Contribute
Register

GTX 650 working OOB (mostly, other than iTunes video playback)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have been using my HD4000 waiting for a new "OOB" GPU to switch to. My system has been working great with the HD4000, however I needed a bit more oomph and the GT640 seemed over priced for having DDR3. I ordered the Gigabyte GTX 650 2GB card (GV-N650OC-2GI).

The box arrived this morning, I shutdown OSX, installed the card, made a few tweaks in the BIOS and booted right up.

I have the BIOS set to init PEG first but also have the HD4000 enabled. I have 1 display connected by DVI and the other by HDMI. OpenCL/GL seem to be working fine, so far everything seems functional except for video playback in iTunes. I have to admit, I didn't test that under the HD4000 either. I have the transparent menu bar and Open GL Extension viewer shows everything as being enabled and all tests run.

I did not make any changes to my chameleon boot plist beyond how it was set for the HD4000, I just installed the GTX 650. I have no desire to run HDMI audio and have no ability to test that, sorry for those that are bound to ask. I have not installed CUDA or any other Geforce specific drivers that are not native to OSX.

Now if I can get iTunes video play back working it'll be perfect. One key requirement for me was to have a quiet system, I do not believe the GTX650 is audible over the normal case noises (other fans and a noise SATA drive).

Do you have any problems with Youtube playback? My entire display freezes up when playing Youtube videos. I can still ssh in and trigger a shutdown, so it looks like it's just the graphics layer that's frozen.

Steam games, DVD player, etc all work fine though.

I'm running the 1GB Gigabyte GTX 650.

I am having similar problems. Internet video does not work, purple/green lines then system crashes. iTunes seems to be fine though. I have not installed any drivers besides CUDA 5.0. Would the multibeast drivers help? Atlex, what/how exactly did you edit those kexts?

I have been using my HD4000 waiting for a new "OOB" GPU to switch to. My system has been working great with the HD4000, however I needed a bit more oomph and the GT640 seemed over priced for having DDR3. I ordered the Gigabyte GTX 650 2GB card (GV-N650OC-2GI).

The box arrived this morning, I shutdown OSX, installed the card, made a few tweaks in the BIOS and booted right up.

I have the BIOS set to init PEG first but also have the HD4000 enabled. I have 1 display connected by DVI and the other by HDMI. OpenCL/GL seem to be working fine, so far everything seems functional except for video playback in iTunes. I have to admit, I didn't test that under the HD4000 either. I have the transparent menu bar and Open GL Extension viewer shows everything as being enabled and all tests run.

I did not make any changes to my chameleon boot plist beyond how it was set for the HD4000, I just installed the GTX 650. I have no desire to run HDMI audio and have no ability to test that, sorry for those that are bound to ask. I have not installed CUDA or any other Geforce specific drivers that are not native to OSX.

Now if I can get iTunes video play back working it'll be perfect. One key requirement for me was to have a quiet system, I do not believe the GTX650 is audible over the normal case noises (other fans and a noise SATA drive).

So for someone who's want a speed bump over HD 4000, is the 650 a viable option ? I'm looking at the MSI GTX 650 Power Edition for it's price and cooling or the Gigabyte cos it has 2GB VRAM (Dunno if the 2GB makes any difference ?). Can you show an About This Mac screenshot of it working please ? Thanks ! :)

Voila_Capture735.png
Voila_Capture736.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back