Contribute
Register

GTX 780 Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
however, I haven't tried anything that would call OpenCL.. and certain things like opening Safari and browsing a site looks a little strange.

But if you absolutely need to be able to see your desktop then boot Mavericks with flag:

nv_disable=1

It's not perfect but it's better than a black screen

Hi reconalpha, i've had an idea that might help you with this... it may well be wrong but it's worth a shot.

Now, from what I understand the latest version of multibeast sets graphicsenabler=no and igpenabler=yes which means that both the discrete and integrated graphics are enabled in the case of 7xx cards. I'm planning on getting a 780ti myself soon and hence i'm currently running with integrated graphics only... and everything works fine.

So here's my thought. Since integrated graphics works fine, and you have both integrated and discrete running then it's my suspicion that the opencl stuff is defaulting to running on the discrete card. So I was thinking that as a test, it would be interesting to see if you can disable the discrete card from being used in the system preferences under energy/power saving. It's my suspicion that this would force the opencl stuff to be computed on the integrated graphics, thereby getting rid of the rendering issues you're seeing due to the stuff normally rendered on it being disabled due to using nv_disable=1.

I'd be curious to know if this helps at all... it would make sense as all gpu'ish behaviour would be forced onto the integrated card, thereby mitigating any issues caused by the currently unsupported 780ti/GK110B cards.

At any rate, if your plans are anything like mine then this might allow a working osx desktop with a working windows gaming dual boot.

Of course, I could be talking a load of rubbish too. :crazy:

Worth testing out though.

Hey ic80, In my particular case.. I have an ASUS P8P67 and i7 2600k (Second generation Intel), what this means is if I want to be able to utilize the integrated graphics on the processor I would have had to buy an H67 motherboard rather than a P67, my decision back then was since I wanted to buy a discrete graphics card, I might as well get a P67 board. Basically, the only graphics ability I have is with my 780 Ti, before this card I had a Radeon HD 6870. I do plan on upgrading to Haswell and a new motherboard sometime in January, but unfortunately I'm not able to test integrated graphics as of this moment.

I'm sure your post will help others who have the ability to run integrated graphics or discrete, and if no one has said anything by February I will definitely test this out. The way I had my PC set up before was triple booting OS. I had Windows 8 on SSD for gaming, OS X on SSD as my main system, and Ubuntu desktop on a third legacy sata harddrive. What I'm most excited for is running a quad boot system since SteamOS is set to release on Saturday. SteamOS is technically linux anyway but not having my 780 Ti working with OS X feels like I have an incomplete mess of a computer. I'm checking Nvidia's driver page everyday but there's nothing yet unfortunately.

Edit: I found this link, if someone knows what this actually does please post your findings:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-5.5.28-driver.html

I can confirm that ReconAlphas nv_disable=1 does let you boot into OS X 10.8.4. Unfortunately it does work exactly like he described. Quicktime videos play, but Pages, Keynote, and Numbers do not show the contents of files, so productivity work will be confined to my iPad for the near future (this is the main stuff I do in OS X, make PPT files on the Hackintosh, then present them via my iPad on a big screen TV, it's great for teaching classes at work). Safari and google chrome also seem funky, mainly due to flash content causing everything to slow down.

I tried ic80s idea about disabling my dedicated GPU (the 780Ti, but my Z77X-UD5H doesn't seem to have a setting for that, if there is one let me know). I tried just setting the boot to default to the 3770k iGP HD4000, but it hangs at the spinning wheel at the load screen.

If anyone else has an idea let me know.

Also if you are in the Las Vegas area and want to trade a brand new EVGA GTX 780Ti for your GTX Titan, let know, I will trade you!

I tried ic80s idea about disabling my dedicated GPU (the 780Ti, but my Z77X-UD5H doesn't seem to have a setting for that, if there is one let me know).

Hi valkeriefire,

What I had in mind was something along the lines of what is referenced in this thread:

http://superuser.com/questions/467524/mac-keeps-switching-to-second-graphics-card

So either of:

1. Possibly disabling discrete graphics in the System Preferences > Energy Saver section if this is actually possible
  2. Or, using the gfxCardStatus app to force integrated graphics only. As shown in the app menu screenshot below

xOBAn.png

gfxCardStatus app can be downloaded from http://gfx.io/

I'd happily test this myself but i've not managed to get the cash together for a 780ti yet. Definitely working hard on that though :p

So it also looks like that in Mountain Lion, oh well so much for downgrading.

Polite Notice.

Rules

• Prerelease Software or Developer Builds are covered by NDA and therefore there cannot be any discussion of features included or removed within said software. The NDA also prohibits the distribution of any component contained within these releases. There will be no discussion of installing, help with installing or documenting the use of this type of software. Repeated violations of this rule will result in a permanent ban.

I threw in the towel on the Ti, I've put it for sale on craigslist and another forum. I picked up two GTX Titan for a great deal on ebay. The Titans are both RevA and their 6Gb of VRAM should last me a long time. One would have been enough for 2560x1440 gaming, but they were so cheap I couldn't say no.

With my luck though, this whole 780Ti business will get fixed as soon as I take delivery of the Titans.

Did I miss something? The 780Ti is now showing in the buyers guide, but I can't find actually proof that it works. If someone knows that it is going to be supported in 10.9.2 or something, send me a PM. I know 10.9.2 will include "graphics drivers", but that may or may not include the Ti.

As for now, why is the Ti showing up in the buyers guide?

Did I miss something? The 780Ti is now showing in the buyers guide, but I can't find actually proof that it works. If someone knows that it is going to be supported in 10.9.2 or something, send me a PM. I know 10.9.2 will include "graphics drivers", but that may or may not include the Ti.

As for now, why is the Ti showing up in the buyers guide?

There's a clause above the gk110 cards that states:

These solutions are supported natively, yet each has certain issues that prevent them from being fully recommended. Use at your own risk. NOTE: OpenCL is not functional using GK110B-based GTX 780, 780 Ti and GTX TITAN GPU models in 10.9. There is no ETA for a fix.

:thumbup:

This whole thing with the 780Ti is unfortunate. The new Mac Pro switched back to ATi and thus neither Apple nor NVIDIA have the incentive to make a new driver for the GK110b.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back