Contribute
Register

GTX 660 and Apple Cinema Display (Mini Display Port Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Prime Z390-P
CPU
Intel CORE I5-9600K
Graphics
XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS
Hi Guys,

I figure it's time to upgrade my monitor as it's the only part that's letting my hack down at the minute.

I've read on this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/124349-apple-led-cinema-display-evga-geforce-gtx-660-a.html

That a user managed to get the monitor working by using an adapter to convert the mini-displayport to regular displayport and plug that into the GTX 660. There's a few more posts on the net that suggest this wouldn't work though or that you'd need to be lucky with the cables you got.

My question is can anyone definitively say that it would work if I bought a 27" display, like I want the full resolution of 2560x1440 and the webcam/mic to work (i believe these are through USB)

Or am i best off just looking at other lets face it, cheaper alternatives?

I do this successfully with an EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 TI (2GB) connected to my iMac running the PC/hackintosh in TargetDisplayMode. Mic/Camera are not carried-over.

It's important to note that I did not have any luck with a different-brand GTX 660. It had to be the EVGA version. Please keep that in mind. I use a DisplayPort -> MiniDisplayPort cable to connect the two. The specific cable I use is "6ft 32AWG Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPortCable - White" from Monoprice.

The setup works great. Nothing like having a better-performing iMac driving the beautiful 27" iMac display!

I know that this is an old thread, but would any of you mind posting your config.plist or other tips on how to set this up? I am trying to get something similar on a EVGA GTX 950 and my DisplayPorts are firing blanks (while HDMI works great).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back