Contribute
Register

GTX 980 and displayport under Sierra possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97M Plus
CPU
i5-4460
Graphics
MSI Geforce GTX 980
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have Customac 2015-03 with the Samsung S22C650D 22" display connected via DVI. I updated to Sierra and Clover some weeks ago. Recently I got a GTX 980 and have updated successfully to 10.12.3 and installed the latest Nvidia Web Drivers prior to inserting the card. I tried to see if I could get DVI from the 980 to work as before and this only ends in a black screen without a prompt, just after I leave the verbose text view where the last thing I see is something about "web" (the nvidia web drivers I assume). I'm not sure what I can do for DVI? Should I keep attempting?

Anyway, I got interested in using the Displayport instead as my Samsung display has this. Sadly, it doesn't have HDMI. Is using DisplayPort feasible under macOS Sierra with Nvidia cards?

I have yet to apply the new Nvidia Clover tweak for Sierra, but I will try this. If I could get some orientation whether I'd be better off trying to get this to work with DisplayPort rather than DVI that would be really helpful. I see that some say only HDMI can work.

What's your experiences with Nvidia, Sierra and connecting via DVI or Displayport?

Last edited:
I use DisplayPort on my GTX 970 to a Dell monitor. Never had an issue with from 10.10.0 - 10.12.3.

DVI should work fine too, just make sure you have the right kind of DVI cable.

I use DisplayPort on my GTX 970 to a Dell monitor. Never had an issue with from 10.10.0 - 10.12.3.

DVI should work fine too, just make sure you have the right kind of DVI cable.

Thanks for sharing. Considering I had the DVI functioning with OS X 10.10 I already have the proper cable, no? Or is it likely the 980 puts other demands on the cable?

I'll try with DVI first just to get going, though Displayport seems more capable.

Thanks for sharing. Considering I had the DVI functioning with OS X 10.10 I already have the proper cable, no? Or is it likely the 980 puts other demands on the cable?

I'll try with DVI first just to get going, though Displayport seems more capable.

It's not about more demands, there are several different types of DVI ports and cables.

Later update:
It would seem my issues potentially is problem #4 here. I'll try the second option first.

Update: I have now applied the edit of the nvidia setting in the Clover config and the boot got a little longer with some more rows indicating the Web drivers did indeed load, before the display turns completely black (no cursor). I used the DVI cable I used for the Z97 board. I tried reinserting the display cable, but this didn't improve anything. The display start to circle between ports at this stage indicating there is no signal coming from the DVI. I wonder how I can affect what port is used?

I had to yank the power cables to the 980 in order to boot with the iGPU connected instead. If it has power there's just a number of smaller rectangles on a black background on the display.

I will try and see if connecting via HDMI to a Samsung TV can work. I'll also try to change the system definition to iMac 14,2. For some reason I choose the iMac 17,1, which potentially caused issue (see "later update" above).

Last edited:
Updated later:

So in MultiBeast I changed also the system profile to iMac 14,2 and it seemed as if I was using the legacy boot, which I didn't remember setting, so changed it to UEFI. I'm not sure if legacy boot meant it wasn't reading the Clover config?

I never applied any black screen edits as the above seemed serious enough.

Now boots fine with 980 over DVI! DisplayPort test will have to wait until I got cables. Cinema4D, while thinking my i5-4460 is duocore — maybe because it was running the CPU in Turbo? — gives me 88fps OpenGL. Let's see what this machine can do with the Steam version of SoM. Hoping for 60fps.

Big thank you to slim.jim for your suggestions! I'm very grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back