Graphics
RX 570
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
The problem started with the OS 10.5 upgrade. Here was my original system:

Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard
Intel Core i7-2600
EVGA GTX 550ti

It worked under 10.7.4, but I had to set the computer to "Never Sleep." This was the only way I could keep the USB working and my EyeTV DVR program operating when I was not around.

When I used software update to install 10.7.5, there was a sleep problem. Also, after trying to fix it by removing various Kexts, I ended with a system that would not boot (Kernel Panic). [It is interesting to note here that my real 2011 Mac Mini would boot just fine from this system install.]

I started over, reinstalled OS 10.7.0 using my Unibeast flash drive. Then I used Multibeast with mostly standard settings. Finally, I applied the OSX 10.7.5 Combined Updater. This worked, but the display would not wake from a long period of non-use. I say non-use, because I set both the display and the computer to never sleep in the Energy Saver preferences pane. I left the computer for a while with the screen saver on and the monitor turned off. When I returned, tapping the keyboard awakened something, but the screen turned gray, and then blue (BSOD?). No input from this point would do anything. Rebooting, I found that the computer DVR program EyeTV had recorded the intended television program. It appeared that the computer was functioning properly, but the display was not. Looking at the numerous posts on the 550ti regarding sleep issues, I decided it was time to try a new graphics card instead of trying unsuccessfully to fix this one as so many others had.

Enter the EVGA GTX 660ti. After installing the card, the computer generated a kernel panic every time I started. It didn't matter which system I chose, 10.7.5 with updated NVidia drivers, the original 10.7.5 from the last install, or the original 10.7.0 version. (I have multiple partitions on my drive.)

I booted from my USB Unibeast drive again and tried a fresh install. Install goes fine, but OS 10.7.0 will not boot; neither will any other 10.7.x. I have attached a picture of my last kernel panic when trying to boot one of my 10.7.5 installations, but all function the same. Note that this was with -v PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No.

For now I am returning to the 550ti. I would prefer to see if I could get a fully functioning system with the 660ti, but I am trying not to have to upgrade to OS 10.8. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• SC1web.jpg
    SC1web.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 226
1) are you using a macpro SMBIOS definition?
2) as i understand the 660ti is only supported by mountain lion, not earlier versions. though i might be mistaken about that, when i upgraded my 10.7.4 system with a 660ti, i upgraded to 10.8.2 at the same time. works great there.

i have the same mobo.

After more research, it does appear that the 660ti requires Mountain Lion to work. Since ML is inexpensive, I am now planning to upgrade. I agree with you - I don't care for any of the new features in ML, just the graphics support.

1. Since your system is so close to mine, does your system properly wake from sleep with the 660ti and 10.8.2?

2. When you upgraded, did you do a clean install of 10.8.2, or just apply the upgrade from the App Store to your 10.7.4 installation?

3. Which BIOS are you using on your Motherboard? I am currently running F9, but am considering an upgrade to UEFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back