Contribute
Register

GTX 780 Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own an actual Mac Pro not a hackintosh (if it makes any difference) with the 10.8.4 Drivers is OpenCL working with a 780? Considering adding one in addition to my 5870 (Any issue running ATI and Nvidia at the same time) would use Nvidia to power my main Monitor and 5870 for my secondary monitor.

Just wondering if as rank rotten said "works perfectly" means OpenCL and OpenGL function completely.

Thanks

Also I know this is a 780 thread but does the Titan work as well? (Considering it is the same architecture as a 780)

Thanks in advance guys!

I own an actual Mac Pro not a hackintosh (if it makes any difference) with the 10.8.4 Drivers is OpenCL working with a 780? Considering adding one in addition to my 5870 (Any issue running ATI and Nvidia at the same time) would use Nvidia to power my main Monitor and 5870 for my secondary monitor.

Just wondering if as rank rotten said "works perfectly" means OpenCL and OpenGL function completely.

Thanks

Also I know this is a 780 thread but does the Titan work as well? (Considering it is the same architecture as a 780)

Thanks in advance guys!

Well… no!
The 5870 is already using all extra power cables. Also the 780 needs one 6-Pin and one 8-Pin power connector. The MacPro is only offering two 6-Pin!

Well… no!
The 5870 is already using all extra power cables. Also the 780 needs one 6-Pin and one 8-Pin power connector. The MacPro is only offering two 6-Pin!

Meant from a software standpoint not a hardware one ... already very well aware that I would require a 2nd Power Supply.

So can anyone answer my previous question, does 10.8.4 let OpenCL and OpenGL work correctly on a Titan and 780 under OSX?

Or is OpenCL still an issue?

Thanks

Well with the overwhelmingly amount of evidence i see here i guess the 780 must work with the stock 10.8.4 nvidia drivers just fine. Now it boggles me why it would't like my desktop. I guess i just might not worry about getting one till 10.9 comes out and i would do a fresh install again. :banghead:

Hey Guys!

I have just done a clean install of ML on my new Hackintosh (See the specs in my profile) and i dont get the GTX780 to work in it. Its a EVGA GTX 780SC (Its the EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC w/ ACX Cooler (03G-P4-2784-KR). I never had any nvidia driver installed on this machine, since i have just installed OSX 10.8.4 on it.

here my boot plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x3000 darkwake=0 PCIRootUID=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

If i have only the gtx780 mounted in the machine, the GraphicsEnaber=No doesnt work...i only get a black screen and thats it.
If I mount the Asus 210 i can only get into OSX if GraphicsEnaber=Yes

As soon as i build in both cards i only get into OSX with GraphicsEnaber==Yes, BUT the system recognises the gtx 780 .... here some screen shots from the system information app:

did i miss something? Any tips or ideas are very much appreciated! Thanks you very much! Does anybody know if openCL works? Or how to get it to work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep thats standard behavior on 10.8.5. It should work just fine. I found that if you install the nvidia web driver it will fix the name of it but it will also garble some html5 video on the internet so that got annoying enough that i don't use the web driver anymore.

I've installed the web driver and the driver works fine

Hey guys..news for CUDA under Maverick? I am not able to use my GTX 780 on CUDA After Effects...

Thanks

Hey guys..news for CUDA under Maverick? I am not able to use my GTX 780 on CUDA After Effects...

Thanks
You might have better luck on getting a fixed CUDA driver for running AE, than the OpenCL path. I'd speculate that NVidia might be a while (or never) to enable the GTX-780 (with 3GB memory) for OpenCL.

Below are my gained wisdoms with attempting OpenCL on GTX 780 with 10.8.5 (ML).

GTX 780 has problems with all OpenCL code (applications), such as:
Adobe Premiere
Adobe After Effects
Apple's Remote Desktop Client (or any ARD service version ...experienced 3.7 and 3.7.1 crashes)
Luxmark
etc, etc,

Apple is moving, more and more, to leveraging GPU 'compute' capabilities in their own distributed applications (including those distrib with OS X). I'm running 10.8.5, but apparently many forum postings show the same problem with GTX 780 (and Titans) when running on 10.9, 10.9.1 (Mavericks).

Both, the NVidia Web drivers, and the native NVidia OS X drivers, exhibit the problem. As I read on many forums, repeating the above, "Apple moving, more and more" of their applications code to leveraging the OpenCL, then apparently, it is even more a frustrating user experience to run the GTX 780 (or Titan) cards on 10.9 or 10.9.1, because more of the OS included applications are crashing everytime they attempt OpenCL functionality.

That's not "so" frustrating for me on 10.8.5 (ML), because I'm still able to use FCP for video editing, however it is pretty frustrating not to be able to Apple Remote Desktop (into) this machine with GTX 780. The logs just fill with the OpenCL crash reports, and while it looks like a remote session get's logged in, you never actually see the screen. Because several more remote desktop applications use the same ARD services (Apple Remote Desktop), for the remote video frame buffer capability, those applications don't work either...they also indicate successful login...but you never see the screen of machine with the GTX 780. "Remoter" and "iTeleport" are just a couple that I've tested and don't work (but again, only because ARD doesn't work on GTX 780.

Hopefully someone, smarter than I, will figure out how to hack the "libclh.dylib" or the "libGPUSupport.dylib" libraries to re-enable the OpenCL support for the GTX 780 (and Titans). From all the crash logs examined, the crash always occur's in the beginning of setting up an OpenCL compute session where:
clCreateCommandQueueu() --> gldCreateQueue() --> clhCtxCreate() --> CRASH tries to execute at null pointer (v-addr=0)

code ownership likely goes like this, for those 3 functions:

com.apple.opencl -> NVidia -> NVidia -> crash

(yes...the NVidia part assumes that even OS X native NVidia drivers weren't written by Apple...just bundled (maybe built by Apple...but doubtful....GPU vendors guard their secrets very closely).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back