Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm in need of a "blower-style" graphics card because of the cooling methods for my case (this type of card blows all the air out the exhaust in the slots). I don't really need a super powerful graphics card but the cheapest one I could find in the buyer's guide was the EVGA GTX 970. That is a bit over-budget and too powerful for my needs.

I've been able to find a few GTX 960 GPUs in a blower-style design which are closer to my budget but are they compatible with a hackintosh?

61kme+g81eL._SL1000_.jpg

MSI GTX 960 - Blower Style card
PNY GTX 960 - Blower Style Card

Will any of these work OOB or after installing the nVidia Web Drivers? Does anyone have any experience with either of these cards? Recommend any?

Either one of those should work with the proper web drivers installed.

I just bought the Gigabyte GTX 960 (4gb gaming edition), and it's working in Yosemite but my Cinebench scores are only 38fps. I was getting more than 42fps with my old AMD Radeon HD 6870. Any thoughts?

Also, I was wondering if there is a way to make this card work in Mountain Lion 10.8.5. I've installed the web drivers, but the system hangs at boot. I get an "unknown chipset" error.

Thank you.

My build:
ASUS p8z68-v lx mobo
Gigabyte GTX 960 (4gb)
16g ram
7200rpm Seagate boot drive

Nope, Maxwell needs Yosemite or El Capitan.

Cinebench is useless, benchmark scores are not meaningful at all.
(Technical reason: Even the Cinebench GPU benchmark is CPU-limited on almost every machine. Nvidia drivers usually have a slightly higher CPU overhead, so AMD will perform better. Obviously this only applies to this benchmark, not gaming).

Nope, Maxwell needs Yosemite or El Capitan.

Cinebench is useless, benchmark scores are not meaningful at all.
(Technical reason: Even the Cinebench GPU benchmark is CPU-limited on almost every machine. Nvidia drivers usually have a slightly higher CPU overhead, so AMD will perform better. Obviously this only applies to this benchmark, not gaming).

Thanks for the info. Very useful. I see what you mean by the Cinebench GPU benchmark. But I was still expecting to get better frame rates with this card as opposed to the old Radeon HD. It is supposed to be a far better card in every way, except the memory bit which is 128 bit as opposed to 256. I just hope I didn't spend $200 on a card that won't give me a better performance than my old Radeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back