Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem. I've completed my hackintosh build buying recommend parts off the list. I built the machine without buying a graphics card first, to validate that all the other parts don't have compatibility/defect issues. So far so good. I took a risk and bought the EVGA GTX 780 3gb graphics card. I did quite a bit of research and saw that it wasn't recommended due to various little problems with the GK110B stuff. (I don't fully understand the technicalities of these problems but I was aware). I'm running a multi monitor work station. Off of just the mother board I was able to run 2 monitors no problem and every application was working fine. I went ahead and purchased the GTX 780 and now I am running three monitors off of it. (1 HDMI, and 2 DVI connected monitiros). Everything boots up just fine with the 780, all monitors are detected and all is well. I then play a few games to test it and run Cinnabench to test for stability and everything is stable so far.

*The Problem

I'm working on an app in Xcode and suddenly when switching to my assistant editor view when suddenly Xcode crashes. I re-open and try again only to find that every time it crashes when opening the assistant editor. The error message was an invalid kernel access error every time when Xcode would crash. To verify if this was the card or something else, I removed the card and connected my monitors back to the motherboard and booted up as I did before purchasing the 780. I tried opening the assistant editor in Xcode again and everything worked fine. I put the GTX 780 back in and tried again, and the Xcode crashes were still happening.

I did not install any Nvidia drivers for this card and I have GraphicsEnabler=No in my MultiBeast settings. I've googled around and found threads where other people were seeing applications misbehave with the GTX 780 potentially being the problem.

*The Question

Are there any drivers I should download or settings I should set to alleviate any problems with this card? Unfortunately I can't get a cash refund for this card since I bought it at TigerDirect and my next best thing would be to trade it in for a GTX770 and keeps some store credit but I'd like to exhaust all options before having to do this because I really like this card.

*Build Information and Installation Information

When installing Mavericks with Unibeast, the GTX 780 was not present during the installation. I'm not sure if this would make a difference in one way or the other in terms of osx applications misbehaving.

Hardware:
Haswell 4770k i7
Gigabyte Z87-UD3H
Corasir TX850M PSU
EVGA GTX 780 3gb
Corasir Vengenace LP 16GB Ram
Seagate Barracudea 7200.12 500 GB Harddrive
*All parts were purchased from tonymacx86
If anyone could offer any help or advice on how to approach this I would really appreciate it. I'm going to reinstall Xcode and see if that fixes the problem. I will post any solution I find on my own for anyone else who may be having this problem too.

*Update,

For anyone interested, the crash error code I am getting from Xcode is

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

VM Regions Near 0:
-->
__TEXT 00000001010c2000-00000001010c3000 [ 4K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/MacOS/Xcode

Application Specific Information:
ProductBuildVersion: 5A3005

* I also, copied the Xcode project to my MacBook and opened it there with no problem. Assistant editor was working fine too. This definitely feels like a GTX780 problem.

*Also, reinstalling Xcode did not fix the problem either.

I have a hardware setup similar to yours.

• My Quick Look using Spacebar does´t work for images - only music, movies (not .mov unless converted), PDFs and text files.

• My Quicklook / image viewer crashes every single time I try to open an image of any kind.

I read this on another forum about the GTX 780:
"He said that because normally, with iLife and iWork, if your GPU doesn't have full QE/CI, the programs will crash similarly to this."

I don´t know what "full QE/CI" means, but I´m trying to find out.

At any rate, I haven´t seen my particular issue described anywhere yet - so maybe it´s the combination of Hackintosh + GTX780 + OSX 10.9

Does this help?
And if you have any clue about the QE/CI please tell me.

Thank you for the reply and the link. In response to your previous post, I'm afraid I have no knowledge on full QE/CI but if I discover anything I'll be sure to post what I find. I've personally never used Quick Look on my hack so I'm unfamiliar of any problems that may exist with it and the 780.

*In regards to the 780, I was never able to find a fix and I ultimately exchanged it for a gtx 770.

Here is the link for the 770 I purchased,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CNiM0fSsi7wCFaHm7AodpHEAiQ&Item=N82E16814130939&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Desktop+Graphics+Cards-_-N82E16814130939&ef_id=UtxaJwAAAX@v5RES:20140119230511:s

In case the link breaks, its the gtx 770 EVGA 2gb edition reference card. I think it's the same card as the ones on the recommended card list with just a different outer casing. I can confirm that it is working great for me and I have been having absolutely no problems with it yet for games and Xcode and osx applications.

I'm still bummed I couldn't get the 780 to work flawlessly but I'm very satisfied with the 770.

*It is also the first time I was able to run a triple monitor setup on osx using the build in dvi and hdmi adapters in the 770.

*In my Multibeast file I do not have GraphicesEnabler=Yes checked. It is off as far as I know. (I did read somewhere in the link you sent me that someone was having gtx 770 problems).

If I find out anymore on gtx 780 fixes, I'll be sure to post them.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back