Contribute
Register

GTX 660 glitch issue with MacOS High Sierra 10.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for a hint about this problem. It is already amazing that for months no one is looking right!

Has anybody take a look into the error logging (console) if a glitch beginns? No?
Maybe you should do that!

Then you would notice that just before a glitch starts, an error "... unknown graphics device ..." shows up!
And this problem is not related to the driver(s).

What´s the decisive (graphic) change that Apple has done with high sierra compared to Sierra?

It is not just only limited to one Card, it concerns a series of PC-cards within the Kepler architecture.
Most affect is the GTX660.

This is not directly a Metal2 fault, kepler cards are suitable for Metal.
The reason is that in PC sector everything is always a little different!

There is a configuration of the output matrix that is most common with the GTX660 and that causes problems in relation with Metal2.

The driver works properly but the transfer does not because in some situations the ports are not recognized clean.
And that usually happens whenever there is a relation to the Metal2 API.

Please let us know when you have the fix ready!

I have not studied this much yet, but after what I have seen, there is no chance to fix this problem.
Or in other words: there is always a way but the effort ....
There are some big differences between Sierra and High Sierra in the graphics "thing".

Apple is about to change the open policy that we have had on MacOS and OSX. MacOS is becoming more and more like iOS.

How do you recognize this?
The new MacBooks, complete soldered hardware.
The last MacPro6.1, graphics card soldered.
The new iMacs must be completely disassembled to upgrade the SSD or memory.
MacOS or OSX was previously open because of the old hardware, so the MacPro's up to 5.1.
But in future, there is no way anymore to use a different graphic Card in a Mac.

I even think that the MacPro will become extinct. With the new iMacPro, the MacPro is obsolete.

I could imagine that High Sierra will be the last OS that will running on a MacPro5.1.
And then, drivers and system configurations, that were previously necessary for the operation of the older devices, will omitted.
Everything will be tuned to the hardware Apple is using. The problem we always had only got worse.

Apple will make no changes! Because of PC Kepler cards? No way!
The Kepler cards that have been used in the Mac so far work fine! And who screwed a PC Carte in his MacPro, does that without Apple Support!

And the move away from intel chips is coming............

According to unofficial sources, until 2020 Apple wants to publish its own CPU based on ARM architecture for a non iOS device.
The idea comes from the current MacBooks with Touchbar. The Touchbar has its own SoC based on ARM!

For a iMac or pro device, the ARM architecture would still be too weak.
But for a beginner MacBook, maybe iMac... Then Apple would also have a good sales pitch for the Pro devices.
With Intel CPU, 4000 Doller or Euro or ... more!

And somehow Apple always manages to sell old ideas for new, and that good!
A pimped shoe box with which you can do everything, except demanding applications, we already had. Netbooks with Atom CPU.
And because it's Apple, it only costs 2000. So I'm not an Apple hater, but yeah, that's the direction with the new CPUs...

I have not studied this much yet, but after what I have seen, there is no chance to fix this problem. Or in other words: there is always a way but the effort ....

There are some big differences between Sierra and High Sierra in the graphics "thing".

I said myself some time after this issue became apparent : If you own a GTX 660 / 660 Ti / 650 Ti Boost and may be other 6xx Kepler cards, then you either go back to Sierra, or replace your card by another supported in High Sierra if you insist on using High Sierra. Personally I see nothing in High Sierra that is superior to Sierra anyway so I am using Sierra as my main OS on my system although I also have El Capitan and High Sierra installed, just to see if High Sierra works or not.

By the way, the GTX 760, being also a Kepler card, apparently does not suffer from the glitches in High Sierra, as far as I can see.

Can someone please add any of the cards that are not affected with this issue... meaning right out of the box, you install and that's it? Thx.

Can someone please add any of the cards that are not affected with this issue... meaning right out of the box, you install and that's it? Thx.
Also interested in this . :)

re- high or sierra

on my old x58 board I really do find high Sierra to be more stable in so many small ways (it actually shutdown 9/10 in HS), that it adds up to a pain to go back to Sierra.......

Very frustrating. Whatever the cause, it effect video transcoding so glitches appear in the video which is a mess.

The idea of going back to Sierra is unsustainable.

And not for nothing, but the glitches appear even when I am not connected to my discrete nVidia graphics cards.

Very frustrating. Whatever the cause, it effect video transcoding so glitches appear in the video which is a mess.

The idea of going back to Sierra is unsustainable.

And not for nothing, but the glitches appear even when I am not connected to my discrete nVidia graphics cards.

I think it's time to get something like an RX560 4GB. It's very affordable and you will gain more performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back