Contribute
Register

GTX 660 glitch issue with MacOS High Sierra 10.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
im finding my system to be really stable at the moment, with the glitches rarely appearing, and the machine actually shutting down cleanly 9 times out of ten.... (x58 issues)..
one weird thing I have tho is,
if I need to restart to clear the screen of glitch, I always have to remove and then replace my USB bluetooth dongle to make contact with pad and keyboard.... never at first start, only on restart....... ANYONE, have a clue what this could be (nothing to do with graphics card and off this thread)......

beep

If my system doesn't shut down correctly, I have to do this about half the time. It never does it if I shut down correctly.

It seems that enabling the internal graphics in BIOS solves the issue. I have my second monitor hooked up to the internal cart and have not had any glitches anymore on my main monitor hooked up to the 660!

I've also seen improvements by using just the onboard graphics, but it has not solved the issue for me as artifacts remain.

Has anyone updated to the recent security release? Any improvements with graphics?

I've also seen improvements by using just the onboard graphics, but it has not solved the issue for me as artifacts remain.

Has anyone updated to the recent security release? Any improvements with graphics?

The glitches didn't come back for about an hour, but they came back. On my system after this update, they aren't has bad as they were after the last update.

Time for a hint about this problem. It is already amazing that for months no one is looking right!

Has anybody take a look into the error logging (console) if a glitch beginns? No?
Maybe you should do that!

Then you would notice that just before a glitch starts, an error "... unknown graphics device ..." shows up!
And this problem is not related to the driver(s).

What´s the decisive (graphic) change that Apple has done with high sierra compared to Sierra?

Last edited:
interesting.....
so are you are suggesting the implementation of metal 2 is the culprit here?
and in that case why is this glitch issue limited to a single card?

It is not just only limited to one Card, it concerns a series of PC-cards within the Kepler architecture.
Most affect is the GTX660.

This is not directly a Metal2 fault, kepler cards are suitable for Metal.
The reason is that in PC sector everything is always a little different!

There is a configuration of the output matrix that is most common with the GTX660 and that causes problems in relation with Metal2.

The driver works properly but the transfer does not because in some situations the ports are not recognized clean.
And that usually happens whenever there is a relation to the Metal2 API.

Last edited:
nicely observed......

where exactly do I find "error logging". a cursory search in console is confusing me...... (again)

Time for a hint about this problem. It is already amazing that for months no one is looking right!

Has anybody take a look into the error logging (console) if a glitch beginns? No?
Maybe you should do that!

Then you would notice that just before a glitch starts, an error "... unknown graphics device ..." shows up!
And this problem is not related to the driver(s).

What´s the decisive (graphic) change that Apple has done with high sierra compared to Sierra?

The app console in your utilities folder... This one where you see all events and also errors.
If you run this App, immediately you can see the "live" logging/messaging....

Last edited:
ta, ive not yet spent the time to familiarise myself with the new version of console.... im on it, homework list

wp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back