Contribute
Register

GTX 660 glitch issue with MacOS High Sierra 10.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried this. Didn't work for me.

Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH, i7 CPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
Fresh install of 10.13.3 downloaded 2/20/2018 from Apple.
Such a shame...im not interested in spending $400+ on a new video card for NO good reason.
have you tried updating clover?

have you tried updating clover?

Yes, running newest version. Ive tried all sorts for things from here and there. It seems directly related to the High Sierra drivers and specific hardware. Mostly "boost" and OC versions. Ive been overclocking computers since 1991. Ive done lots, to lots.
Bad drivers. Even rendered video records the corruptions.
5xx, 6xx, 7xx, 10xx cards are displaying problems. Apple and Non-Apple computers.

NOTE: my home build (same system core; Z170, i7 4.4, 32GB PC4 25600) has a GTX 970 with 4GB GDDR5 256-bit memory, 1200 MHz GPU with 1664 CUDA Cores.
Im running 10.13.2 over .3 because SO MANY were having lagging video issues. This .2 high Sierra runs well. I even have Adobe CC Suite installed. PremierPro CC using CUDA acceleration. Everything works! Very happy, powerful Production and Entertainment machine! This is a Fresh build, recently, onto a Samsung PCIe 951 M.2 512GB boot drive. iCloud is 110%
A few days later I went to install the same onto my office machine which is nearly a clone but with a GTX 650 TI and its been nothing but a pain in the ass and a time waster :(

Although my home build works great my previous install, 10.12.6 looked better. High Sierra display has more saturated color, loss of detail in the shadows. Its disappointing in comparison. Im using a 40" Sony XBR LCD as a display. I use a USB DAC, OnBoard Audio, HDMI Audio and Bluetooth audio. Apple and Logitech BT Keyboards and mice. All working fine. But my Sierra build was also fine and looked better.
Im disappointed in High Sierra overall. Whats the advantage over Sierra 10.12.6?
I DO like the speed of the APFS. its very cool but...

Maybe 10.13.4 and new Nvidia drivers will have it all fixed!

Has Apple hired people from Microsoft or Google lately? Seems like it.

Yes, running newest version. Ive tried all sorts for things from here and there. It seems directly related to the High Sierra drivers and specific hardware. Mostly "boost" and OC versions. Ive been overclocking computers since 1991. Ive done lots, to lots.
Bad drivers. Even rendered video records the corruptions.
5xx, 6xx, 7xx, 10xx cards are displaying problems. Apple and Non-Apple computers.

That's unfortunate. High sierra offers things like HEVC which is nice to have. the OS in general is buggy so i think ill end up staying on sierra until 10.14 drops

Yes but Nvidia web drivers required AFAIK, no native support.

Thanks. i need CUDA so i always use the web drivers.
My 650TI shows artifacts as with so many.

Is the/your GTX 780 clean?

The 780 has three times the CUDA cores as a 1050 and twice the 1060. The 1070 and 1080 have the most but I'm not paying $900 for one.
Id like to replace the 650 with either a 780 or 970/980...or something with strong CUDA acceleration for Video Editing and Graphics.

What did you do to get your 650 Ti to work at all? I have a 650 Ti-448 but all I get is the Lockscreen error. Been looking for a solution that does not have me buying a new card.

Thanks!

Hey -

Sorry for the late reply.

Not sure I can help. The card works natively with OSX and I have never seen the "lockscreen error".

Thanks. i need CUDA so i always use the web drivers.
My 650TI shows artifacts as with so many.

Is the/your GTX 780 clean?

The 780 has three times the CUDA cores as a 1050 and twice the 1060. The 1070 and 1080 have the most but I'm not paying $900 for one.
Id like to replace the 650 with either a 780 or 970/980...or something with strong CUDA acceleration for Video Editing and Graphics.

I do not have one, but I red here and there that 780 is working under HS.
IMHO, 7 series gtx are too old now for a daily computer. They become warm, they are noisy and they are draining a lot of power. You need room in your case even in a middle tower. They lack Vram too.

10 series are crazy expensive at the moment. I paid my gtx 1070 420€ last year...

For me a gtx 970 is a good choice, in my country you can find some for about 160€.

My 2 cents.

I have both a 780 and a 660 in my computer.
The 780 alone works great with high sierra and nvidia drivers ! :thumbup:

When both cards are connected and the 780 is plugged to my monitor, the computer slows down a lot and I lost transparency on some UI elements. When I try to connect the 660 to the monitor when both cards are connected I have the glitches but I don't have slowdowns... :crazy:

(I use both cards for CUDA 3D rendering, it would be so great to be able to use them both with macOS :cry:)

I do not have one, but I red here and there that 780 is working under HS.
IMHO, 7 series gtx are too old now for a daily computer. They become warm, they are noisy and they are draining a lot of power. You need room in your case even in a middle tower. They lack Vram too.

10 series are crazy expensive at the moment. I paid my gtx 1070 420€ last year...

For me a gtx 970 is a good choice, in my country you can find some for about 160€.

My 2 cents.

I have the 970 in my home rig but in my office i use the 650. Its been great mostly. Big computer case, multiple Hard Drives in RAID so its no big deal. For what i do the CUDA cores are KEY for video-editing acceleration. Most models including the 9xx and 10xx series have a fraction of the CUDA cores. The 980 beats the snot out of most 10xx cards except for the 1070 and 1080. The 1050 and 1060 are substancially slower than my 970. The 780 is the ONLY 700 series card with a high number of CUDA cores! Its the ONLY 700 series card Id consider because of its Production ability. NOT for gaming.
USED I'm seeing them sell for $350USD and up. Im seeing USED 970 and 980 cards selling for $500USD. I bought my 970 NEW 2 years ago for $250!

I never expected this problem with the 600 series boost cards and High Sierra. Makes it impossible to upgrade to this Mac OS until they fix it IF they fix it properly. My 970 looked better on Sierra 10.12.6 than it does on HS 10.13.2. Significantly better! Thats sad.

I appreciate the response. it all helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back