Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
SONY VAIO E14 SVE14A390X
CPU
i7-3632QM/HM76
Graphics
HD 4000, HD 7670M
So let me preface this by saying that I believed I was having the same black screen boot problems others have been, and have just been incredibly unlucky in finding a solution. That may still be the case, but I've been troubleshooting and I think I might have a different problem that just seems like it's the prior.

Like many others with the Nvidia drivers, my boot sequence gets about half way, then the screen goes black, followed by "no input". Currently, I'm using a P7H55-m pro mobo, EVGA GTX 970, and an i5 Lynnfield CPU. Unlike most others have reported, this problem didn't start after I installed the drivers. I actually booted up and used my Mac perfectly fine for hours, watched some netflix, then suddenly the screen went black, and I've had these boot problems ever since. I saw many were having this problem, so I tried all the solutions I could find. I swapped sysdefs to multiple different ones: mac pro 3.1, 6.1 with the patch, iMac 14.2 and everything in between, but still have had no luck. I tried changing my system to read my GPU as GFX1 instead of 0, no success there either. I've tried uninstalling and resintalling, checking to see if I had Inject Nvidia on somewhere, and everything in between, still no luck. Of course, I can boot no problem with nv_disable=1.

However, today, I tried screen sharing from my other install after the screen goes to "No Input" and was able to access it. Looking under about this mac, I saw it was reading my card "GTX 970 4096mb" but my display was reading as "Built In Display". I tried rebooting with nv_disable=1 and saw that when I boot this way, it reads my TV as the display instead, which got me thinking. Is there something wrong with my HDMI port when using the Nvidia drivers? I only have a small SSDT using one of toleda's patches for HDMI audio from before, and no DSDT. Is there something I can do to regain this HDMI function if I'm correct? Thanks for any insight.

Have you tried disabling the IGP in your bios?

Have you tried disabling the IGP in your bios?
So far as I can tell, I don't have that option in my bios. My lynnfield CPU also doesn't have onboard graphics.

So far as I can tell, I don't have that option in my bios. My lynnfield CPU also doesn't have onboard graphics.

Oops sorry I glanced at the specs on the left. Can you post your config? Sometimes having the setting Fix_Display set to true can cause issues like this.

Oops sorry I glanced at the specs on the left. Can you post your config? Sometimes having the setting Fix_Display set to true can cause issues like this.

Sure, here's my Config.Plist, SSDT, and IOReg. Thanks.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    424.3 KB · Views: 114
So, after not being able to figure out a solution. I wiped my Harddrive and reinstalled fresh via Unibeast. However, after getting it all installed, and installing the Nvidia drivers and rebooting, I was met with the same black screen again. So this seems to remove a few possibilities. I suppose I can rule out kexts, since I installed nothing kext-wise since the fresh install. I can rule out my Config.plist since I'm using the one that Unibeast installs with. I have no DSDT currently, and the only SSDT I have is Toleda's HDMI patch. Any clues as to what might be causing this? I know it isn't my card, because it works fine in windows, and previously from 10.11 > 10.11.4 it worked perfectly with the Nvidia drivers.

So, to recap what I've done and the results.

I've tried everything in the book and available here and elsewhere that I could find for solutions, as listed above.
On top of this, I've reinstalled El Cap via unibeast, to the same results. I then decided to go back and reinstall 10.10.5 since I never had an issue with the web drivers until late el cap. However, I found that I had the black screen on boot when I tried that as well, which never happened before. So that led me to thinking it wasn't something in my config, kexts, or software. Next I checked my BIOS to make sure I hadn't somehow changed something in there and had it affect my OS X drive. From what I can tell, everything in my BIOS is consistent with what I was using/am supposed to use. Is the only remaining possibility a hardware one? Should I contact EVGA and request a replacement GPU? I should reiterate that I didn't start getting the black screen until after my OS X install went to a black screen and rebooted while watching netflix, which is slightly different than what others have reported.

The only other strange things I've noticed, via screenshare, is that instead of recognizing my TV via HDMI, it says it has a built in monitor, at a lower resolution than 1080p. In addition to this, when I check the status of the web driver, it shows OS X default driver as checked, even though it's technically booting (and confirmed by checking about this mac and seeing the GTX 970) with the nvidia drivers. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back