Contribute
Register

GTX 970 now at parity with R9 280X in FCP X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, theres an R9 280 (non X) for sale cheap - will this be a good card?

Is the actual NVIDIA brand a good brand to go with for a GTX 970, or is EVGA or Gigabyte going to be a better card? I found a good deal on an NVIDIA brand 970 and was wondering what you all thought about that for a Hackintosh.

I bought the Nivida branded GTX 970 and swapped it out with my GT 740. Bruce X is now 25 seconds.

I bought a used 280x and tested - BruceX was 14 seconds compared to about 22 on the GTX 970

Hi, do you think that it is better to buy a Sapphire VAPOR-X R9 280X Tri-X STD - 3go or a GTX 970 G1 Gaming ? Taking the fact that I will do a lot of final cut pro x ( But maybe not only ) and that I prefer lose some seconds in bruceX and have something with less problems and that I will be able to keep a long time... ( than the opposite ).
(As there is sleep problems with AMD cards .. )

See that with the new drivers Nvidia cards are faster make me hesitate...
Thanks !

Last edited:
Hi, do you think that it is better to buy a Sapphire VAPOR-X R9 280X Tri-X STD - 3go or a GTX 970 G1 Gaming ? Taking the fact that I will do a lot of final cut pro x ( But maybe not only ) and that I prefer lose some seconds in bruceX and have something with less problems and that I will be able to keep a long time... ( than the opposite ).
(As there is sleep problems with AMD cards .. )

See that with the new drivers Nvidia cards are faster make me hesitate...
Thanks !

One big benefit with an Nvidia card is that Nvidia is always updating the drivers. Apple rarely updates the drivers for AMD cards so with every OS X update you don't know what the support will be like.

Since this is a relatively old thread, I wanted to ask . . . is this still the case that the GTX970 is at or near equal performance in FCP with the 280x? And would this apply to Sierra?

Yes the 970 is a great card, currently with creating and install a custom vBios file through windows(how to retain overclocking and Custom Fan Profile in MacOS), I have mine in my spare machine overclocked at 1788MHz on the core and none added to the Memory, it is a great card and with the current driver updates Overclocks like a dream. Overclocked it well passes the 280X.

Thanks. So this means I have to do the custom vBios file whatever that means, to get it working right? Is this tough to do or simple? And how do OS updates affect the card? I can worry about overclocking it later.

So the starter of this thread, emjay96, actually said his BruceX was 27 sec on 280x but only 23 sec on his 970. And referencing other early posters, Ainth was getting 19 sec on his a 980. But these results are over a year old now. "Justly" does 17 sec on a 280x etc.

So it looks like some people do better on 280x, others better on 970 or a little bit slower than the 280x, and the results do seems mostly in the same ballpark even if one card lags the other. This makes me think I would have a lower hassle experience with a 970 and still do well if I decide to edit in FCP. Maybe I should return the 280x I bought and just get a 970. It is more expensive though.

Yes the 970 is a great card, currently with creating and install a custom vBios file through windows(how to retain overclocking and Custom Fan Profile in MacOS), I have mine in my spare machine overclocked at 1788MHz on the core and none added to the Memory, it is a great card and with the current driver updates Overclocks like a dream. Overclocked it well passes the 280X.

Thanks. So this means I have to do the custom vBios file whatever that means, to get it working right? Is this tough to do or simple? And how do OS updates affect the card? I can worry about overclocking it later.

So the starter of this thread, emjay96, actually said his BruceX was 27 sec on 280x but only 23 sec on his 970. And referencing other early posters, Ainth was getting 19 sec on his a 980. But these results are over a year old now. "Justly" does 17 sec on a 280x etc.

So it looks like some people do better on 280x, others better on 970 or a little bit slower than the 280x, and the results do seems mostly in the same ballpark even if one card lags the other. This makes me think I would have a lower hassle experience with a 970 and still do well if I decide to edit in FCP. Maybe I should return the 280x I bought and just get a 970. It is more expensive though.

A 970 will work with the web drivers installed and activated. There is no need for a custom vbios as the other poster mentioned. If you buy a factory overclocked card then it is overclocked in macOS. Also no need for a custom fan profile unless you want to disable one of the best benefits of a 900 series card, semi passive cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back