evga gtx 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello-

I fully realize that the gtx 970 is not truly supported in OSX, and it could be a long time, if ever, for official drivers to work properly.

That said...

Is it even possible in 10.10.1 for it to be usable?

Tried the Nvidia drivers but they say 10.10.1 is too new for it to install. I didn't even realize I had downloaded the "point one" update but I guess it was included with the installer I have.

The machine wouldn't boot at all, it caused a kernel panic. So I tried adding the bootflag nvdisable=1, and it boots, but to 1024x768 with really sporadic cursor movement and horrible stuttering with any kind of scrolling or window opening. Technically it runs, but not usable.

I am not looking for gaming or video editing performance, just a usable desktop. I do have the card installed for work under Windows though.

I would even be happy if I could boot to the integrated graphics under osx, and use the card in Windows, (2 cables and switching at the monitor would be fine) but I do not believe that is possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Try downloading and installing this driver.

The above is the latest web driver release from nvidia.

Once downloaded and installed make sure you actually switch from the native drivers (which you are on if your resolution is horrible and you are having the lag you described) to the web drivers. Once you have downloaded and installed the drivers linked above you will have to restart your computer. Once you are back in navigate to the Nvidia Driver Manager in System Preferences (first image, bottom left), open that and then make sure that the NVIDIA Web Driver is selected, not OS X Default Graphics Driver (second image).

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 1.49.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 1.50.03 AM.png

If you are unable to install the web drivers for some reason, try first installing the CUDA drivers from this link. I had experienced some weird issue with the installer not working before and for whatever reason installing the CUDA drivers first then allowed me to install the web drivers for the card. I don't think you'll experience that issue, but IF you do this may be a way to get past it.

And don't forget to check in: org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1</string>

I've just replaced my GTX680 with a GTX980 and it works like a charm with the latest nVidia driver under Yosemite 10.10.1.
No reason for your GTX970 to be an exception.

Thank you all muchly! Will be working on this today and I'll report back.

-----

EDIT:

Shazam! About 10 minutes later and I am back up in high-res, dual booting at SSD speed with zero bootflags!

THANK YOU!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back