GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK (Clover)
CPU
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Guys - I had some time so I decided to run a few benchmarks with my three vid cards to see how they stack up to each other.

970_Luxmark.png970_Unigine.png770_Luxmark.png770_Unigine.png280X_Luxmark.png280X_Unigine.png

Bruce X benchmark:

770: 55 seconds
970: 61 seconds
280X: 31 seconds

Aside from the poor Bruce X score for my 970 I'm really loving that card. Only downside recently is the build number changing with the security updates so you have to wait a few days until Nvidia releases their latest web drive.

280X is really a nice card as well. Doesn't require any drivers which is a plus. You just have to install the Extra folder to EFI partition and you're pretty much set. Downside to this card is the noise! I don't have a case that's oriented to noise canceling so it was pretty crazy how loud it got towards the middle / end of the Unigine benchmark.

770 is still pretty decent card. Works natively which is nice so no drivers needed. I'm guessing it's that native support that allows it to better the 970 on Bruce X.

Bruce X means nothing for gaming. Are you using Final Cut Pro X a lot? I'm still surprised the GTX 970 does not do better on Bruce X...

Try the heaven benchmark in Windows with Open GL and DX11 vs OS X with the same settings and it gets depressing. I like OS X a lot but it is not a great gaming OS...

FCP X is heavily (and I mean really heavily) optimised for the AMD architecture, thats why the Bruce X benchmark is so good. Even an old 5770 reports good performance under FCP X.

FCP X can also take advantage of multiple identical AMD cards to move things along even faster. A pair of 5770's is dirt cheap and very, very fast. The 280X cards are faster still, a single 280X is about 90% of the speed of two 5770's, you can of course put dual 280x cards in for even more speed.

I have dual 280x cards and noise is NOT a problem at all. It sits in my attic and people sleep there without noticing the machines are on.

However the poster is correct in that OS X is not a fantastic gaming system. I have dual 280X cards for work purposes but for shooting things, Windows gets booted and I play BF4 there.

Bruce X means nothing for gaming. Are you using Final Cut Pro X a lot? I'm still surprised the GTX 970 does not do better on Bruce X...

Try the heaven benchmark in Windows with Open GL and DX11 vs OS X with the same settings and it gets depressing. I like OS X a lot but it is not a great gaming OS...

Yeah, for gaming I would definitely stick with the 970.

I was also surprised in the 970s score in relation to FCP X. Not so much that it got smoked by the AMD card which I expected, but that it also was significantly behind the 770.

FCP X is heavily (and I mean really heavily) optimised for the AMD architecture, thats why the Bruce X benchmark is so good. Even an old 5770 reports good performance under FCP X.

FCP X can also take advantage of multiple identical AMD cards to move things along even faster. A pair of 5770's is dirt cheap and very, very fast. The 280X cards are faster still, a single 280X is about 90% of the speed of two 5770's, you can of course put dual 280x cards in for even more speed.

I have dual 280x cards and noise is NOT a problem at all. It sits in my attic and people sleep there without noticing the machines are on.

However the poster is correct in that OS X is not a fantastic gaming system. I have dual 280X cards for work purposes but for shooting things, Windows gets booted and I play BF4 there.

Hi rwillet - I've followed a lot of your posts on the 280X and found them very informative. I'm going to leave the 280X in my secondary machine for a month or two to see what a longer term noise sample does. Just out of curiosity what case is your equipment enclosed in?

Thanks

Only just seen this post, so apologies for delay.

I use a Deep Silence 5 case which is light, easy to carry, small (ha ha ha)

Nah, its none of those. I do use a Deep Silence 5 case as I wanted something big, heavy, quiet and well built. I have a Coolermaster 690 II case (in fact two of them) and the Deep Silence 5 is miles better in every way, its way better built, its quieter, its slightly bigger so it takes the dual graphics cards and the Noctura CPU cooler easily. The disk mounting kit is far better and nice than the CM 690. It is heavy but in a solid well built way.

Of course it is twice the price but I don't regret it for a second.

The only downside is the on/off button is too bright, but some semi-black tape sorts that problem out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back