Contribute
Register

GTX 780 crashes Premiere Pro CC

Status
Not open for further replies.
While you might be correct about this, there is a good chance there is not and will never be a rev B for TITAN. TITAN uses it's own stack/release of the GK110 with better FP64 support and a number of cores enabled that is different than any other version of the chip. It is a fairly low volume part and there simply may never be a B rev done to it. Unless we hear of any reports of someone getting a rev B TITAN, it is the safest card to get right now if you need OpenCL support and want GK110 performance.
g\

It's only a matter of time until the Titan ends up with a GK110B as its GPU. As best can be determined, GK110A production has ceased and only GK110B GPUs are being made now. It might take longer to see the effect in the Titan series since that is a niche card and relatively few are purchased vs. the 780 series (and especially since the 780 Ti is essentially a Titan for $400 less).

Of course, as I said, due to the Ti being just on par with the Titan minus the FP64 capability for nearly $400 less, it's possible that we won't see this effect for a long time. But it will happen eventually, and as such is not a surefire bet anymore. Because of that, only the GF770 and below are recommended as compatible cards now.
I'm sitting on an unopened Asus GTX 780 DCII OC and after reading this very informative thread and a number of others, I am debating on filing and RMA with newegg and going with a 770 (I made the purchase before the December Buying Guide). I'm assuming the card I have is Rev.B considering I purchased it about two to three weeks ago. I could be wrong but I don't really want to open the package just to check.

I was wondering if you fine folks could take a minute and explain the major issues with the Rev.B. I'm a graphic designer and rely on Creative Suite (CS4) but I do all my gaming in Windows which is on it's own HDD within my case.

GK110B based cards will crash if OpenCL is called in OS X. It's fine in Windows, but if you use any apps that need OpenCL, get a 770 instead. It sucks to lose that much power, but OpenCL apps can't even launch on a GK110B card, making your workflow come to a grinding halt.

So I did a little sleuthing and contact Asus with a serial number, with hopes they could advise me on which Revision the card was. I was hoping I could tell everyone here, that yes they can find that information for you based on the serial, but I can't. However, I was able to discover that the general warranty start date was 10/30/2013.

Does anyone have a general idea of when the switch to revision b was made? I assume that since the warranty start date is 10/30/2013, that the manufacture date was at some point before then. Also do these numbers mean anything to anyone: VG0A04.

I also reached out to NVIDIA and asked about drivers (why not?) but basically got a canned response with a link to a $600 GTX 680 Mac version.

GK110B production began back in June and started trickling out to vendors in September. The more time passes, the more cards out there will be using GK110B and fewer using GK110A.

Googled your model, seems that you have Rev A1.

http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products/xl/188812/5/asus_gtx780dc2oc3gd5.jpg

Found here:
http://us.hardware.info/productinfo/188812/asus-gtx780-dc2oc-3gd5

You should google your exact model to be sure.

Be aware that newer versions will have the GK110B. Only older unsold stock from the previous fab will have GK110A.

Also on the ASUS website it states this:

ASUS GeForce® GTX 780 DirectCU II graphics cards feature an ASUS-designed PCB and a completely new look for the DirectCU II cooler, as well as DIGI+ VRM digital power delivery and robust Super Alloy Power components. GeForce® GTX 780 DirectCU II cards use an NVIDIA® GK110-300 GPU with 2304 CUDA cores. They ship with 3GB GDDR5 video memory on a 384-bit interface. For avid PC gamers who demand ultra-high detail and readiness for resolutions beyond full HD 1080p, GeForce® GTX 780 DirectCU II cards deliver extreme cooling, stability, and endurance well above reference card standards.

Its the GK110-400 which is the B version/revision, not the GK110-300 which is the A version (am I right? - Im pretty certain on that but tbh not 100%)

https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX780DC2OC3GD5/

The GK110-400 is the GPU in the Titan. It's possible that will end up with a "B" revision down the road too. Likely in fact.

So, are the B chips going to be showing up in all 780 cards? Or is it a different chip and will only show up on certain boards?

All 780 series cards made after June 2013 have the GK110B GPU in them. Titan cards will take longer to show up with a Rev. B due to being a niche card and hardly ever bought now that the Ti is out.

I have OpenCL apps crash and update to 10.9.1 did not help. Maybe I should install something to solve this problem?

You will have to wait for either nVidia or Apple to release updated drivers that work with the GK110B GPU. Until then, you will see crashes. 10.9.1 does not fix this issue.

Hi alexpersegona. I also have a gtx 780 Rev.A01 GPU. All adobe CC programs work smoothly, but I have problems with preview and quick look when I open pictures, does this work for you? My system running 10.9.1

If you are crashing when trying to view pictures, then you do not have a GK110A GPU. GPU-Z reports "A1" in the window, but if you see 80.00.80.00.XX for the BIOS number, you have a GK110B GPU. You'll have to wait for a fix to be released, if it ever happens.

When I took a chance and bought my 780 GTX from CL, I saw that the board came with the bios starting with 80.10... and not 80.80... like the ver B1 boards.

BTW, yes my preview is working after I updated to 10.9.1. I think it'll be next near to impossible to get the older Rev A1 boards unless you buy use (assuming the majority of A1 boards have already sold). Hopefully, Nvidia will release some new drivers soon.

The best way to check is look for the bios version printed on the board and then look for it on this site:
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?did=10de-1004--

From there you will be able to track down your cards and see what revision it is.

The BIOS isn't printed on the board. It's only found using GPU-Z, so it's impossible to guarantee the card has a GK110A just by looking at the box.
I do not understand. My video card should work - it "GK110-300-A1" and it really works Premiere Pro, Photoshop and AE rabotaeyut too! But the problem is - iPhoto gives an error, I can not open the image by double-clicking - error.

What to do?

If you are going by the "Revision" field in GPU-Z under Windows you will not get the correct result. GPU-Z has not been updated to correctly detect the GK110B GPU. If you are crashing when opening pictures in iPhoto, QuickLook, or Preview, you have a GK110B GPU.

You will have to wait for either nVidia or Apple to release updated drivers that work with the GK110B GPU. Until then, you will see crashes. 10.9.1 does not fix this issue.

But i have GK110-300-A1.

The BIOS isn't printed on the board. It's only found using GPU-Z, so it's impossible to guarantee the card has a GK110A just by looking at the box.

If you are going by the "Revision" field in GPU-Z under Windows you will not get the correct result. GPU-Z has not been updated to correctly detect the GK110B GPU. If you are crashing when opening pictures in iPhoto, QuickLook, or Preview, you have a GK110B GPU.

Actually, the bios was printed on the back of my board. Even thought the Nvidia inspector showed a slightly different bios version they both started with 80.10 (rev A) and not 80.80 (rev B). I can only speak to my EVGA, maybe other makes don't print the default bios.

Anyways, I only mention this because seeing the printed Bios on the board gave me confidence in buying the GPU on CL - and if it worked for me it can work for someone else.

if you use any apps that need OpenCL, get a 770 instead. It sucks to lose that much power, but OpenCL apps can't even launch on a GK110B card, making your workflow come to a grinding halt.

Do you think this card would work in OSX? MSI Gaming N770 TF 4GD5/OC GeForce GTX 770 4GB

Its the 4GB GTX 770 (MSI), Ive seen people on here using the Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB card with out any problems, Im interested in the MSI GTX 770 4GB card but want to make sure before I buy.

Your opinion/input would be greatly appreciated (as usual)!

Yes, I think my MSI 780 Gaming is version B.
Preview and quick look both crash.

Luckily Premiere Pro CS6 works fine. So it seems, I'm not getting Premiere CC anytime soon.

This will halt my project of learning to program with OpenCL. I hope NVidia get it fixed.

But i have GK110-300-A1.

Can you tell me (or show me) exactly where you are getting the information that you have a GK110-300-A1 at? You haven't provided that crucial bit of information.

Actually, the bios was printed on the back of my board. Even thought the Nvidia inspector showed a slightly different bios version they both started with 80.10 (rev A) and not 80.80 (rev B). I can only speak to my EVGA, maybe other makes don't print the default bios.

Anyways, I only mention this because seeing the printed Bios on the board gave me confidence in buying the GPU on CL - and if it worked for me it can work for someone else.

Most don't print the BIOS info on there. I didn't think to look for that info on my EVGA card when I got it because I hadn't yet run into this issue. Having that info beforehand though can make or break a purchase. Was your BIOS info visible on the board's sticker through the clear window in the packaging? If not, the purchaser will still have to open the box and potentially lose some options with regard to returns.

Do you think this card would work in OSX? MSI Gaming N770 TF 4GD5/OC GeForce GTX 770 4GB

Its the 4GB GTX 770 (MSI), Ive seen people on here using the Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB card with out any problems, Im interested in the MSI GTX 770 4GB card but want to make sure before I buy.

Your opinion/input would be greatly appreciated (as usual)!

Assuming there is no >3 GB VRAM bug present in Mavericks' drivers (there shouldn't be), this card should work, as it is GK104 based.

Assuming there is no >3 GB VRAM bug present in Mavericks' drivers (there shouldn't be), this card should work, as it is GK104 based.

Ive read others using the Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB card without any problems whatsoever, it seems to work OOTB

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...gb-2400mhz-memory-gtx-770-4gb.html#post731579

"I had the GTX 770 hooked up all the way through the installation process of both operating systems. Both recognized it 100% natively (well, Windows needed the Nvidia driver)."

I assume this means (appears as if) 4GB VRAM would then be compatible with OSX?

If so was considering EVGA Classified GTX 770 4GB since it is factory overclocked.

MSI 4GB card or the EVGA 4GB Classified - wanted to ask given that the GTX 770 4GB Gigabyte card works OOTB (double check before purchasing)

thank you again for all of your replies, they have been most helpful and very much appreciated!

But i have GK110-300-A1.

Can you tell me (or show me) exactly where you are getting the information that you have a GK110-300-A1 at? You haven't provided that crucial bit of information.

I would guess it's (incorrect) information from GPU-Z. I have the same card (Gigabyte GTX 780 OC Rev 2.0) and GPU-Z shows the revision as A1, whilst the BIOS is 80.80... No surprise, though, considering rev 2.0 is a new edition of the Gigabyte card launched August-September.

I came across this (and other) threads a while back, before buying my card. If I was going to get a 780 (and I was pretty set on one), it was unavoidably going to be a GK110B card, so I figured I'd at least go for something really up to date. I hoped this would all be patched before I actually got round to installing OSX with the card. Alas.

Any Solution to fix the Problem ?

Hey guys! Im building a Haswell 4770K machine and i would love to put a Asus DCUII 780 but it seems to not work proporly in certain applications...
What do you suggest?
Buying a 780 and use de HD4600 from the 4770k until there is a drivers release for the 780 or buying the 770 instead and i don't have to mess around to much?
I want the 780 so much because in comparison to the 770, it packs that extra "humpf" that i need to last more time that the 770 that is almost a rebadge of the 680...
I want to have a graphics card that will last me a long time. What is Nvidia doesn't release the drivers? They don't need to... The only reason they had the drivers is because of the 680 for the Mac Pro and the 6xx cards would get a "free ride" from the drivers. The 770 and below are all based on the GK104 processor, the same as the 680, therefrom working with the drivers that Nvidia provided for the 680. Please let me know of your opinion about if there will be Nvidia drivers for the 780 and beyond.
I will also be installing Windows 8.1 on this machine on another drive. The 780 will help me alot in gaming and productivity.
I saw a post refering to an app that you can install that lets you use only the integrated graphics instaed of the dedicated graphics. But if there is any problem with the app not working i can always, in last case, remove the 780 from the PCIe slot and run on the 4770k.
Let me know what you guys think! I really need this sorted out so i can order the components..
So should i buy the 780 and do what i explain before or buy the 770 and it's all done?

Thanks for the help :)
JaEras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back