NVIDIA GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello world,

I've been running a successful 10.10.2 hack pro (the exact parts from the February buyer's guide except for a WiFi card and graphics card at the time) since February, but yesterday I installed a GTX 970 in my machine. Currently I'm using the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7-TH motherboard with an i7-4790k, and Crucial Ballistic Tactical Tracer RAM running at 2133MHz. I used Chimera/Unibeast/Chameleon for install and not Clover. Ive heard that using the system definition of iMac 14,2 would be the best for this but I've also tried using iMac 14,1 as well as Mac Pro 3,1 and 5,1.

The reason I wanted to update to 10.10.4 was to take advantage of the latest NVIDIA web drivers for my card. Updating was fine, and I managed to get everything back up and running in Multibeast. I followed so many guides online and through the help of the hackintosh subreddit and some very kind commenters I managed to get most of the way there.

I've managed to get the card working in Windows 8.1, and it's exceeded my wildest expectations so I know the port and all the cables are working just fine.

Back to :beachball:S X...

I've tried the following:

Installed web drivers with the iGPU on.
Disabled the iGPU and set primary screen in BIOS to the PCIE slot the 970 is in.
Rebooted using "nvda_drv=1".

This usually brings me to the Apple logo loading screen. When it gets to the halfway point the screen goes black and then disconnects without coming back on.

At that point, I usually boot with "nv_disable=1" and change my system definition to something that has worked for other people. Then I reboot trying to make the NVIDIA drivers active.

When I boot with "nv_disable=1" About This Mac shows the 970, though only with just under 3GB of VRAM and it's (understandably) laggy since it's not using the drivers.

I seem like I'm in an endless loop here and not sure where to go next. :banghead:

I need an ELI5-type walkthrough of this process, I'm sorry if that's a lot to ask but I've also looked through just about every guide I can find on this site, ******, and other sites.
I'll try to answer as many questions as I can about the build but I'm currently away from it for most of the day so I can't test anything directly yet.

Let me know if you can help! Ultimately if I have to reinstall using Clover or something I'm even warming up to the possibility of starting from scratch if it'll work better. Also if it helps, it's the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G.

Thanks so much!

Check your bios settings again. Make sure Intel VT-D is disabled.

I am running the same card and cpu as you without issues using Clover and an iMac14,2 profile.

I do have VT-d disabled but maybe the fact that I used Unibeast/Multibeast and you used Clover makes a difference? I'm going to try and install clover on an extra HDD tomorrow.

Look for info.plist file in

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/

Look for Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6 = Config1 , replace "Config1" to "none" I did it for any other "Config1" i found.

Run kext utility to refresh kext cache.

Cheers

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/

Look for Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6 = Config1 , replace "Config1" to "none" I did it for any other "Config1" i found.

Cheers

This is only needed for iMac15,1 and MacPro6,1.

To the OP, I don't think Clover vs Unibeast/Multibeast is the issue. The are lots of people running a 970/980 using Chimera. I don't have any personal experience though with that method as I prefer Clover.

Cheers

This just saved my bacon and GTX 970 (AKA Super Bacon) on 10.10.5. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back