Contribute
Register

GTX 660 glitch issue with MacOS High Sierra 10.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is that card? I read in the reviews that the fan was a little loud and had some issue with thermal/throttling at higher loads. Pricewise, it's tempting too

So, after a couple hours of playing AC Origins, it doesn't seem that bad. The GPU clock hovered around 1300 MHz. The temp maxed out around 85 C. Ambient room temp was probably around 25 C.

Sure was nice though, continuing mid-game, jumping from the 660 ti to the RX 580!

So, after a couple hours of playing AC Origins, it doesn't seem that bad. The GPU clock hovered around 1300 MHz. The temp maxed out around 85 C. Ambient room temp was probably around 25 C.

Sure was nice though, continuing mid-game, jumping from the 660 ti to the RX 580!
Dang. 85 is quite toasty. Then again, AMD GPUs are notorious for getting hot (and eating power). It's a pity nvidia doesnt work too well. Even the 1060 has issues after sleep

I tried that guide with Mojave public beta 2 and saw no difference. If anything, the glitches were worse than before. I got the multicolor glitches that make it difficult to read stuff in the menubar menus. Before following that guide, I just had lines around the menus that didn't affect usability too much.

On 10.13.6 using native NVidia drivers with GTX 660 and no artefacts after following https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-native-discrete-gpu-power-management.247479/
Using Model iMac17,1

@arjanw, before I go ahead and move from Sierra to High Sierra, would you just confirm one more time that your GTX 660 is working trouble free in 10.13.6?

Also, how difficult was it to follow the instructions for Native Discrete GPU Power Management? (they look a bit complicated to me:)

And lastly, when you say "using native NVidia drivers", does that mean you installed them from somewhere, or native support from High Sierra? (so far I've never had to install anything to make the GTX 660 work, I specifically bought it for its native support).

Many thanks in advance!!

@arjanw, before I go ahead and move from Sierra to High Sierra, would you just confirm one more time that your GTX 660 is working trouble free in 10.13.6?

Also, how difficult was it to follow the instructions for Native Discrete GPU Power Management? (they look a bit complicated to me:)

And lastly, when you say "using native NVidia drivers", does that mean you installed them from somewhere, or native support from High Sierra? (so far I've never had to install anything to make the GTX 660 work, I specifically bought it for its native support).

Many thanks in advance!!
Im pretty sure the 660 already has native power management. I havent checked it on that guide but ive been watching the clock and memory speeds and they go up and down just like in windows (i.e. 324 mhz on the core). During load, it jumps to 1032 MHz on core, 3002 MHz on memory

Im pretty sure the 660 already has native power management. I havent checked it on that guide but ive been watching the clock and memory speeds and they go up and down just like in windows (i.e. 324 mhz on the core). During load, it jumps to 1032 MHz on core, 3002 MHz on memory

@saudor, thanks for the reply. So this would mean that I wouldn't need to follow the instructions for Native Discrete GPU Power Management, correct? Are you using the 660 with High Sierra? Have you experienced the glitch issue? I did a premature upgrade to High Sierra in June, only to realize that the card was not supported anymore. Since I didn't want to get a new graphics card just yet, I went back to my older system. Now I don't want to make the same mistake again :)

@saudor, thanks for the reply. So this would mean that I wouldn't need to follow the instructions for Native Discrete GPU Power Management, correct? Are you using the 660 with High Sierra? Have you experienced the glitch issue? I did a premature upgrade to High Sierra in June, only to realize that the card was not supported anymore. Since I didn't want to get a new graphics card just yet, I went back to my older system. Now I don't want to make the same mistake again :)
With the native controls and driver its still glitchs here... even with the changes i've made in the BIOS VGA... and nothing resolves

I dont did this procedures mensioned by arjanw because actually I didnt understand a bunch of things :rolleyes::oops:... but I can answer you abou the Nvidia Drivers... its a pack with drivers for unsupporteded (major newer) cards to use with MacOS... sometinmes it have a newer driver to use... but it was tested in the beggining with no lucky

Anyone tryed the paths mentioned above?

With the native controls and driver its still glitchs here... even with the changes i've made in the BIOS VGA... and nothing resolves

I dont did this procedures mensioned by arjanw because actually I didnt understand a bunch of things :rolleyes::oops:... but I can answer you abou the Nvidia Drivers... its a pack with drivers for unsupporteded (major newer) cards to use with MacOS... sometinmes it have a newer driver to use... but it was tested in the beggining with no lucky

Anyone tryed the paths mentioned above?

My last post in this thread was referring to the guide arjanw posted, I should have quoted his post. I saw no improvement after setting up native power management with Mojave.

Im currently using the HD 5770 but every now and then i toss in the 660 and it's the same issue. None of the tips mentioned here help. Ive also tried disabling metal and still no go. The issue persists in Mojave too

However, some folks with 650 Ti have seen fewer/less intense glitches by installing CUDA/Web drivers.

Anyways for the time being, Im going to stay on HS with the 5770. The pascal 10 series are 2 years old and NVIDIA will probably take 6 months to get the web drivers out for the 11 series. the rx 580 is a year old.. and is based on the rx 480 which is 2 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back