Contribute
Register

GTX 660 strange issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, GTX660 are dead end for macOS.
as i can see gtx660 dead for all versions of macOS, because i had glitch problem on each

So first what i did, installed Catalina, all worked fine before i didnt run some applications
then i see glitches like in first post here

okay, im downloaded High Sierra but still have same issue, OS working fine again while im not staring some applications like Skype, the nvidia web driver didnt help me to, nvidia web driver boot flag also
here is my EFI in attachments

the last macOS version what worked totally fine for me it was ElCapitan, but its so old for me

ah, okay, i understood, the last macOS what working fine with GTX660 its just Sierra, not High right?

but, very strange, why OS working fine without any application, and only after any application is started we can see glitch issues

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.9 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
as i can see gtx660 dead for all versions of macOS, because i had glitch problem on each

So first what i did, installed Catalina, all worked fine before i didnt run some applications
then i see glitches like in first post here

okay, im downloaded High Sierra but still have same issue, OS working fine again while im not staring some applications like Skype, the nvidia web driver didnt help me to, nvidia web driver boot flag also
here is my EFI in attachments

the last macOS version what worked totally fine for me it was ElCapitan, but its so old for me

ah, okay, i understood, the last macOS what working fine with GTX660 its just Sierra, not High right?

but, very strange, why OS working fine without any application, and only after any application is started we can see glitch issues

This is due to memory leak. Nothing can be done. Change your GPU if you can.

This is due to memory leak. Nothing can be done. Change your GPU if you can.
Can't be a memory leak if it works in earlier versions of OS X and not in later versions. If it was a memory leak it would happen in every version. I use to use GTX 660 in El Capitan and earlier no issues whatsoever.

Can't be a memory leak if it works in earlier versions of OS X and not in later versions. If it was a memory leak it would happen in every version. I use to use GTX 660 in El Capitan and earlier no issues whatsoever.

Why ?? Please explain, when full drivers and OS have changed...

Why ?? Please explain, when full drivers and OS have changed...
The FIX is to open up TERMINAL. Type in nvram boot-args. If you seen nvda_drv=1 in there then its using boot argument in the NVRAM looking for nvidia webdrivers. Well in Catalina they are already built in there is NO need to to have this boot argument whatsoever if they are built into Catalina. So if this is the only thing you see in your boot argument then type in: sudo nvram -d boot-args and it will delete it. Reboot and boom the pixel stuff will be fixed. Trust me my GTX 660 works just fine after doing this. Its just a argument conflict that is causing an issue.

If there was a memory leak it would have happens in previous OS X versions and the GTX 660 worked perfectly in previous versions BTW.

Last edited:
The FIX is to open up TERMINAL. Type in nvram boot-args. If you seen nvda_drv=1 in there then its using boot argument in the NVRAM looking for nvidia webdrivers. Well in Catalina they are already built in there is NO need to to have this boot argument whatsoever if they are built into Catalina. So if this is the only thing you see in your boot argument then type in: sudo nvram -d boot-args and it will delete it. Reboot and boom the pixel stuff will be fixed. Trust me my GTX 6600 works just fine after doing this. Its just a argument conflict that is causing an issue.

If there was a memory leak it would have happens in previous OS X versions and the GTX 6600 worked perfectly in previous versions BTW. I have 3 GTX 6600 cards and 2 750 TI cards so I know what works and what doesn't. I am saving them to create a cyrptocoin mining rig soon in OS X soon.
Never used web drivers on my GTX 660 system as it is native nor enabling nvidia in config plist. Same system, same config plist with 770 no problem...

Never used web drivers on my GTX 660 system as it is native nor enabling nvidia in config plist. Same system, same config plist with 770 no problem...
They are having issues with GTX 660 with pixels all over the screen. The issue is with CLOVER's vram automatically using nvda_drv=1 in boot arguments as part of the NVRAM. You cannot disable it unless you do as the steps above and the GTX 660 works just fine once you disable this. There is no memory leak lol.

They are having issues with GTX 660 with pixels all over the screen. The issue is with CLOVER's vram automatically using nvda_drv=1 in boot arguments as part of the NVRAM. You cannot disable it unless you do as the steps above and the GTX 660 works just fine once you disable this. There is no memory leak lol.

if it works perfect for you, good to know. I cannot test anymore as I sold mine since this problem. I hope someone else report the same as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back