AMD Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
So I'm building my 4th Hackintosh and I'm looking to go the Tony Mac way since it's the easiest way to get a stable machine that runs well... but I don't know which graphics card to use.

I need multiple display (at least two so on-board video won't do) and possible CUDA support for Nebula (but this is really minimal, no real high-end CUDA performance is needed). I was thinking the 640 since it's the most affordable and I am trying to keep my build under 900, €. However, this card is very unimpressive and I thought, why not go with the GTX 550 Ti? Well, just so happens that it appears to be not the most supported card on OSX (far enough :), but what about the GTX 480? I can get one used for about 100-150, €. I'd rather not have to get the GTX 660, but if I can run 3 displays and get real great long term performance out of it, I am willing to spend the extra dough.

Thank you for the help (just haven't kept up with the hackintosh thing these past 2 years and the whole game is changed... o_O
:D

P.s. I don't really understand this whole Nvidia graphics thing since they just released those new drivers... I'm kinda blown away, but the thought of plug and play on a Hack.

I wouldn't get the GTX 660 since it needs driver installations to get it working. Read through this thread if you want.

What I have read is that the GTX 670 works with 3 monitors but I don't know anything about the lower class.:mrgreen:

I don't mind installing Nvidia drivers :) But what's up with multi-display support beyond 2 displays?

Will the GTX 480 do it for me as well? I will be installing Mountain Lion on my new machine.

I wouldn't get the GTX 660 since it needs driver installations to get it working. Read through this thread if you want.

What I have read is that the GTX 670 works with 3 monitors but I don't know anything about the lower class.:mrgreen:

OK, so it seems I'm going to go with the GTX 660 and just install the drivers for the card before installing the actual card into the machine... but how many displays can I run off of it, if it has more than two outputs?

This is kind of important because if I can only run two then I might go with two GT 640's.

I guess you will be the guinea pig this time.

I guess you will be the guinea pig this time.

Gosh... I was the Guinea pig back when we were hackintoshing Leopard... I'm tired of Guinea pigging it everytime I buy a system, lol. But I guess this is really not that complicated. Worst case scenario I will get a GT 640 if the GTX 660 can't do multiple displays.

Thanks for the link earlier. Found plenty of info :)

................................................................................................................................................................................

(Flash back sound effect) This brings back the nightmares I had running OSX on a 3200+ with Leopard and a patched Kernel... was that really 5 years ago? Gosh... time flies.

Or trying to get an X1600 working in Leopard and then later Snow Leopard... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back