Contribute
Register

GTX960 HDMI 2.0 - 4K TV - 30hz only - how to get 60hz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe 16Gb
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
Asus Nvidia GTX-960 4Gb Strix
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,
Apologies if this is resolved somewhere else, but I've searched high and low, but can't seem to resolve.

I have the following system:

Intel i7 3770
Asus P8Z77-v Deluxe Motherboard
16Gb Ram
250Gb SSD ( Corsair )
Asus Nvidia GTX960 4Gb Ram ( the Strix GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5 )

My Hackintosh is a Unibeast build 10.10.3 (14D131) - hardware profile set to iMac 13,2, and was working perfectly with my GTX660 and Asus P278q monitor, but I upgraded the card, and also bought a 4K 42" TV with HDMI inputs.

I'm using the Nvidia web drivers 346.01.02f01 and whilst everything is working fine, I can't for the life of me get it to run at 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz. I can only get it to run at 30hz max.

I have tried SwitchResX to no avail.

I also tried the Mac Pixel Clock Patcher, and thought i had found the solution, but when i go to SwitchResX and make a custom res of 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz ( or 50hz ) it just goes black screen.

I know my card is definitely HDMI 2.0, and I *assume* my TV being a 4K TV would be HDMI 2.0 - but there is no specific mention anywhere i can find ( it's this TV - http://www.bauhn.com.au/product-listing/42-ultra-hd-led-tv ).

I'm going to call the TV manufacturer on Monday, but wanted to see if anyone here had other thoughts on how I might go about enabling 60hz.

30Hz i'm noticing issues like - it sucks, mouse pointer is lagging, and it just doesn't look 'crisp'.

Other than that, having a 42" display is insanely cool - if only I could get 60hz I'd be soo happy!

Hope someone wiser than I has some thoughts.

Cheers

Seb

Last edited:
As of right now, nobody knows how to do it.

yup I think we will have to wait till apple supports HDMI 2.0

Right. I've reverted back to my ASUS PB278q monitor. It might not be 4k, but it's much crisper, truer colours and until HDMI 2.0 works on OSX I'll just have to sit tight.

yup, we're too far ahead of the curve. Sit tight.

I don't think HDMI 2.0 is the problem. It doesn't even make any sense to be honest.
Because there are monitors out there that work with 4K@60Hz without a problem right now.

I think that the problem is a software-lock.

Apple has most likely permitted specific monitors from specific partner manufacturers to work
with OS X, and they've done this by Software.

Hi all,
Apologies if this is resolved somewhere else, but I've searched high and low, but can't seem to resolve.

Intel i7 3770
16Gb Ram
250Gb SSD ( Corsair )

My Hackintosh is a Unibeast build 10.10.3 (14D131) - hardware profile set to iMac 13,2, and was working perfectly with my GTX660 and Asus P278q monitor, but I upgraded the card, and also bought a 4K 42" TV with HDMI inputs.

I'm using the Nvidia web drivers 346.01.02f01 and whilst everything is working fine, I can't for the life of me get it to run at 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz. I can only get it to run at 30hz max.

I know my card is definitely HDMI 2.0, and I *assume* my TV being a 4K TV would be HDMI 2.0 - but there is no specific mention anywhere i can find ( it's this TV - http://www.bauhn.com.au/product-listing/42-ultra-hd-led-tv ).

I'm going to call the TV manufacturer on Monday, but wanted to see if anyone here had other thoughts on how I might go about enabling 60hz.

30Hz i'm noticing issues like - it sucks, mouse pointer is lagging, and it just doesn't look 'crisp'.

Other than that, having a 42" display is insanely cool - if only I could get 60hz I'd be soo happy!

Cheers

Seb

I've seen a few posts where 4K@60Hz works with a GTX 750/Ti when using the displayport output
on the card, not with HDMI though. They were also using a 4K monitor by Dell or other company
that is specifically designed for a PC not for use as a TV monitor.

Hi all,

Intel i7 3770
16Gb Ram
250Gb SSD ( Corsair )

I have tried SwitchResX to no avail.

I also tried the Mac Pixel Clock Patcher, and thought i had found the solution, but when i go to SwitchResX and make a custom res of 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz ( or 50hz ) it just goes black screen.

Cheers

Seb

Are you sure that 4k tv supports 60Hz? It is very cheap and most 4k monitor only support 30Hz. 60Hz 4k monitors are usually over $1,000.

my lg 4k tv supports 4k at 60hz over hdmi 2.0. I have tried just about every work around for months. According to apple most 4k displays are now supported. That being said i have driven display port to hdmi, fail!, hdmi, dvi, wonky adapters and all i get is 30hz. I don't even get the text scaling option.

When I'm running windows 8.1 i get 60hz no problem and it looks absolutely stunning!!!!!!!!!!

If anybody knows I'm listening!!!!!!!

Mac 3.1
Intel i74770
Samsung M.2 250g
z97x-g7
16gig 1866
msi gtx 970

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back