Contribute
Register

GTX 970 now at parity with R9 280X in FCP X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 970 will work with the web drivers installed and activated. There is no need for a custom vbios as the other poster mentioned. If you buy a factory overclocked card then it is overclocked in macOS. Also no need for a custom fan profile unless you want to disable one of the best benefits of a 900 series card, semi passive cooling.
Thanks for your answer slim. A few questions . . .

1. Will any GTX 970 card work or should I only stick with those in the list on the Buyer's Guide?

2. Do I lose a lot of FCP performance if I do not buy an overclocked card? I'm doing an ITX case (Silverstone SG13) with fan cooling only so not sure what kind of heat issues an OC card would cause--any thoughts on that?

3. How easy is it to install the web drivers? Can you point me in the right direction?

4. Any suggestions on which GTX970 to buy today? For an ITX build and under 10.5"?

Thanks

Thanks for your answer slim. A few questions . . .

1. Will any GTX 970 card work or should I only stick with those in the list on the Buyer's Guide?

Most all of them are fine. I run a MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 and it works perfect.

2. Do I lose a lot of FCP performance if I do not buy an overclocked card? I'm doing an ITX case (Silverstone SG13) with fan cooling only so not sure what kind of heat issues an OC card would cause--any thoughts on that?

The difference will be minimal.

3. How easy is it to install the web drivers? Can you point me in the right direction?

Look at the sticky threads. You will find links and answers to the common troubleshooting questions.

4. Any suggestions on which GTX970 to buy today? For an ITX build and under 10.5"?

Not sure of any specific cards to point you towards for mini-ITX. The card I have is 10.6".

Last edited:
Are there any toughts on that maybe the 1060 now is better solution over the 970GTX due to lower TDP (120 vs 145), slower memory bus but more RAM memory and also much faster GPU and memory, but the same price.
Did anyone has tried to use that card on Sierra and FCPX?

Are there any toughts on that maybe the 1060 now is better solution over the 970GTX due to lower TDP (120 vs 145), slower memory bus but more RAM memory and also much faster GPU and memory, but the same price.
Did anyone has tried to use that card on Sierra and FCPX?

There is no point in testing a GTX 1060 as we do not have working macOS drivers for any of the nvidia 1000 series cards. It is a big topic over in the graphics section:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-1070.192399/

I have an Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB and I tried the Bruce X benchmark on my machine. The time I got was about 65 seconds. I unchecked "background rendering" & I'm pretty sure I did everything the instructions said. Other people seem to be getting less than half that time. Am I doing something wrong?

I'd certainly like to know. The point if this thread is parity, not 3x slower than 280x

Seemingly things have changed for the worse for the GTX 970 since I ran my test a year and a half ago (25 seconds). I ran the Bruce X test again last night and it was around 2 minutes.

I just bought a Sapphire RX 580 and Bruce X was 16 seconds.

I'll be selling the 970.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back