Contribute
Register

GTX 970 / GTX 980 are here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Just wondering what the state of things is on the 970 at this point. I am looking into it as 770s appear really hard to find and the 970 is just a better all-around card. Is it fully supported (with drivers)? Will OS X vanilla support come?

I have been trying to install Yosemite and Mavericks using the uni/multibeast drives that have worked for friends of mine. No matter what I do, the install always hangs about 1/4 of the way through at the initial symbol screen. Are there any other boot options i need to use at the initial drive selection screen to enable the installation? I've tried using 'GraphicsEnabler=1' and 'PCIRootUID=1' but those made no difference in the process.
I have a compatible build:
Asus Hero, 4790K, and Corsair DDR3

Everything has been set to default multipliers and settings, disabling secure boot mode, and CFG lock disabled.

The only issue i see here is the Asus 970 I'm using.

Can you help me out?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that 970/980 are not supported under Mavericks - only Yosemite.

I have my EVGA GTX 970 working with my X99 build. Needs boot flag: nv_disable=1 and npci=0x2000 to install Yosemite. Then once you get Y installed, download latest Web drivers. Once installed, need to add nvda_drv=1 to org.chameleon.boot.plist in Kernel Flags section - put a space after the existing boot flag & add the nvda_drv=1 on the same line.

Anybody wants to do a test with the GTX 970 and After Effects?

Please use this file and check if CUDA works and if the GPU is recognized.

http://www.teddygage.com/AEBENCHCS6/

Help would be appreciated!!

Aris

It doesn't work. So definitely confirmed issues with 3D Ray Tracing using CUDA. Appears to be no problem with Mercury Playback Engine though.

It doesn't work. So definitely confirmed issues with 3D Ray Tracing using CUDA. Appears to be no problem with Mercury Playback Engine though.

Thanks for testing! At least I know it's not my hardware!

Aris

Thanks Boom,

I got the rig up and running now but havent figured out how to access the [h=1]Org.chameleon.Boot.plist[/h]to add the graphics driver entry.
I dont want to mess anything up like so many have before me.
Is there a way you'd suggest I do this?

Sorry for my ignorance on this, this is my first time dealing with linux or mac.

Jesse

Thanks Boom,

I got the rig up and running now but havent figured out how to access the [h=1]Org.chameleon.Boot.plist[/h]to add the graphics driver entry.
I dont want to mess anything up like so many have before me.
Is there a way you'd suggest I do this?

Sorry for my ignorance on this, this is my first time dealing with linux or mac.

Jesse

You can use an app called Chameleon Wizard - Download

Good Luck

Thanks!
All help is greatly appreciated.

After opening the chameleon tab of the wizard, I see that the nvda_drv=1 option is already checked so I assume the entry is present in the current boot file and I do not need to alter it.

My only issue thus far has been in Apple mail but i assume that is a discussion for a different thread.

Thanks again,

Jesse

A new driver update was released today, for the 970 GTX.

Check the Nvidia driver preference panel! Still no working CUDA support, but may be some more stability.

Aris

A new driver update was released today, for the 970 GTX.

Check the Nvidia driver preference panel! Still no working CUDA support, but may be some more stability.

Aris

To quote myself: Rendering time in After Effects has improved significantly. Overall, much better performance so far.
But.. Still no CUDA support..

Very nice (except for the CUDA part). Going to check it out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back