Contribute
Register

GTX 970 / GTX 980 are here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any news regarding CUDA for these cards? I'm quite interested in picking one of these up for a planned 10.10 build.:D

Hello guys, Im going to set up my first dual boot hackintosh for xcode and windows for gaming.
Id like to take gtx 970, but I dont want to be in situation, where after purchase it wont work. So my second choice is gtx 770, which as far as i know is no problem to set up. Ill also have a hd 4600 with my intel processor, so maybe there is a chance to run hackintosh on integrated gpu?? What do you suggest? Ill be using osx only for xcode, but are there big problems with gtx 970? So far i've read many posts from people who advice buying it, and from people who say nothing works properly.

I think I got mines working now through HDMI. I'm able to restart and boot from shut down into 10.10 with no issues at the Apple logo screen. My problem may have been with it booting a DSDT that I pasted over from my Mountain Lion drive that allowed me to have HDMI sound via HD4000 in Yosemite.

I recently got to work 3840*2160 @ 60Hz by switching to a iMac 12.2 profile with clover. It seems like the Mac Pro 3.1 profile I used before simply does not support Retina Resolutions at more than 30Hz. Amazingly, Gaming Performance with my 970 improved with that, I get better Framerates at that ridiculous resolution in WoW now than at 1920*1200 in OSX before. Who would've guessed? :D

Only problem now: I'm booting into a black screen until I physically remove and reinsert the DP cable, probably because OSX seems to bet on a internal display with that profile. Anybody know a hack around that? Maybe switching to a Mac Pro Profile? I kinda don't wanna try blindly and also don't wanna lose 60Hz at this point. Anybody faced the same problem yet?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 12.22.35.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 12.22.35.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 389
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 10.30.43.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 10.30.43.png
    280.1 KB · Views: 307
Right now I'm using Mavericks as my main OS with my HD 6850 as my main card. I have an MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G that is disabled with nv_disable=1. The fans on it don't spin up or anything, and it uses hardly any power when it's not used, so there's basically no drawbacks for me using this configuration other than less room in the case. When I need to game in Windows, I just wait until I get to the Clover screen, select the Windows drive, switch to the other inputs on my monitors, and then press enter. I have the 6850 disabled in device manager in Windows.

I did some testing in Yosemite - I don't have all the right cables I need right now to test all my monitors at once, but from what I can tell so far:
-As expected, HDMI is not working. Hopefully Nvidia will fix this, or we may need to wait until a Mac with HDMI 2.0 is released.
-All 3 Display Ports seem to be working, although I haven't tried them all at once because of lack of DP cables/adapters.
-Haven't tested DVI yet, but I'm confident it will work.
-Have not tested whether audio works via DP->HDMI or DVI->HDMI.

It seems like if you want a 9xx card, having one with 3 display ports such as the reference-based GTX 980s (i.e. not the Asus Strix) or the Gigabyte GTX 970s is crucial if you want to use multiple displays.

I kind of want to see if I can get this working in Mavericks by installing the Apple Yosemite kexts, graphics frameworks, IOGraphicsFamily, and the Web Drivers... Or something like that. I doubt it will work but I want to give it a try just for the hell of it.

This is with the f01 drivers BTW, I haven't tested f02 or f03 yet.

I will do some more testing when I have more cables and adapters.

Edit for clarification: I have nv_disable=1 set it my config.plist so it doesn't kernel panic on boot in Mavericks. When was testing Yosemite, I just manually changed nv_disable=1 to nvda_drv=1 and added kext-dev-mode=1 at the Clover menu.

Would i have a problem with the gtx 970 in a xeon 1231 v3 system? It wouldn`t have an integrated Intel HD video card and i wouldn`t be able to install the nvidia graphic drivers, because i have to unplug the video card (so the whole system would not work).
Am i wrong?

Would i have a problem with the gtx 970 in a xeon 1231 v3 system? It wouldn`t have an integrated Intel HD video card and i wouldn`t be able to install the nvidia graphic drivers, because i have to unplug the video card (so the whole system would not work).
Am i wrong?

I didn't use my integrate graphics or any other card to install, I just had to boot with nv_disable=1. Also you need to use MacPro3,1 SMBios for the driver installation, then you can change it to whatever you want to use after that (there are ways around that, but that's the easiest method IMO).

So I'm planning my dual boot system based on the Customac Pro specs. Probably i7, with the
GA-Z97X-UD7-TH.

I know its best used with a 760 or 770, but if I get a GTX970 do I just need the drivers that everyone is using to get it to run in OSX partition? Do I also need to change the power supply for the 970 or will the 650w be ample?

Also, I've heard that FCPX doesn't like Nvidia cards on Hacks. Is anyone regularly using FCPX with Nvidia graphic cards enabled, and is it stable?

So I'm planning my dual boot system based on the Customac Pro specs. Probably i7, with the
GA-Z97X-UD7-TH.

I know its best used with a 760 or 770, but if I get a GTX970 do I just need the drivers that everyone is using to get it to run in OSX partition? Do I also need to change the power supply for the 970 or will the 650w be ample?

Also, I've heard that FCPX doesn't like Nvidia cards on Hacks. Is anyone regularly using FCPX with Nvidia graphic cards enabled, and is it stable?

Yes, you just need the drivers here. Keep in mind that on many cards the HDMI port won't work, and maybe DVI. The Gigabyte Gaming G1 has 5 ports and I think most of them are working. So keep those things in mind if you are going to be using multiple displays. 650W PSU will be more than enough.

I'm not sure about FCPX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back