Contribute
Register

GTX 4xx Fermi Cards & 10.6.8 - QE, OpenGL/CL & CUDA Benches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: GTX 480 & 10.6.8 - QE, OpenGL/CL & CUDA Benches

Okay I'm going to explain this as best as I can, so you can fully understand about "Gaming" cards vs "Workstation/Multimedia" cards and what their intended use is for.

Gaming Cards work to improve frame and graphic rates to make your game play more fluid, smooth and graphically appealing, (but you already know this).

Workstation/Multimedia Cards work to improve your rendering speeds to cut down on time when you're producing and exporting a video as well as saving and exporting a Photoshop-type file.

My older (now fried) Mac Intel Tower was able to render a 10 - 15 min video in about 55 to 65 min. :banghead: WAY TOO LONG !!! My Mac Hak Pro (that I currently use) can render that same video in 20 to 30 min. Much better; that is in part because I have OC'd the CPU and increased the amount of RAM that I have in my unit. Using an ATI card would NOT improve anything to cut down my rendering times, so all the rendering "pressure" would still be on the CPU and RAM to render my videos.

Nvidia cards that use - CUDA and Mercury supporting drivers in their cards to make the CPU, RAM AND the GPU work together when rendering on apps (like Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Motion, Lightwave, Maya 3D, Etc.) to cut your rendering times down 30 to 40% (sometimes up to 50 to 60% depending on the application being used). So that same 10 min video that took up to 30 min. to render now takes anywhere from 14 - 18 min. to render (and sometimes a little less, depending on the how you save the file). That's a considerable amount of time saved.

And THAT'S what I'm looking for in a GPU. Mind you, not all Nvidia cards can do this ONLY cards that utilize CUDA and Mercury support drivers to make ALL 3 units (CPU, RAM & GPU) work together to cut down on your rendering times.

The added extra bonus to the particular card is that it can also play almost ANY game out there that you can throw at it without a hitch on Hi-Res and still get amazing frame rates. The GTX 480 is ONE POWERFUL CARD. and if you water cool it and OC it; like in this video:

you can match and even surpass the power and performance of the GTX 570 or 580 Superclocked version by OC'ing this bad boy; very much like OC'ing a CPU. What's amazing about this video is that it's already a year old and I feel like I'm getting a "new" card and waterblock (as I ordered both today) and can't wait to install this in our unit.

Here are the specs for you to print out (if you would like) to compare the performance from GTX 480, 570 & 580 Superclocked GPUs. Then watch the video (again) and this time see the OC performance improvement that you'll receive using the GTX 480 and the waterblock from Koolance (which by the way, I'm a reseller for, so if you want the Koolance 480 waterblock, PM me and let me know). They're even selling this at a reduced price.

GTX 480 Superclocked:
http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/015-P3-1482.pdf

GTX 570 Superclocked:
http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/012-P3-1572.pdf

GTX 580 Superclocked:
http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/015-P3-1582.pdf

Also, something else I wanted to note, this whole thing started because I was looking into the Nvidia Quadro 4000 because that very card is an "Workstation/Multimedia Driven" card meant to cut down rendering times on those very hi-end apps I was talking about earlier - BUT the pricetag on the Quadro 4000... $700+ - OUCH !!! :eek: As I was on the "Download Drivers" page for this particular card, I read comment on this link:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cud ... river.html

"Support for both Quadro FX 4800 for Mac and GeForce GTX 285 for MAC"

That confused me a bit and that started to make me wonder why they would mention that. Well, once I did a few minutes of research and googled around for an answer I quickly found out that the GTX 285 card was not only a gaming card but also a application rendering card and I found some amazing info right here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/26 ... ID=2675778

Read both pages see what I'm talking about. Mind you there were a couple of other sites like this one too. I also posted a comment and haven't heard back from DPArt (one of the guys who contributed his research to the link (above); pretty thorough). I don't know if he got offended because I have Mac Hack Pro or doesn't know how to answer the question after explaining things a bit more clearly to him about how my system is set up. I'd like to think it's the latter. BUT regardless, his point brought some validity to what I thought. That the GTX 285 card is basically the same (and in some cases better) at rendering projects than the overpriced Quadro 4000. So that made me wonder about the other cards (like GTX 470 & 480). My gut on right on this one as well. After doing some more reading on these cards and their support with using CUDA and Mercury drivers, I'm realizing there is more power to an OC'd Watercooled GTX 480 Card (that costs a total of $340.00 and runs near half the temp fully OC'd) over a Quadro 4000 that costs more than twice that amount. So I'm eager to try this out and see what it can do.

As is what's typical, I'm sure that a year or two from now there will be a card twice the speed and performance of this one, but here we are (a year later) and the GTX 480 is STILL - DA' BOMB !!! :thumbup:

Just to let anyone know (who reading this), if I'm incorrect on anything that I'm sharing here, please correct my research as I want to be as accurate as possible so I'm being a help, not a hindrance to anyone. Thanks for asking the question leluoch and anyone taking the time to read this. Hope this info helps to clear up some things on the performance of what these GPU's can do. They're MORE than just "gaming" cards... Later... :)
u r my new hero
very very thx for all hard work
whats about kona3g card ( aja system ) it can cut down my rendering times or not ?
again thanks

u r my new hero
very very thx for all hard work
whats about kona3g card ( aja system ) it can cut down my rendering times or not ?
again thanks

Hi leluoch:

When it comes to that type of card (found here):

http://www.aja.com/products/kona/kona3g/

I don't know how that would work in this kind of a system. I'm not saying it can't, I'm just saying I don't know. Plus it's $2,000 !!! :eek: :eek: :eek: For that price that thing needs to drive my kids to school. :lolno:

On a side note - Hey Thi - Where you at ??? :confused: Ever since I gave you that link on YouTube, it's like you disappeared. What, you working on that thing; testing it out? Did you contact that guy? You know he's using a lot of the apps that are on this site. After watching it though, I still don't think that he was as thorough as you were. His input still was very helpful. I always prefer video anyway. I'm an "audio/visual" learner. My wife is the "chalkboard/textbook" learning type. Get back to me, and thanks for all your input and help !!! :clap: Can't wait to get these parts and finally install this stuff... I'm amped !!! :thumbup:
hi my hero
i will build a first hack video workstation with kona3g pcie card.
after alot alot of reading im sure it will work but i still wait for lion come out !!!
thanks

leluoch said:
hi my hero
i will build a first hack video workstation with kona3g pcie card.
after alot alot of reading im sure it will work but i still wait for lion come out !!!
thanks

"hi my hero???"
You are TOO FUNNY !!! :lol: Don't "praise" me too much. Like I said before, even with the amount of homework I did into this, I could be a bit off on my research. I'm sure their are aspects about the Quadro 4000 (and higher models) that I'm sure perform better in different rendering aspects. But for the most part, the GTX 285 and MORE SO the GTX 470 & 480 definitely can go toe to toe and cost less than half the price tag. But like I said before it needs to be WATER COOLED because the history of these cards is THEY RUN HOT, VERY HOT !!! You saw the video; I mean 70° - 99°C ?!?! That's way too hot for any card, and will definitely shorten the life of that GPU. You simply can't beat Water Cooling !!! Did you see the results on that vid? Man, that water block cut the temps near 50% (@ 36° - 47°C) !!! That's amazing !!!

But again, I'm very grateful for being able to ask tough questions and get some really good answers from a variety of people that have contributed their thoughts and research and for me to be able to collect those thoughts and put them here on this post for you (or anyone) to read. I look forward to receiving and upgrading all my parts here soon. It still will take me about two weeks before I can start this project of upgrading my Mac Hak Pro (MHP), as I am swamped with work and need my MHP to accomplish the work I need to get done. I will be reserving a full week to dedicate my time and efforts to make sure that everything is installed properly and running smoothly. Until that time I'm really not in the know for sure how well this card performs, but I'm looking forward to the amazing results… Again, we'll see what happens… I'm hopeful... :thumbup:

Thanks again, for the Big-Ups Leluoch, Later...

PS, I'm still waiting for Thi and his thoughts on the Hackintosh install tutorial on YouTube that I posted yesterday. He's been very diligent on getting back to everyone pretty quickly... :rolleyes:

PSS, I just found this out in my searching:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/specs/

Look at the requirements for FCP X and what it utilizes... OpenCL-capable graphics card. That's sweet...

and here are the cards that DON'T meet the system requirements:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4664

So far this is looking good for the GTX 285, 470 & 480 series of cards... :clap: But again, we'll see what happens when we test it...

nice very nice
OpenCL in SL is primarily for use with the GPU, and rendering times in FCP are reliant on the codec,
so opencl lets (CPU + RAM & GPU ) works together
also soon ATi GPU will be better than nvidia card because all new apps Based on opencl.
(opencl = CUDA ATi bulit in osx ) :?:

It's a real pleasure to read you. Sorry this is a quick reply. I'm still working on the GTX480, I improved my benchmarks. I played TF2 3 hours today FULL graphics mode online. I've got laggs at the beginning of the game, probably due to graphics caching or something like that, then after 2 min everything is smooth, very smooth :) and it's a real pleasure to play TF2.

I also made Pyrit to work with CUDA, now I'm about 30.000 PMKs/s, and I still can improve these results for the GTX480, will try that later.

I also ran smokeparticules ~ 73 fps.

I've also improved my CINEBENCH score by 2 pts.

smokeparticules_Thireus_GTX480_improved_10.6.8.png

CINEBENCH_Thireus_new_score_10.6.8_ENGTX480.png

Sorry, I don't have time to post here but I read new replies when they come ;). Also I have a job.

About the YouTube video, I already saw that one before purchasing my ENGTX480. That's interesting, and might be great, but I don't have the money nor the right config to do this hack.

When will you get your card?

Roger that. ;) I'm waiting for you.
-------

After 2 days uptime:

I just have noticed that smokeParticles is more effective when there's no Finder window around... How the hell is that possible?

With 7 windows (2xFirefox, Mail, 3xFinder, Terminal) on the same view, smokePartiles drops to 30fps !!!

Without any Window around, I get 71fps....

EDIT:

This bad performance is due to AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. I've deleted this kext and booted no cache, there's no more lags with 7 windows ;) but we need a proper fix for it.

Thanks for the update. BTW, I'm texting you from my phone. Although I don't use windows 7, that's an interesting comparison.

Not Windows 7, but a number of 7 windows/apps diplayed on the screen. :p

UPDATE:

Using Pyrit (https://code.google.com/p/pyrit/)

#1: 'CUDA-Device #1 'GeForce GTX 480'': 29219.5 PMKs/s (RTT 2.8)
#2: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)': 1020.2 PMKs/s (RTT 3.0)

I'm trying to get the best out of my nvidia GTX 470 as well. but first, I'd like to get it work in 64 bit mode at all :)

after doing the 10.6.8 upgrade, it seems there is a conflict between the official nvidia drivers and the updated IOPCIFamily.kext, fixing the "PCI configuration begin" issue.

I installed the 10.6.8 upgrade, and the official nvidia drivers. what I get is that it works when booting in 32 bit mode. but the boot process hangs with the "PCI configuration begin" option on 64 bit. installing the updated IOPCIFamily.kext fixes this - but the nvidia driver won't work with this kext installed. (I confirmed - reverting to the older IOPCIFamily.kext will make the nvidia driver work fine)

thus: how to make the nvidia driver work in 64 bit mode?

Hey Thi,

since you deleted that AppleGraphics Kext file, and everythings working fine, are you able to run your 480 card @ 64 bit mode? Or are you having the same issues as the the recent person's reply here NOT being able to run in 64 Bit mode, but only 32 Bit mode? Let me know please. Or maybe it just how his system is possibly set up. Waiting for input. Thanks again Thi - later... :)

Since deleting the AppleGraphics Kext file does not appear to be that efficient, I just put it back in place. I'm running 64bit kernel/os. No issue at all, no freezing, no KP, never ever.

Hey Thi,

since you deleted that AppleGraphics Kext file, and everythings working fine, are you able to run your 480 card @ 64 bit mode? Or are you having the same issues as the the recent person's reply here NOT being able to run in 64 Bit mode, but only 32 Bit mode? Let me know please. Or maybe it just how his system is possibly set up. Waiting for input. Thanks again Thi - later... :)

I didn't delete the kext, but put in a section as described by this other thread. now the framerate is a lot better, although it doesn't match the framerate of the same app (X-Plane) on Linux or Windows, on the same hardware.

no, I didn't try it in 64 bit since. but, I can only boot into 64 bit if replace IOPCIFamily.kext (otherwise it hands at PCI configuration forewer), but doing so will simply make the nvidia drivers 'not work' / 'not recognized' :(

akosmaroy alias Thireus ? xD

PS: nevermind ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back