Graphics
gtx1070
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My configuration:
-msi m5 z170a
-intel i5 5500
-gtx1070

i finished to install Catalina but the resolution is locked to 1280x1024, i tried to unplug the gpu from the motherboard and plug the hdmi in the motherboard and work all

i also have two monitor and only one work but it's less important

i'm new in the hackintosh world and i don't now what to do, can someone help me please?

Thanks

@lozibaldino,

Sigh .... this is old news which everyone should be aware of by now.

Ever since Apple implemented the Metal 2 graphics API in Mojave the only supported Nvidia GPU's in MacOS are legacy Kepler based GPU's which Apple shipped in some Mac's several years ago.

Nvidia no longer officially support MacOS, so they will never release updated drivers with Metal 2 support.

If you want to stick with your GTX 1070 then you can only run MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 which was the last version of MacOS that Nvidia released webdrivers for.

If you want to run Mojave or Catalina then you must either use the IGPU or replace GTX 1070 with AMD GPU.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
i know, but i saw someone that succeeds to use It and i wanted ti know if i can do it

i know, but i saw someone that succeeds to use It and i wanted ti know if i can do it

@lozibaldino,

Nope it is impossible ....

The posts that claim that they got it working are totally false, some novice users think they can get it working by patching the drivers and effectively forcing them to load which can allow the use of an unsupported Nvidia GPU in MacOS Mojave and Catalina however all that is happening is that the GPU is falling back to the baked in VESA drivers within the VBIOS.

VESA drivers are normally only used during booting for displaying the BIOS/UEFI.

If a user forces a Nvidia GPU to run in VESA mode in MacOS there is no Hardware acceleration, No Metal 2 support, No Open CL/Open GL ..basically the performance is truly awful ... any Intel IGPU will out perform a Nvidia GPU (even Titan or RTX) when it is run in VESA mode.

The bottom line is this ... MacOS Mojave and Catalina are fully optimised to use Apples Metal 2 API, Nvidia has never updated its WebDrivers to support Metal 2 so it's simply a dead end. Don't waste your time searching for a solution that does not exist. Move on ... switch to using the IGPU or get rid of the Nvidia GPU and buy a AMD one.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Could you recommend which one would you buy at this moment? Is it worth investing in AMD Radeon RX580 (my approx budget $200)? Or are there new better solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back