Contribute
Register

GTX 470 unrecognized with 10.8.3 (Normally Natively !?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
XPS 420
CPU
Intel Q6600 2,4 gHz
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 470
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[SOLVED] GTX 470 unrecognized with 10.8.3 (Normally Natively !?)

Hello

With the release of Mountain Lion 10.8.2, the GF100 graphics cards are recognized natively.
Good news for me, I am in possession of an EVGA Nvidia GTX 470.

But no ! Let me explain:

So I try to install 10.8.3 Lion Mountain but I encounter an error below:
IMG_1319.jpg
It's a screenshot just before blackscreen.

I tried the commands GraphicsEnabler=No, npci=0x3000 but it doesn't work.
The only way to fix this error is to apply the method below:
1. Prepare your ML USB Stick using Unibeast.
2. Get the ML 10.8.2 drivers from the Nvidia web-site. Open this DMG file.
3. There should be a 304.00.05f02 Web Release.mpkg file.
4. Select Show Package Contents on this file. Then select Contents -> Packages and you should find a webDriverPayload_jLhsf.pkg file
5. Select Show Package Contents on this file. Then select Contents and copy the Archive.pax.gz to your desktop.
6. Open Archive.pax.gz (You can use the built-in Archive Utility to do so). In the resulting Archive folder are all the files you need.
7. Now insert your ML USB Drive, and have hidden files enabled.
8. Goto System -> Library -> Extensions in the USB root directory and copy to this folder Geforce.kext, NVDAGF100Hal.kext, NVDAGK100Hal.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext & NVDAResman.kext from step 6. These should overwrite the existing kexts in the Extensions folder. You may need to delete the existing files before you can copy across the new files.
9. Try using the ML USB Drive. You may have to set GraphicsEnabler=No and/or npci=0x3000 from the command line before booting into ML Setup.

I apply the kexts extracted from Nvidia Quadro drivers 304.00.05f02 which are:
GeForce.kext
NVDAGF100Hal.kext
NVDAGK100Hal.kext
NVDANV50Hal.kext
NVDAResman.kext
in System/Lybrary/Extensions in my Unibeast USB key (because in Extra/Extensions doesn't work)
This allows me to boot without problem.
In order to see my hard drives I also use the kexts LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext and LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx.kext , put in System/Lybrary/Extensions for installation, and in Extra/Extensions to be able to boot on the HDD after the installation completed.

Once in the desktop I see that my Graphics card is not recognized, I have only in about this mac the mention : NVIDIA Chip Model 3MB
IMG_1445.JPG

However with ML 10.8.2/3 GTX 470 should be recognized natively.
So my question is: where comes this problem and how to fix it ?

I have two hypotheses:
1 - I crushed the native ML kexts with those of the drivers NVIDIA site that doesn't work properly on my setup. How can I boot without using the Nvidia kexts from the website? Knowing that native kexts from ML allow normally to manage GTX 470 graphics card.

2 - kexts LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext and/or LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx.kext are problematic or it's an another kext missing. In fact I have every time in verbose mode line
** AppleSMBusPCI :: start failed to get acpi path for provider
and also
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin :: start - waitForService (ressourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out)

Or I forgot something: s
I'm a little disappointed.

I hope someone can help me to move forward.
Thank you very much for your help in advance ;)

PS: Excuse me for my bad english

Maybe I need to inject my Device ID into a Nvidia kext on the Unibeast USB key because it's an EVGA cards.
Or I try with 10.8.2 ...

I tried the commands GraphicsEnabler=No, npci=0x3000 but it doesn't work.

Fermi class GPUs don't use GraphicsEnabler=No, that applies only to Kepler NVIDIA cards.

470 graphics cards work oob, so you shouldn't have to go and start messing with kexts for a GTX 470.

If you're going to install a fresh 10.8.3, you should probably use '-v -x'. You may need to also use a PCIRootUID kernel flag if that doesn't work.

Fermi class GPUs don't use GraphicsEnabler=No, that applies only to Kepler NVIDIA cards.

470 graphics cards work oob, so you shouldn't have to go and start messing with kexts for a GTX 470.

If you're going to install a fresh 10.8.3, you should probably use '-v -x'. You may need to also use a PCIRootUID kernel flag if that doesn't work.

Thanks for your reply.
I try with the boot option under 10.8.3 and 10.8.2
-v -x
-v -x PCIRootUID=0
-v -x PCIRootUID=1
but I have always the same issue

This is a capture taken just before the black screen
Problem.jpg

[SOLVED] GTX 470 unrecognized with 10.8.3 (Normally Natively !?)

I find the solution :)
I use the command PCIRoot=1 -v -x for the installation.
At the end of the installation I boot on the HDD without anything boot command ;)
I install the OpenCL and Driver Retail with Multibeast and now all work fine !

Strangely, my precedent solution don't work now ...
I wanted to format but I still have a black screen at the end of the boot processs, my graphics card NVidia GTX 470 does not send information to the screen :/

After a long time (1 month, maybe 2 ^^ ) I finaly find the solution of my black screen who happen at the end of the boot sequence.

I use the bootflags PCIRootUID=4 and it work with OSX 10.8.3 and 10.8.4 with all the ram recognize, the good resolution and the graphic acceleration enable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back