Contribute
Register

GTX 660 glitch issue with MacOS High Sierra 10.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
tempted by AMD.....
in fact I have an old and card somewhere.. I may spin it up.... wondering if I could run both, yet have never found a way to use bath cards at the same time..... is it even possible?

Check the following thread in the graphics forum:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/

Windows does not allow two different graphics cards to be used (AMD and Nvidia) at the same time but macOS does. The issue for graphics dependent applications is how do you select the AMD or Nvidia card for the application. You cannot as Apple hasn't needed to implement this for any of its hardware and that means that you will often end up with the wrong card working. While it is possible to reboot and disable nvidia drivers for FCPX and you may be able to do something to prevent the AMD card from working , but this is all a lot of inconvenience which is far from practical.

FCPX will run really well with an AMD RX560 card - much better than a GTX 1080Ti and you will likely see little difference between a GTX660 and a RX560 for Adobe. If you want to improve perfomance in both applications then step up to the Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB -Scan have these on backorder for £399, but on Amazon;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071CQ5LRV/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Here is a list of the cards that Apple now officially support for High Sierra 10.13.4
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...or-egpu-use-macos-high-sierra-10-13-4.248965/

If you want a new all rounder card that is affordable and works right now in macOS 10.13.4 really well in FCPX and could be used as a spare backup card in the future that is macOS compatible then the RX560 is the only one that really makes any sense for people using FCPX and Abobe applications.

thank's so much Adrian..... thats really comprehensive and very useful.....
if my graphics card was the only thing I was working on I would have been more up to speed, as it is im buried in so much tech research I really can't keep up on my own...... this is exactly what community is for....

a quick scan on uk ebay has one for 130 English pounds and another with 3 days to go for 99p hahahaha

ta very

ps I have found my AMD Radeon HD 6870 GV-R687OC and have no idea what this would be like now.... may well be better then the glitching 660 for now?

Last edited:
I so much prefer bigger numbers (when bigger numbers are best)......

both ebay models I noted are indeed 1024 SPs

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents. NVidia is probably changing something. The glitchs have a very different behaviour now.
  1. Open something used to cause that (for example, world of warcraft).
  2. Wait for the glitches (open 2 things that uses the videocard, like world of warcraft and Final Cut).
  3. Glitches will appear
  4. Close the program with glitches, open again and it's glitch free.
This behaviour didn't happened to me before. When something start glitching, everything else start bloating. But this time, if I close the program with glitches, next time I open the glitches is gone (isn't glitch free, they'll appear after some time, but still is better than before).

Using last update + CUDA 387.178 + GPU Deriver 387.10.10.10.30.103.

yup, I agree,
since the last updates I have a slightly different flavour of glitches

just missed bidding on an amd radeon rx 560, was going to punt £77 but got distracted and it went for £68.... grrrrrrr

wow

this seems to be just the ticket.......
im now exporting an utterly glitch free 90 minute project from fop that was glitch city before......
I do believe this is close to a miracle........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back