I9-9900k
Graphics
ASUS Radeon RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So, before I go out and buy a new graphics card, I was wondering if anyone can help. I can't find a single thread about this issue, which tells me it might be my Craigslist GTX 980 Ti 6GB card failing. Or perhaps a PSU or RAM issue? BIOS needs updating?

Here's the scoop:

When I boot up, 80% of the time I get no display. No POST, nothing, and I don't believe it is actually POSTing at all. Fans, HDDs, spin up, but nothing else happens. USB devices don't seem to be getting signal either. BUT, after multiple persistent reboots, the monitors do eventually turn on and everything is fine. It seems completely random. I've tried switching pcie slots, removing all USB devices, disconnecting HDDS and SSDs, disconnecting one monitor at a time in my dual setup, and no change.

This isn't the typical "black screen after the Apple logo" issue. It's "no display at all" until I get lucky after restarting multiple times. At first it was a minor annoyance, requiring 1-2 reboots. But now I'm up to 10-15 reboots before I ever see the POST screen.

Once the displays finally turn on, everything is fine. I've never had a GPU issue other than this. I will say that, though I know the fans on these cards are designed to only turn on when they reach a certain temperature... I don't think I've EVER noticed the fans spinning up on this card, which concerns me a little. Even when it gets almost too hot to touch, no fans spinning. This might explain it getting worse over time.

Thanks!

Asus Sabertooth X79
Intel Core i7 4930k
32GB RAM
EVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB CLASSIFIED
750W PSU
macOS 10.12.4
Clover Bootloader

So, before I go out and buy a new graphics card, I was wondering if anyone can help. I can't find a single thread about this issue, which tells me it might be my Craigslist GTX 980 Ti 6GB card failing. Or perhaps a PSU or RAM issue? BIOS needs updating?

Here's the scoop:

When I boot up, 80% of the time I get no display. No POST, nothing, and I don't believe it is actually POSTing at all. Fans, HDDs, spin up, but nothing else happens. USB devices don't seem to be getting signal either. BUT, after multiple persistent reboots, the monitors do eventually turn on and everything is fine. It seems completely random. I've tried switching pcie slots, removing all USB devices, disconnecting HDDS and SSDs, disconnecting one monitor at a time in my dual setup, and no change.

This isn't the typical "black screen after the Apple logo" issue. It's "no display at all" until I get lucky after restarting multiple times. At first it was a minor annoyance, requiring 1-2 reboots. But now I'm up to 10-15 reboots before I ever see the POST screen.

Once the displays finally turn on, everything is fine. I've never had a GPU issue other than this. I will say that, though I know the fans on these cards are designed to only turn on when they reach a certain temperature... I don't think I've EVER noticed the fans spinning up on this card, which concerns me a little. Even when it gets almost too hot to touch, no fans spinning. This might explain it getting worse over time.

Thanks!

Asus Sabertooth X79
Intel Core i7 4930k
32GB RAM
EVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB CLASSIFIED
750W PSU
macOS 10.12.4
Clover Bootloader

I have that identical issue. I have tried replacing HDMI/Display cables and trying all different ports until I arrive back to the same port I had tried multiple times with no luck and then it randomly receives signal. It was working fine originally when set up and its been about a month now where it takes multiple attempts to get it to send signal to my Samsung Monitor

Intel 7700K
Ballistix RAM 32GB 16X2
GTX 1060 SSC
Asus Maximus ROG IX Hero
EVGA 750 G2 Power Suuply

I just started a thread with the same issue, i changed my GPU from a 660ti to a 970. Not sure if that was the issue.
But like yours, everything seems to work fine apart from not having a signal.

Im keeping my eye on this thread just in case. Hopefully someone chijmes in

Last edited:
Issue still ongoing.

After more research, found some strong suggestions in PC forums about updating the BIOS for better GPU compatibility. Since this issue happens pre-bootloader, then it's obviously not purely a Hackintosh issue.

I currently have BIOS version 4608. There are 2 newer versions: 4701 and 4801.

amentamusic93, and input_output, what BOIS versions are you running?

Again, I'm fairly worried about bricking my build in attempting this, as so many have. And I'm sure it will reset my BIOS settings, which will be super fun in itself. :-|

From what I've experienced, macOS hasn't supported HDMI2.0 yet and more buggy on Sierra compared to El Capitan(980ti's HDMI port is 2.0).

I used to get those problem till someday I accidentally injected port number to Clover/Graphics and never get that issue again.

You can try and see if it helps.

I'm using an EVGA GTX980Ti Kingpin Edition and it will not show anything at all until I do a soft reboot.

If it's a cold start nothing will show up on the monitor but a warm restart everything shows as normal.
I didn't notice the problem for a week after I installed it but now it's on every reboot.

Just guessing a bit here - I know nothing about your GPU cards but the black screen is sometimes a UEFI setting relating to the GPU cards ability to work nicely with a UEFI BIOS. If you remove your CMOS battery for a few mins (sometimes up to 30mins) you should get back to a state where the GPU is most likely to work, once you have the ability to get into the BIOS look for GPU ROM options (sometimes in a section with other hardware ROMS). You are looking for the option of booting using Legacy ROMs or UEFI ROMS - If the card is not playing nicely with UEFI try setting the GPU setting to Legacy if that works try changing it back to UEFI and if the problem recurs then you will need to remove CMOS battery again and set your BIOS to use the GPU in Legacy mode.
If you do try this please feedback here.

Well... I don't know where you all are at, but last week it finally got to the point where I could no longer boot up at all. The VGA error LED stayed on no matter what I did - with or without GPU installed. Bummed I couldn't find a fix for this. The good news is that the problem was not my GPU, the most expensive part. I think my X79 just bit the dust. I was in the middle of doing some very time-sensitive work, so trouble-shooting the old fashioned way by replacing one component at a time was not an option.

Thankfully, I could afford an upgrade, so I went with Stork's "MyHero" build for about $850. Solid as a rock and even faster. Good times.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...og-maximus-viii-hero-i7-6700k-gtx-980.197284/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back