Contribute
Register

GTX 970 / GTX 980 are here

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you with GTX 960/70/80 cards. and G-Sync monitors, are you able to use G-sync under OS X?

On the PC side, drivers are required to enable G-Sync, and I'm wondering if nVidia bakes-in G-Sync capability into the Web Drivers for OS X for their 9 series cards.

So, I noticed the Gigabyte 970 that's listed on the buying guide is 40 bucks more than other GTX 970 GPUs from other great brands.

Can someone break down for me exactly what type of problems I might run into if I just buy the cheapest MSI Gaming 970 out there?

What are the functional differences between getting the MSI, Zotac or Gigabyte graphic units when it comes down to making the alternate driver work with my current hackintosh rig? Does brand matter at all?

Thanks!

Still out of luck for GTX 980 support then.
I have been trying to get this working ever since I got my new rig in November, which was bought partially for getting Yosemite onto it, and off my old iMac which is quite slow now.

Success at last. I now have the Asrock X99M Killer booting with Clover and the GTX980.
All 3 DP ports and the HDMI port work. With 4 displays connected, the 4k UP2414Q display works at only 1080P, same as the other displays.
Oddly enough, the HDMI port does not show up in System Profiler, only the 3 DP displays.View attachment 120709

With only the 4K display connected, I can get max res of 3008x1692@30Hz.
Text is sharp, but a bit too small for my eyes to comfortably read with the display 24"-30" away (my normal distance). 2560x1440@30Hz is a much more comfortable res for normal working conditions.
View attachment 120711View attachment 120710

How did you get your GTX980 correctly recognised and working?? (mines only showing as 24MB and is making everything really SLOW)

Still out of luck for GTX 980 support then.
I have been trying to get this working ever since I got my new rig in November, which was bought partially for getting Yosemite onto it, and off my old iMac which is quite slow now.

How did you get your GTX980 correctly recognised and working?? (mines only showing as 24MB and is making everything really SLOW)

I'm not sure what is going on with your guys' builds or if you are having an issue getting it to work with a specific hardware configuration. I have the Gigabyte GTX 980 and it was a fairly simple process. Installed the card, installed the nvidia graphics, booted with nv_disable=1 and done, everything simply worked. Even shows as "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4095 MB" in About This Mac.

You need -x nv_disable to install if your CPU does not have internal gfx like mine. Once installed still need flags until you download the nVidia web drivers and CUDA drivers. Once those are loaded go to preferences and choose the web drivers with the nVidia control panel. Reboot.

If you have internal gfx, install OS X, shutdown, install card, boot with internal gfx, install web drivers, use nVidia control panel to switch to nVidia drivers, reboot and set BIOS First init display to PCIe and swap your cable from the board to the GPU connector.

Im slowly chipping away at the issue getting closer to fixing it. At first I couldn't install the web drivers cause the OS wasn't compatible. So I download the security updates and im now able to install web drivers I restart to finish installation with my HDMI in the gtx 970 and the bios set to pcie 1 and igfx disabled. Use boot flags nv_disable=1 and -x and I can boot up everytime. About this Mac says im using 7mb and it means vram.

Well ill now im stuck. I goto preferences to goto Nvidia driver manager and it says "Unable to open the nvidia driver manager. Please try to reinstall the nvidia web driver package from the nvidia website"

what at should I do now?

Im slowly chipping away at the issue getting closer to fixing it. At first I couldn't install the web drivers cause the OS wasn't compatible. So I download the security updates and im now able to install web drivers I restart to finish installation with my HDMI in the gtx 970 and the bios set to pcie 1 and igfx disabled. Use boot flags nv_disable=1 and -x and I can boot up everytime. About this Mac says im using 7mb and it means vram.

Well ill now im stuck. I goto preferences to goto Nvidia driver manager and it says "Unable to open the nvidia driver manager. Please try to reinstall the nvidia web driver package from the nvidia website"

what at should I do now?

what it said - download the nVidia web package and re-install it.

Gigabyte GTX 980 Gaming G1 + Asus P9 x79-E WS not working... (yet!)

Hey folks,

I am trying to install a Gigabyte GTX 980 Gaming on a Asus P9 x79-E WS motherboard to replace an ATI Radeon 6870 without success. I’ve tested a dozen different things, always coming from a fresh install of Yosemite 10.10.2 and the result was the frustrating dark screen / slow fans just when in a normal boot sequence the apple logo disappears (about 1/3 of the progress bar) and the system switches to the high resolution mode preparing for the login screen. Going to a more alternative motherboard seems to have been my original mistake. If anyone happens to have some experience with that, any help is appreciated.

Since details matter a lot, let me share them with you:

In order to upgrade the graphics card, I tried the same strategy of my first build described below:

• Keep it simple – motherboard + graphics card only, all onboard “extra” features disabled (sound, firewire, USB3, Marvell SATA, etc.), and once it is stable, start turning on step-by-step the other features…
  • I tried first with the old ATI, installed nVidia webdrivers and booted with nvda_drv=1 after swapping the cards
  • I tried same thing with CUDA first, then nVidia webdrives
  • I tried Mac Pro 3,1 (original method was 5,1)
  • I tried to install with nVidia only, booting with nv_disable = 1, and then later enabling it with nvda_drv=1 (and for the sake of testing everything, nvda_drv=0 too).
  • Tried different Bios settings – disabling CSM (it does not even get to Bios screen), changing PCI to 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] generation (once again, just for the sake of completeness)...
  • In all cases that I got to Clover initial screen, it has been always possible to boot and make adjustments with nv_disable=1 (it flickers a lot and it is quite slow, but for tweaking config files is ok).
  • Graphics card works flawlessly on Win 7 in the same machine (booting from another HD), although I was unable to flash a newer Nvidia Bios (v. F42), but I still need to investigate why (looks like a corrupted ZIP file, there are complaints on Gigabyte forum).

The two things that I haven’t tested were (1) use an older version of Yosemite (or of the webdriver) and (2) try to make the two boards work side by side (I think that my 850W PSU supports it, at least for a non-stress situation), but I need to get more cables. In all cases, I needed to install a security patch as per the webdriver request, which seems to be a non-issue, but we never know… I also don’t have another display nearby to test HDMI or DVI, unfortunately.

My original build:
Based on Shilohh Golden Build below, with due credits and congratulations!

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...-iv-extreme-32gb-ram-gtx-770-4gb-success.html

• Asus P9 X79-E WS motherboard (BIOS v. 1602, the latest)
  • i7 4930K / 32Gb RAM
  • XFX ATI Radeon 6870
  • Booting on Clover (added extra flag PCIRootUID=0, needed for booting)
  • x79-E WS SSDT obtained from another website / SSDT-1 customized following Shilohh instructions
  • Apple LED Cinema Display (using one of mDP ports)
  • HDMI worked perfectly for a second screen, but never got to install the sound kexts (as sound worked perfectly from mDP)
  • All USBs (inc. USB 3), ethernet and Marvell SATA were working well. I don’t know about the firewire or the serial onboard interface (both were recognized by OS X, but not tested).
  • Upgraded with this configs all the way from Mavericks to Yosemite 10.10.2 until now.

PS: Once again, congrats and many thanks to Shilohh for the inspiring golden build that introduced me to the hackintosh world. Excellent job.

PS2: Will post my build with the proper details to those who might be interested.

Last edited:
I was able to figure out what I needed to do. Changed my multibeast settings to Mac pro 3.1 then booted without nv_disable=1 and used nvda_drv=1 and I was able to change to web drivers.

Unfortunatly when I did this I was longer able to see my cpu temps. So I went into multibeast and changed it to Mac pro 5.1 and checked Generate CPU States. One of those kexts messed up my OS. Sooo anytime I boot on my ssd Yosemite drive it immediatly restarts the computer. If I do -x -f -s or any combo of flags it just won't boot. -v on Intel graphics indicates some nullcpu power managemrnt thing and if im on my gpu graphics it will stop at I think bluetooth something.

The only thing I can do is while on GPU graphics with the usb plugged in using the flags nv_disable=1 and -x I can get into the installer.

Ive done some searching around and for my problem looks like the only way to fix it is to boot in -s and delete the kext files and the cache which I can't do.
would the usb installer terminal be able to do anything. For tonight im going to install Yosemite again on a blank ssd.
If I have to start all over again and the other drive can't be fixed I'll just have to learn from my mistakes and know to always backup my OS and once I get something working to leave it how it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back