a scaled resolution (which in turn uses 30Hz) or I create a physical resolution but the textboxes for scaling are invisible.

I had to run this terminal command to enable HiDPI resolutions.

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

Yes, I did that, but this did not change anything for my Samsung-TV. The control panel for it is the Retina-like one with no possibility to change anything other to choose from five buttons.

Attachments

• Samsung Control Panel.png
    Samsung Control Panel.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 204
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back