Contribute
Register

GTX 970 / GTX 980 are here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to do another dual-boot build and I want to buy a fresh new 970. My monitor would be connected both via HDMI and DP to the HD4600 and GTX 970. Then I would set IGP as the primary video output in BIOS configuration and boot MacOS with it.

How MacOS would react to an unknown graphic card and vice versa (I think the 970 will just idle)?

Thanks.

It doesn't matter.. If the webdriver supports it the native support is not really necessary.

And that is the $64k question - Does the nVidia Driver support OS X?

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads is encouraging as it lists the GTX980 in the GeForce CUDA graphics cards. Drivers are included in the download, but says for OS X 10.8 and 10.9, so maybe we can get it to work in Mavericks.

Anybody already bought one and want to experiment a bit and report results?

I have one now and I am just waiting on support, if you guys need a tester I will be happy to help.

I will start downloading the driver tonight and then try switch over into OS X and install the driver. 1mb line isn't fast for downloading...

I have one now and I am just waiting on support, if you guys need a tester I will be happy to help.

I will start downloading the driver tonight and then try switch over into OS X and install the driver. 1mb line isn't fast for downloading...

Sorry for using you as a test subject, but I am eagerly awaiting your results. I am waiting to purchase it until after positive results. thanks for heading off into the great unknown.

I didn't try the CUDA kit. It's pretty clear to me that only Windows and Linux versions have GTX 9XX support. Just read the blue box in the download section and click through the link. There's no OS X version.

Also that netkas image is looking like a hoax to me. I downloaded the latest web driver from nvidia and could not install it on Yosemite. Pop-up window came up and said current version of web drivers cannot run on Yosemite.

As of now with 10.9.4 (Hadn't upgrade to 10.9.5) if you try boot with a 9XX series card you will get a Fatal error Chipset response from OS X. Sadly there most likely won't be support till 10.10 which is coming soon I hope :D

As soon as it is out I will Download it and start testing. Of course I will need to wait for Tony and this crew to update Unibeast and Multibeast.

If you boot with the IGP, do you encounter any issue related to the 980 being unsupported by OSX?

Yes, OS X will not boot if they card is installed. I could try something else, installing 10.9.5 and using the latest web drivers to test the card.

Too bad, I was planning to buy the 980 and only use the IGP on MacOS, waiting for upcoming support. Thanks for your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back