Contribute
Register

Gtx 650, who tried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one of these running for about 3 days now. Took a few tries to realize that 'GraphicsEnabler=no' needed to be on when first installing MultiBeast updates. I would get a full-rez/color screen on installation and then booting to the UDB drive for MultiBeast, but then when I booted form the system disk, I would get a white screen. Other than that, it seems to be working well on my end. HDMI audio out from the GPU is my next tast.

I got my parts yesterday, built my system and so far mine (EVGA 1GB SC) seems to be running fine even without AGPM edits. The only issue I"m having is that the system locks up when plugging a VGA monitor into it through a DVI-I adapter. Anyone get a VGA monitor running on theirs? I find it odd because it only locks up once OS X is installed, it ran just fine during the installer.

What exactly have you done in terms of installation? I have the Gtx 650 in my build (evga 2GB SC) and the fan is noisy (sounds like its running at 100%) and I can't play video without my system crashing. What system definition did you use? Could this affect my performance? I'm on 10.8.0.

Installation for me was rather simple. I had the system already running using the onboard HD400 video with 2 displays, 1 on DVI and 1 on HDMI using MacMini 5,1 system. This was done with GE=no, and defining the device properties in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist per the build write up for my GA-Z77-UP5TH.

For installation, I shutdown my system. Installed the physical GTX650 GPU into my X16 slot, booted into the BIOS and set to Init the PEG display first but also for embedded HD4000 to be enabled. I then saved the BIOS settings and shutdown.

I disconnected 1 monitor and connected it to the GTX650 and booted, once booted OSX detected the 2nd display correctly. I then unplugged the "first" display and moved it over to the GTX650 and it was also detected correctly. I set my display arrangement to my preferences and have been running since. I have 1 Dell U2410 on DVI and one on HDMI, would have both on DVI except I only have 1 DVI cable and it works...so why spend the $ on a cable?

I have not done any of the power management edits as it has been fine and why fix what isn't broken? I did delete the FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/OemSMBIOS.kex file after upgrading to 10.8.2, but that has been it.

I've been rather fortunate, as my Hackintosh (my first) was super simple to build and has been in use as my every day work computer and has been rock solid. I am running 10.8.2, I have custom SSDT.aml allowing me to get 7 speed steps up to 4.4GHz, the system runs <40 degrees most of the time and typically in the mod 30 degree range. This is a GA-Z77-UP5TH, i7-3770K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H80 cooler, onboard NIC, etc. Geekbench of 15035: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1060308

I scooped up a GTX 650 Ti, the Gigabyte 2gb of Video Ram version. At first I thought I hosed myself when it kernel panicked whenever I installed the card, but I can now report it's working fully on 10.8.2. I still don't have HDMI audio set up, working on that now. The big thing was to get the 300... or higher series drivers from Nvidia directly, see link below. (There is a 270... or something series of drivers for Mac that won't work). iTunes video is working for me. I logged into my account, authorized this computer, and can download and play my purchased content.

Steps I took:
Used internal HD 4000 to set system up.

Made sure to include GraphicsEnabler=No in Multibeast

Installed Nvidia drivers for 660 Ti from http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-...02-driver.html
(note: there are BOTH graphics drivers and Cuda drivers available for OS X. Some people have gotten mixed up thinking only Cuda drivers were available. Cuda are available at another link on their page.)

Installed AppleACPIPlatform.kext for ML, from this link 10.8.2 problem

Installed FakeSMC and NullCpuPowerManagement kexts from this linkhttp://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top...install-guide/
(not sure if Null... was needed, but did it anyway)

Shut down. Inserted GTX 650 Ti, made sure it was enabled in BIOS (PEG). And it... worked!

could it work with just GE=No and nVidia Drivers and without all those extra kexts ? They seem to be the ones you would remove in order to use a MacPro5,1 definition ?

I believe it does work with just GE=No, but I don't want to bork my system just to test ;)

I needed the Nvidia drivers under 10.8.2

And I think you need some System definition, like MacBook Pro 8,1 or Mac Pro 3,1 or iMac 12,1 or 2

Also Installed AppleACPIPlatform.kext for ML, from this link 10.8.2 problem
I think those are minimums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back